The Right Hand Rule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I heard something interesting (and disturbing) from my Physics professor. He was teaching the right hand rule for electromagnetism and he said that we should be careful if were to use it on the MCAT because a number of his students have had trouble with cheating accusations. Apparently, the proctors may think that you're making hand signals to someone else in the room. Has anyone had this happen to them? I feel so much more confident in my answer when I do the hand motions instead of just visualizing them.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt you will need the right hand rule on the mcat. I never encountered it on the aamcs or the real thing.

the proctors can't even see into the cubicles from where they sit (at least at the testing center that I went to). This is an unreasonable concern - although you may well have to determine the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some places don't have testing centers. I took the MCAT in Fairbanks, AK in a classroom with about 15 others on desks - this was before the invention of computerized testing so I could see the professor's point. I didn't take a test on computer until 2005.

the proctors can't even see into the cubicles from where they sit (at least at the testing center that I went to). This is an unreasonable concern - although you may well have to determine the force on a moving charge in a magnetic field on the MCAT.

While they won't always have a direct line of sight, they can still watch you through the many security cameras that record you the entire time.

I wouldn't take the risk of them thinking I'm helping someone cheat. Try picturing your hand in your mind for the right hand rule.