The right way to withdraw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hednej

***** Level 60
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of us have to do it. What is the right way? Phone, email, letter?
I want to show them that I still appreciate their love, but can't make it, so I guess letter, but I don't know if it will get there by the time I make up my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure your partner is comfortable and then .... ooops ... never mind ... had something else in mind. :laugh: :laugh:

hurry up and do it....

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of us have to do it. What is the right way? Phone, email, letter?
I want to show them that I still appreciate their love, but can't make it, so I guess letter, but I don't know if it will get there by the time I make up my mind.

Why care?

everyone should be polite

aim for their eye.

Why care?

They certainly don't take the time, emotion, and effort to help those applicants they reject or simply ignore (with a few exceptions).:rolleyes:

umm yeah because every school is really polite....

Amen. Let's stick it to the man. Let's only treat people how they treat us. Let's send out our vibes of hate to all haters (even if they don't hate us--they did accept us after all--but who cares!) Down with authority! Down with those in power! Down with all medical schools and admissions offices! They're all got the same surreptitious agenda to devalue us as human beings. In fact, they take time to individually ignore thousands of applications, just to give us that extra crisp and deserved kick in the groin. Those secretaries in the admissions office who read the letters deserve no courtesy whatsoever! We'll make them pay for our terrible MCAT scores and piss-poor grades and [expletive deleted] writing skills and forgettable letters of recommendations. That'll show those admissions office workers not to ignore our applications and teach them that they better treat every applicant of 10,000 like the regrettably unique melted snowflake that they are.

call them, tell them thanks but no thanks. inquire about your refund. then follow up with either an email or letter.

Amen. Let's stick it to the man. Let's only treat people how they treat us. Let's send out our vibes of hate to all haters (even if they don't hate us--they did accept us after all--but who cares!) Down with authority! Down with those in power! Down with all medical schools and admissions offices! They're all got the same surreptitious agenda to devalue us as human beings. In fact, they take time to individually ignore thousands of applications, just to give us that extra crisp and deserved kick in the groin. Those secretaries in the admissions office who read the letters deserve no courtesy whatsoever! We'll make them pay for our terrible MCAT scores and piss-poor grades and [expletive deleted] writing skills and forgettable letters of recommendations. That'll show those admissions office workers not to ignore our applications and teach them that they better treat every applicant of 10,000 like the regrettably unique melted snowflake that they are.

random comment

Make sure your partner is comfortable and then .... ooops ... never mind ... had something else in mind. :laugh: :laugh:

Studies has proven time and time again that the withdrawal method is quite inefficient. You might need to practice safer amcas methods.

Members don't see this ad :)

Shut up.

The OP, just call them or email them, thank them for accepting you, apologize for not matriculating, tell them you have chosen to attend another school, and end.

Concise and polite.

I went with email, its faster than mail, but still puts it in writing.

Just jot down something along the lines of:

Dear Admissions Director:

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance and forfeit my seat for the Medical School that was nice enough to accept me, class of 2011. It was an honor to be offered a place in your 2007 entering class, but I have decided to matriculate at another university for personal reasons.

Thank you for your consideration, and I truly regret that I will not be able to attend Med school in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Your Name
AMCAS # 12345678

I've been withdrawing via email using a format another SDNer posted a few months ago...

Dear Dean XXX,

I would like to thank you for my acceptance to XYZ Medical School. I have been very impressed with [whatever you liked about the school]. At this time, however; I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted to another program which I believe will be a better fit for me. My deposit may be refunded to the address below. I truly do appreciate the consideration of your admissions committee.

Thank you again,
[Your name]

[Your address]

has anyone here heard of people getting kicked out of the school they matriculated to, after they started their first year(i.e. october-november), for failing to withdraw from another school they were accepted to?

Wait, which schools are we talking about?:)

I've been withdrawing via email using a format another SDNer posted a few months ago...

Dear Dean XXX,

I would like to thank you for my acceptance to XYZ Medical School. I have been very impressed with [whatever you liked about the school]. At this time, however; I will be withdrawing my acceptance as I have been accepted to another program which I believe will be a better fit for me. My deposit may be refunded to the address below. I truly do appreciate the consideration of your admissions committee.

Thank you again,
[Your name]

[Your address]

thanks. So email counts as official? I guess I'll send an email and a letter.
And this thread reminded me of why I don't post on pre-allo anymore. Thank god I can move on to the allopathic forums now.

And this thread reminded me of why I don't post on pre-allo anymore. Thank god I can move on to the allopathic forums now.

All the med schools I've withdrawn from acknowledged my email withdrawl as official...so if you wanna check with your individual schools beforehand via phone to make sure email's okay, I would just do that and save the postage and hassle.

That's two for three (but probably all I'm gonna get since LifetimeDoc is too classy to stoop to this). Eh. Batting .666 ain't bad. Maybe the Yankees should sign me.

That's two for three (but probably all I'm gonna get since LifetimeDoc is too classy to stoop to this). Eh. Batting .666 ain't bad. Maybe the Yankees should sign me.

you smell funny? er, um, i mean, you smell funny!!!

when i withdrew, email was ok too... i did it because it was quicker, and i was afraid if i did it via snail mail, it might not actually get to the appropriate desk in time... i just think that way, because mail at my college was ridic. slow... also, just be really polite! You may want to go there for residency! hehe!

I've been assuming that withdrawing "in writing" (requested by some schools) means "paper letter," but maybe that's old-fashioned of me.

For me, the admissions process is just another job (if I was on the adcom) and I wouldn't care how people withdrew, as long as it's not rude.

It's not a big deal - you withdraw and then they go "Okay, applicant AMCAS # XXXXXX withdrew, NEXT!"

Just let them know you are withdrawing, if you want to say thanks that's okay, but I don't think the administrative staff who goes through tons of apps will care what you have to say - they'll read the words "would like to withdraw" and then it ends there, unless they have spare time.