The sacrifices of being pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's saturday night and my friends are going out to a new cantina right now, while i am stuck inside studying for my biochem midterm. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SAVE ME tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Members don't see this ad.

So it's saturday night and my friends are going out to a new cantina right now, while i am stuck inside studying for my biochem midterm. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SAVE ME tell me there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Yes. All the weekend studying stops when you get into medical school. Esp if you get into one of those party med schools.

Theres no real sacrifices as a pre med...outside of maybe instead of getting ****ed up 7 days a week, you can only do it 3 times per week and have to maybe study 5 days before a test instead of 1 day like most people? Pre med is only the pre reqs which arent all that hard, its just the pressure most of us neurotic pre meds have to get nothing less then an A and freak out at the sign of a B....

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, the OP is a troll. He's forever posting on how miserable he is. Search his history.

Better make sure that light at the end of the tunnel is daylight and not an oncoming train.

Nobody cares. Go away.

Nope. Just another tunnel.

dark night...from your post history it is pretty damn obvious you're not a personable guy. thus being stuck inside doing work on a sat night is not a big deal to you, but for individuals who like social contact, this sux

dark night...from your post history it is pretty damn obvious you're not a personable guy. thus being stuck inside doing work on a sat night is not a big deal to you, but for individuals who like social contact, this sux

Well fortunately, as previously stated, the hard work and long studying sessions end once you get to med school.

I just have no patience for trolls or stupid people. You start a new post every other day about how much you have to study or how much stress you have.

You are either a troll, or just not very smart.

Either way, stop posting unless you actually have a real question or something constructive to add.

So what? I am a senior, I have been accepted to one of my top choices and I am stuck studying for a biostats midterm I could not careless for... but still, I have made a commitment, and as a result I have to follow through with it. There will be lots of things you will have to sacrifice, no matter what your career choice and you need to get used to it.

A more productive thing would be to get off SDN, study, and maybe if you are done by tomorrow evening, you can take it a bit easy and go for dinner or something of the sort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whenever I'm down I take a break to breed some ponies.

people r weird, if you don't care for what the OP is saying then just don't respond.

some people just feel better venting, and they want to hear validation for what they're doing.

and will someone please tell me what this ******ed "troll" words means :cool:

people r weird, if you don't care for what the OP is saying then just don't respond.

some people just feel better venting, and they want to hear validation for what they're doing.

a troll:
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.[2]

But these people are so freaking annoying. Someone needs to put them in their place (or actually kick them out of this place).

There should be a "bitch & moan" forum for threads like this....alot of others on SDN would qualify to be put into said forum.

^with a hangover?
Im taking a break from studying now but trying to study hungover is horrible

solution: go out when you can, not nec Saturday night

It doesn't seem like you were looking for solutions to this problem though, bad habit of mine, so let's just say I hear you

In fact, now is the time to relax and enjoy your life. I hardly studied during the weekends during undergrad. Try doing that in med school and see what happens :smuggrin:

you got to be careful with these kinds of topics. course load and course/university difficulty should make for different individual experiences. just do what you need to do to do well now and face the next challenge when it presents itself - you can only live one day at a time.

I convinced my girlfriend to take calculus with me. So, when I'm studying, I'm also spending time with her. :]

In fact, now is the time to relax and enjoy your life. I hardly studied during the weekends during undergrad. Try doing that in med school and see what happens :smuggrin:
:eek::confused: How did you manage that? I don't study a lot on the weekends, but I can't get by without studying at least 3-4 hours each day on the weekends..and that's when I don't have exams :p

yes u "cool" kids sayin how you barely studied in undergrad probably come from easy/ less reputable universities. my school is a notorious pre med wedder :(...top 20

Yes. All the weekend studying stops when you get into medical school. Esp if you get into one of those party med schools.

FTW :thumbup:

OP, occasionally having to study on Saturday nights sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

yes u "cool" kids sayin how you barely studied in undergrad probably come from easy/ less reputable universities. my school is a notorious pre med wedder :(...top 20

LOL man.

just curious, what year of school are you in? i'm going to guess sophomore

Dude seriously, stop bitching. I come from top 20 and I study my butt off too, but I don't go around posting a thread every day saying how miserable my life is. Just suck it up.

ponybreeder, you have posted on SDN more than once about issues that are, to be perfectly blunt, related to your lack of strong study skills and possible lack of motivation. There was that time you were too lazy to drop a class until it was too late and you were worried you would fail because you hadn't been doing any work... and there was the time you posted about how hard it was for you to find motivation to study... Come on now. Regardless of how highly ranked your school is, or whether or not it is a premed weeder, you would probably find these challenges easier to navigate if you were willing to put in the necessary amount of work. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but your posting history leads me to believe that you are on the lazy side, and if you want to go to medical school you are going to have to learn to keep up with a heavy workload.

In regard to your original post, yes, it stinks when you have to study and all your friends are going out. I have no advice to give; it is only going to get harder. Significant demands upon your time are something that you are going to have to accept, and if you can't, then you may need to rethink your plans.

ok: There is light at the end of the tunnel :smuggrin:

ponybreeder, you have posted on SDN more than once about issues that are, to be perfectly blunt, related to your lack of strong study skills and possible lack of motivation. There was that time you were too lazy to drop a class until it was too late and you were worried you would fail because you hadn't been doing any work... and there was the time you posted about how hard it was for you to find motivation to study... Come on now. Regardless of how highly ranked your school is, or whether or not it is a premed weeder, you would probably find these challenges easier to navigate if you were willing to put in the necessary amount of work. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but your posting history leads me to believe that you are on the lazy side, and if you want to go to medical school you are going to have to learn to keep up with a heavy workload.

Well look at it this way, OP.

You go to a pre-med weed-out school and you're pre-med. This will end one of two ways. You'll either have a lot of free time on your hands or you'll have some new-found motivation to study. ;)

So study during the day, go out at night, study again on Sunday? You'd think your "top 20 brain" could comprehend this kind of simple s***.

batteries said:
^with a hangover?

Who gets hangovers every time they drink? It's very easy to know your limits and even easier to avoid hangovers barring you get black out drunk, but I dunno why you would if you knew you had studying to do.

It's your fault for going to a top 20 school. I'm dumb as hell and I don't need to study 4 hours on weekdays and 12 hours on weekends or whatever...that's beyond ridiculous.

I think most 1st and 2nd year medical students will agree that there isn't a whole lot of Friday and Saturday night studying going on. You learn to manage your time because you have to give yourself time for some fun, too. So yeah, you put in some time during the day, and when Saturday night rolls around you hang out with your SO/friends, whatever you like to do. So if medical students are not studying on Saturday night, you shouldn't be either. You need to check your time management abilities and figure out what you're doing wrong.

Looking at your post history, you went to UCLA...hate to break it to you, but UCLA isn't ranked in the top 20...I believe they were ranked #25 in the last US News rankings. Even if UCLA was a top 20, nobody cares...you sound like a total prick every time you say that.

I went to UCLA too as an undergrad...it's tough, but isn't that tough where you need to study 10 hours a day. You can do fine if you put in a consistent study schedule. I know plenty of people at UCLA (including myself) who worked, got good grades, and still had time to party or go out with friends. I worked 30 hours a week, and I know that I partied at least every Thursday and Saturday night, and I went to almost every home football game every Saturday. Heck, I'm in med school now and I still have time to go out at least once a week....most of my class goes out Friday and Saturday nights as well...those who don't go out usually spend their time with family or what not. Not too many people are studing on Friday and Saturday night if there isn't an exam on Monday.

You're either horrible at time management, or incredibly inefficient at studying. Instead of coming on here and complaining about the "sacrfices of a pre-med", maybe you should take a look at yourself and analyze what you are doing wrong.

If you want guidance on how to be more efficient, then you should ask that.

If you just want to moan and complain, then go call your mom.

I want some of your popcorn otherwise I'm gonna complain, too. :laugh:

I wanna complain as well....... The Unit is not on tonight, stupid movies changing the schedule.

Lol. We should make this the official preallo complaining thread.

I lost my one functioning mechanical pencil, so now I have to write with a crappy wood pencil:mad:.

Looking at your post history, you went to UCLA...hate to break it to you, but UCLA isn't ranked in the top 20...I believe they were ranked #25 in the last US News rankings. Even if UCLA was a top 20, nobody cares...you sound like a total prick every time you say that.

I went to UCLA too as an undergrad...it's tough, but isn't that tough where you need to study 10 hours a day. You can do fine if you put in a consistent study schedule. I know plenty of people at UCLA (including myself) who worked, got good grades, and still had time to party or go out with friends. I worked 30 hours a week, and I know that I partied at least every Thursday and Saturday night, and I went to almost every home football game every Saturday. Heck, I'm in med school now and I still have time to go out at least once a week....most of my class goes out Friday and Saturday nights as well...those who don't go out usually spend their time with family or what not. Not too many people are studing on Friday and Saturday night if there isn't an exam on Monday.

You're either horrible at time management, or incredibly inefficient at studying. Instead of coming on here and complaining about the "sacrfices of a pre-med", maybe you should take a look at yourself and analyze what you are doing wrong.

If you want guidance on how to be more efficient, then you should ask that.

If you just want to moan and complain, then go call your mom.

:thumbup:. I can almsot imagine how the OP is in real life. I have this image of him in my head.

A more productive thing would be to get off SDN, study, and maybe if you are done by tomorrow evening, you can take it a bit easy and go for dinner or something of the sort.

No... the more productive thing is to turn SDN into a drinking game. Every time you see the word "troll", take one shot. Every time you read someone bitch about their terrible life, 2 shots. Every time you read about an MCAT, 1 shot. This will get you drunk w/in half an hour, in which case you move on to...

Suggestion: Go with them. Study tomorrow.
Except do not study tomorrow. You will be way to hungover to do anything aside from get on SDN and complain about your headache (2 shots).

By the way, OP, while you are out with your friends drunk, i recommend

I convinced my girlfriend to take calculus with me. So, when I'm studying, I'm also spending time with her. :]

Dumping your girlfriend and using the "I'm going to medical school" pickup line. This will help you 1) Get laid 2) Give you more material to complain about on SDN when you get herpes 3) Have more ECs with patient contact as you will need treatment and followup for said herpes.

BTW, don't forget to post on the thread...

There should be a "bitch & moan" forum for threads like this....alot of others on SDN would qualify to be put into said forum.

Actually, screw it. There doesn't need to be a bitch and moan SDN forum, because obviously that is quite redundant (hence this thread).

Two words for you:
Time management

mmm ah-aha-aha-a alcyhol

we should turn this into whats everyones favorite beer thread

There is no reason during undergraduate for any person to be "maxed" out. I have known several people who struggled during the pre-reqs and sure enough they either did not get into medical school or had to study almost exclusively during med school if they did get in. I am not trying to pat myself on the back, but I once took 21 hours in order to finish up my electives and still had a fair amount of free time. Cut the whining and manage your time better. If you are struggling now you will definately struggle later.

Status
Not open for further replies.