The scoop on follow-up phone calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope the interview trail is winding down smoothly for all of you!

To anyone who went through the application process last year, could you please comment on your experiences with follow-up phone calls/ e-mails from PDs, etc.? I hear rumors about this, and the opinions about them seem to vary. I came home this weekend and was shocked - and delighted - to find an encouraging message from the chairman at one of my top choices on my machine. I'm trying not to let the incident influence the ordering of my ROL, and I'm just wondering if programs make calls like this to HALF of the people they interview, or if it's more selective. I'm encouraged but wary.

Thanks in advance for your input! Have a great weekend. :)

Members don't see this ad.

ExtraCrispy said:

To anyone who went through the application process last year, could you please comment on your experiences with follow-up phone calls/ e-mails from PDs, etc.? I hear rumors about this, and the opinions about them seem to vary. I came home this weekend and was shocked - and delighted - to find an encouraging message from the chairman at one of my top choices on my machine. I'm trying not to let the incident influence the ordering of my ROL, and I'm just wondering if programs make calls like this to HALF of the people they interview, or if it's more selective. I'm encouraged but wary.

Every program and PD is different obviously. From my experience I would say a phone call is a sign of more serious intent and it requires more effort than a form thank you letter or even an email. Since we interview more than 120 people, I can't imagine our PD making calls to 50% or even 10% of the applicants.

Bottom line is don't let this influence your ROL - there are no promises made until the contract is in your hand. If the program wasn't going to be your first choice, I wouldn't change the order of my list based on the phone call.

ExtraCrispy said:

I got a similar call this weekend and had the same question. Also, are we expected to return the call?

Members don't see this ad :)
lapape said:
I got a similar call this weekend and had the same question. Also, are we expected to return the call?

I got one too. I don't think you need to if it was similar to mine.

I would argue strongly in favor of returning any and all of these calls. Especially if you plan to be an academic surgeon, you will work with these people for the rest of your life. You never know when you will come across these individuals when applying for jobs and/or fellowships. They took the time to call you; you should dignify this with a reply.

There is no harm in being tactfully candid and telling a place that is not your top choice that you are "still considering" your options.

now where is this place that is calling, and should i be worried if i'm not getting those calls? or letters? of course, i haven't checked my mail in weeks...

scrappy said:
now where is this place that is calling, and should i be worried if i'm not getting those calls? or letters? of course, i haven't checked my mail in weeks...

For what it's worth...

The only call I received post-interview was from a program I seriously considered not even ranking. I went with the more informal email thank-yous, as opposed to written ones. I received responses by email from all but 2 programs. One of those 2 programs sent a nice snail mail letter.

Ironically, I ultimately matched at the program that I received NO follow-up response from faculty to my thank-yous (although I corresponded with their coordinator).

deb (current pgy-1)