The SDN Meal-Prep and Recipie Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also, meal prepping any pasta dish (healthy mac and cheese, ground turkey breast bolognese, etc.) with banza chickpea pasta or explore asian edamame spaghetti is heaven on earth especially if you're counting macros.
Bro, lets get some deets on these recipes. Asking for a friend

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Do any of you girls actually watch what you eat to not gain weight?
I don't but I sort of did in HS when I stopped working out.
Is that still a thing?

Also for healthy desserts try dark chocolate covered strawberries or brown sugar bananas ( brown sugar, butter, bananas, rum cooked on stove).

Do any of you girls actually watch what you eat to not gain weight?
I don't but I sort of did in HS when I stopped working out.
Is that still a thing?

Also for healthy desserts try dark chocolate covered strawberries or brown sugar bananas ( brown sugar, butter, bananas, rum cooked on stove).

Also known as bananas foster? lol I was thinking this but it's got so much sugar and butter (and it's best served with some vanilla ice cream), I just didn't think it was all that healthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also known as bananas foster? lol I was thinking this but it's got so much sugar and butter (and it's best served with some vanilla ice cream), I just didn't think it was all that healthy.
With yoghurt. Should have said that. And forgot the name XD

also, meal prepping any pasta dish (healthy mac and cheese, ground turkey breast bolognese, etc.) with banza chickpea pasta or explore asian edamame spaghetti is heaven on earth especially if you're counting macros.

This chickpea pasta sounds like something I would love, but i just looked it up and damn it's expensive... Is it good enough to be worth the money? I could buy more than twice as much regular pasta for the price, probably three times if there's a sale.

Reactions: 1 user
With yoghurt. Should have said that. And forgot the name XD
Meh unless it's froyo, Imma pass on that healthy alternative and I'll stick with my unhealthy fat-full ice cream haha

Reactions: 1 users
I do a weekly breakfast sandwich/burrito meal prep, because I hate waking up earlier than I need to (well actually 6 breakfast meals).

1) I cook 12 whole eggs along with a carton of egg whites (equivalent of 10 eggs). ~160 calories F= 10.6g, C=1.2g, P=16.6g per sandwich/burrito
2) Then I cook 2 packages of canadian bacon (F=1.5g, C=0g, P=10g per sandwich/burrito)
3) Finally, I put 2 eggs and 1 equivalent of egg whites on each sandwich with a serving of canadian bacon. You can use either a whole wheat tortilla or whole wheat english muffin/bagel (the calories and macros vary). Wrap in aluminum foil and store.
4) Microwave for like 1:30-2 minutes and you're good to go.

Overall it's a good morning meal with good macros to start off your day.

I do a weekly breakfast sandwich/burrito meal prep, because I hate waking up earlier than I need to (well actually 6 breakfast meals).

1) I cook 12 whole eggs along with a carton of egg whites (equivalent of 10 eggs). ~160 calories F= 10.6g, C=1.2g, P=16.6g per sandwich/burrito
2) Then I cook 2 packages of canadian bacon (F=1.5g, C=0g, P=10g per sandwich/burrito)
3) Finally, I put 2 eggs and 1 equivalent of egg whites on each sandwich with a serving of canadian bacon. You can use either a whole wheat tortilla or whole wheat english muffin/bagel (the calories and macros vary). Wrap in aluminum foil and store.
4) Microwave for like 1:30-2 minutes and you're good to go.

Overall it's a good morning meal with good macros to start off your day.
Do you freeze them? I tried a similar recipe but mine kept ending up soggy after being reheated. How do you avoid that?

On the subject of breakfast, I do egg muffins for the week. I use 10-12 eggs, 2c spinach, 1c green and/or red bell pepper (depending on what I have on hand), 1/2c cheese, 1c onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste (i just kind of sprinkle it in until it feels right, I'm not tasting raw eggs lol.

I spray a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray. I've used a mini muffin tin or a regular muffin tin, I prefer the regular. The mini tin will take about 4 batches to prepare, the regular usually takes two. I fill each cup about 1/2-2/3 of the way and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes (i don't time it I just watch them and take them out when they are a little browned on the top). I bag them (usually get about 4 per bag) and put them in the freezer. I'm a vegetarian but my mom makes hers with sausage and she doesn't like spinach so she uses mushrooms (which I hate) instead. Sometimes I will put broccoli florets in mine if i don't have spinach. I've also used frozen spinach in place of fresh, just have to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.

Then, you can just grab your baggie out of the freezer in the morning and pop it in the microwave.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This chickpea pasta sounds like something I would love, but i just looked it up and damn it's expensive... Is it good enough to be worth the money? I could buy more than twice as much regular pasta for the price, probably three times if there's a sale.
You can get Banza shells for ~$3/box (4 servings) on amazon if you buy in bulk, but I know it's still expensive. But if you can't eat regular pasta it's a goddamn lifesaver. If you can get some good whole wheat type pasta for a lot less...idk. It's hard to beat 13g protein in the chickpea pasta or 25g protein (!) in the edamame spaghetti.

Answering for your friend:

Vegan protein mac and cheese
For each 4 ounces of dry protein pasta (2 servings):
1. 3/4 cup milk of choice
2. 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
3. 1 tbsp Earth Balance or other butter product
4. 1 tbsp all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
5. 2 tsp Dijon mustard
6. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
7. 1/4 tsp onion powder
8. 1/2 tsp kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt butter in pan. Mix milk and flour with whisk, add to pan with all nutritional yeast. Add remaining ingredients and stir, over low heat, until sauce thickens. About 5 minutes. Add cooked pasta and stir.

Non-vegan mac and cheese (for cheat days?)
1. 1 tbsp butter
2. 2/3 cup milk
3. 1 heaping tbsp corn starch dissolved in maybe 1/4 cup hot water
4. 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, whatever)
5. salt and pepper
Melt butter in pan. Add milk and corn starch slurry and slowly bring to boil on medium heat. Add cheese and stir until melty. Add salt and pepper. Pour over cooked pasta. Top with a little shredded cheddar. Cry over creamy deliciousness.

Turkey bolognese, the easy way, when you need hella protein
For 8 ounces of dry protein pasta (4 servings)...especially edamame spaghetti with 25g protein/serving:
1. 1 pound ground turkey breast
2. olive oil
2. 1 onion
3. garlic
4. bottle of tomato sauce that doesn't have a ton of sugar or salt
Heat olive oil in pan. Put sliced onion into pan and cook until soft. Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add turkey breast and cook until you're no longer scared of salmonella. Add tomato sauce and bring to boil, simmer for a couple minutes. Put over pasta.
Throw in some broccoli florets or cauliflower in your mac and cheese and you'll feel less guilty with your cheat meals!

Reactions: 2 users
On the subject of breakfast, I do egg muffins for the week. I use 10-12 eggs, 2c spinach, 1c green and/or red bell pepper (depending on what I have on hand), 1/2c cheese, 1c onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste (i just kind of sprinkle it in until it feels right, I'm not tasting raw eggs lol.

I spray a muffin tin with non stick cooking spray. I've used a mini muffin tin or a regular muffin tin, I prefer the regular. The mini tin will take about 4 batches to prepare, the regular usually takes two. I fill each cup about 1/2-2/3 of the way and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes (i don't time it I just watch them and take them out when they are a little browned on the top). I bag them (usually get about 4 per bag) and put them in the freezer. I'm a vegetarian but my mom makes hers with sausage and she doesn't like spinach so she uses mushrooms (which I hate) instead. Sometimes I will put broccoli florets in mine if i don't have spinach. I've also used frozen spinach in place of fresh, just have to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.

Then, you can just grab your baggie out of the freezer in the morning and pop it in the microwave.

OMG TRYING THIS STUFF

Answering for your friend:

Vegan protein mac and cheese
1. 3/4 cup milk of choice
2. 6 tbsp nutritional yeast
3. 1 tbsp Earth Balance or other butter product
4. 1 tbsp all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
5. 2 tsp Dijon mustard
6. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
7. 1/4 tsp onion powder
8. 1/2 tsp kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Melt butter in pan. Mix milk and flour with whisk, add to pan with all nutritional yeast. Add remaining ingredients and stir, over low heat, until sauce thickens. About 5 minutes. Add cooked pasta and stir.

Non-vegan mac and cheese (for cheat days?)
1. 1 tbsp butter
2. 2/3 cup milk
3. 1 heaping tbsp corn starch dissolved in maybe 1/4 cup hot water
4. 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, whatever)
5. salt and pepper
Melt butter in pan. Add milk and corn starch slurry and slowly bring to boil on medium heat. Add cheese and stir until melty. Add salt and pepper. Pour over cooked pasta. Top with a little shredded cheddar. Cry over creamy deliciousness.

Turkey bolognese, the easy way, when you need hella protein
For 8 ounces of dry protein pasta (4 servings)...especially edamame spaghetti with 25g protein/serving:
1. 1 pound ground turkey breast
2. olive oil
2. 1 onion
3. garlic
4. bottle of tomato sauce that doesn't have a ton of sugar or salt
Heat olive oil in pan. Put sliced onion into pan and cook until soft. Add minced garlic, cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add turkey breast and cook until you're no longer scared of salmonella. Add tomato sauce and bring to boil, simmer for a couple minutes. Put over pasta.
+1 for nooch Mac and cheese!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Crepe with some nutella and strawberries and bananas?

Embarrassingly, crepes are a go to for any time of day when all I have is some milk, eggs, and flour. I have been known to eat a nutella crepe for dinner before, lol. Desperate times calls for dessert I guess? :laugh:

Savory crepes are also great - grab some swiss and some ham or turkey and you're golden. Add some veggies if you have them. Crepes are a perfect vessel for yumminess.

Embarrassingly, crepes are a go to for any time of day when all I have is some milk, eggs, and flour. I have been known to eat a nutella crepe for dinner before, lol. Desperate times calls for dessert I guess? :laugh:

Savory crepes are also great - grab some swiss and some ham or turkey and you're golden. Add some veggies if you have them. Crepes are a perfect vessel for yumminess.
What's your crepe prep?

What's your crepe prep?

For 4ish smaller crepes (I usually just make enough for one meal) I mix an egg with 1/4 cup of water and a 1/4 of milk, along with a tablespoon of melted butter. Then I mix that with 1/2 cup of flour and a pinch of salt (if you double the recipe, use a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt).

This is like the bare minimum haha. You can definitely find better recipes - this is just what I go to when I have nothing else in the apartment. I bake a lot so I usually have all the above ingredients.

Guys all this crepe talk inspired me to make crepes tonight :laugh:

Reactions: 4 users
Do you freeze them? I tried a similar recipe but mine kept ending up soggy after being reheated. How do you avoid that?
I put most in the refrigerator and the last 1-2 in the freezer. I found that the 5 day window is good for the refrigerator, but on the 6th/7th day they become questionable.

You all eat some elaborate meals. My meal prep just consists of 5 lbs of baked chicken breast coated in salt and pepper along with a pot of steamed whole grain rice and frozen peas. Props to those with all these sweet recipes

You all eat some elaborate meals. My meal prep just consists of 5 lbs of baked chicken breast coated in salt and pepper along with a pot of steamed whole grain rice and frozen peas. Props to those with all these sweet recipes
Chicken with *just* salt and pepper?
You don't add some garlic powder/ paprika/cayenne/cumin/chili powder? Nothing?
Try salt/peppper/white vinegar/fresh garlic and marinate for at least an hour ( cut into small one inch pieces). Then bake. You won't regret it.

I was gonna say that if you guys are sick of chicken for lean protein, BJ's has frozen white fish in the freezer aisle. It's way cheaper than fresh, and you can do a quick marinade of garlic/ginger/soy sauce / ( sesame seeds/oil if you have it but you probably don't, but toasted sesame seeds are delicious. If you want a hot/spicey combo add a little brown sugar and red chilli flakes). Marinate for about 10-30 minutes at room temp. per four ounce filet and then bake in toaster oven at 350 for about 7 minutes.
They have ahi tuna as well but it's more pricey.
It's white, flaky, and has this nice umami taste b/c of the soy sauce.
I like to eat with mashed potatoes ( almost no butter and no cream so it's low fat). You could also do steamed veggies but that's just almost no calories and fat so I'd also eat the mashed potatoes with it to make it filling/satisfying.

Typically. I then use bbq or honey mustard for dipping sauce. Sometimes also add some Old Bay seasoning if I've got any around.

That's how I started too. Then, I decided I didn't want to eat plain boring meals anymore. Not gonna lie though, I think I'd save sooo much money if I only ate chicken, rice, and frozen veggies.

You don't add some garlic powder/ paprika/cayenne/cumin/chili powder? Nothing?
Try salt/peppper/white vinegar/fresh garlic and marinate for at least an hour ( cut into small one inch pieces). Then bake. You won't regret it.

I was gonna say that if you guys are sick of chicken for lean protein, BJ's has frozen white fish in the freezer aisle. It's way cheaper than fresh, and you can do a quick marinade of garlic/ginger/soy sauce / ( sesame seeds/oil if you have it but you probably don't, but toasted sesame seeds are delicious. If you want a hot/spicey combo add a little brown sugar and red chilli flakes). Marinate for about 10-30 minutes at room temp. per four ounce filet and then bake in toaster oven at 350 for about 7 minutes.
They have ahi tuna as well but it's more pricey.
It's white, flaky, and has this nice umami taste b/c of the soy sauce.
I like to eat with mashed potatoes ( almost no butter and no cream so it's low fat). You could also do steamed veggies but that's just almost no calories and fat so I'd also eat the mashed potatoes with it to make it filling/satisfying.

Or you can make your cooking time even quicker and broil for like 2-3 minutes!

Bumping in hopes to see more recipes!

Would prefer not to end up in the following situation!

20140827.png

Thai peanut sauce:
1/4 teaspoon each of fresh grated garlic/ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon melted coconut oil, or a table spoon coconut or regular milk
( If you have rice vinegar lying around, I'd a teaspoon of that, but it's less likely you would have it. )

Toss with egg noodles, vegetables, chicken what have you.

Update on the crepe recipe:
For sweet crepes, adding a splash of vanilla extract really adds to the flavor of whatever type of crepes you're eating!

For sweet crepes, adding a splash of vanilla extract really adds to the flavor of whatever type of crepes you're eating!
Preferred sweet filling? Nutella, chocolate sauce, peanut butter, honey, plain brown sugar thing, other fruit berry sauces? With fruit and all that jazz of course.

Preferred sweet filling? Nutella, chocolate sauce, peanut butter, honey, plain brown sugar thing, other fruit berry sauces? With fruit and all that jazz of course.

I grew up with a German mother, so Nutella is my go to, lol. I especially love it with strawberries. A butter and sugar crepe is always a good classic though!

Quick snack idea that I love:

Get some raw soybeans (mature) and roast them. Lots of protein and taste pretty good too if you let them cool off. Got a nice crunch to them.

I tend to make a salad of sorts out of them with tomato and onion + salt, lime juice and whatever other spices. Garlic is great too.

For 4ish smaller crepes (I usually just make enough for one meal) I mix an egg with 1/4 cup of water and a 1/4 of milk, along with a tablespoon of melted butter. Then I mix that with 1/2 cup of flour and a pinch of salt (if you double the recipe, use a 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt).

This is like the bare minimum haha. You can definitely find better recipes - this is just what I go to when I have nothing else in the apartment. I bake a lot so I usually have all the above ingredients.
Hey how hot do you get the pan? I can imagine that you want it like griddle hot. Is that wrong?

Hey how hot do you get the pan? I can imagine that you want it like griddle hot. Is that wrong?
When I do crepes, medium heat works. Just make sure you swirl your pan pretty quickly to get a nice thin and even crepe and keep an eye on it to make sure you flip it when it is just gets golden brown.

I grew up with a German mother, so Nutella is my go to, lol. I especially love it with strawberries. A butter and sugar crepe is always a good classic though!
I just realized bananas foster crepes would be AMAZING. Though it might also be really messy to roll up when the filling is all hot and just right off the pan.

When I do crepes, medium heat works. Just make sure you swirl your pan pretty quickly to get a nice thin and even crepe and keep an eye on it to make sure you flip it when it is just gets golden brown.

I agree! I usually use medium heat.

Smashed Potatoes:

Wash and quarter potatoes (You know how many you will want).

Boil till just soft on outside with a bit of resistance on the inside.

Drain and place on pan that can be put in the oven.

Smash flat with fork or cup or anything that can get it about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.

Put on some pesto, peper, red peper flakes, garlic, onion, mushrooms... heck what ever you think a good combo would be...

Pour some olive oil on it (just a wee little bit if you are using pesto) and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes (or 375 for 10 and broil for 2), or until brown. (just bake until you think it is done.)

Put some cheese on it... and melt.

Done.

This is a great meal that is worth the mess it takes... trust me. My favorite way to have them is with pesto, Red pepper flakes and garlic. Put that on the side with a large salad... Boom. Your taste buds will love me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Add grated onion to your grilled cheese. By grated , I mean literally grate it into mush with a cheese/spice/garlic grater. When you put it in the sandwich along with cheese and whatever seasonings you like, the onions caramelize ever-so-slightly, but they still have a bit of a bite. They don't get too sweet.
I use sharp cheddar, the grated onion, a little mozzarella ( it mellows it out a bit), nutmeg, pepper, and a pinch of salt. I normally use typical sandwich bread.
Cook the sandwich so that the cheese melts totally ( the onion should be sandwiched between the cheese, the steam will partially caramelize it).
It's really good. Total upgrade.

Add grated onion to your grilled cheese. By grated , I mean literally grate it into mush with a cheese/spice/garlic grater. When you put it in the sandwich along with cheese and whatever seasonings you like, the onions caramelize ever-so-slightly, but they still have a bit of a bite. They don't get too sweet.
I use sharp cheddar, the grated onion, a little mozzarella ( it mellows it out a bit), nutmeg, pepper, and a pinch of salt. I normally use typical sandwich bread.
Cook the sandwich so that the cheese melts totally ( the onion should be sandwiched between the cheese, the steam will partially caramelize it).
It's really good. Total upgrade.
Nutmeg in a grilled cheese sandwich? Hmmmm might be interesting.

To add to the grilled cheese talk, instead of using butter, try spreading mayonnaise on the bread instead! It might be weird for some, but imho it tastes much better, it browns to a nicer color, and the crunch is better!

To add to the grilled cheese talk, instead of using butter, try spreading mayonnaise on the bread instead! It might be weird for some, but imho it tastes much better, it browns to a nicer color, and the crunch is better!
A little dash of nutmeg in most anything cheesey makes an amazing difference. Try putting in a sprinkle of it when you make mac and cheese too.

My mind goes back to my childhood days of just mayo sandwiches.... I am unashamed to say I miss them... but not that much... :) . Yeah try ginger and a touch of nutmeg in a light, brothy soup... its a great way to add a new taste to your food! IMO at least...

A little dash of nutmeg in most anything cheesey makes an amazing difference. Try putting in a sprinkle of it when you make mac and cheese too.

Nutmeg in mac and cheese is great! I also highly recommend adding dry mustard to mac and cheese.

Oh something else for all you light eaters in the morning:

Chop up some onions, place in pan with some oil. Wash asparagus and place 3-4 spears in there too. Once cooked, crack two eggs in there.
Turn your oven on to 350 and then place your pan in there with a lid. (No non-stick please!)
Cook till the asparagus is cooked (soft). Put some salt and pepper on that too. (toss in some left over meat, chicken, beef, what ever you want... and cover.)
If you do this just right you let this cook for a few minutes you don't even have to take it out of the pan... just eat it right out of there... Wait, did I just confess to doing that?

If you have IBS like me this is a great way to put some easy calories in your belly in the morning. If you want, just chop up and scrape all the leftovers into some scrambled eggs to make a quiche... Just saying that is an option out there!

Oh something else for all you light eaters in the morning:

Chop up some onions, place in pan with some oil. Wash asparagus and place 3-4 spears in there too. Once cooked, crack two eggs in there.
Turn your oven on to 350 and then place your pan in there with a lid. (No non-stick please!)
Cook till the asparagus is cooked (soft). Put some salt and pepper on that too. (toss in some left over meat, chicken, beef, what ever you want... and cover.)
If you do this just right you let this cook for a few minutes you don't even have to take it out of the pan... just eat it right out of there... Wait, did I just confess to doing that?

If you have IBS like me this is a great way to put some easy calories in your belly in the morning. If you want, just chop up and scrape all the leftovers into some scrambled eggs to make a quiche... Just saying that is an option out there!
I've done a similar thing but usually just turn it into an omelette.

I've done a similar thing but usually just turn it into an omelette.
To each their own! Gosh I am getting hungry now.

I got a homemade pizza dough recipie that will blow all of your knickers off

Does it have to be healthy to contribute to the thread? I have some recipes I'd love to share (especially baking!) but they absolutely are not health food.....

Does it have to be healthy to contribute to the thread? I have some recipes I'd love to share (especially baking!) but they absolutely are not health food.....

Nope. RogueBanana mentioned that we are all human, afterall.
Also, you guys can make a large batch of cookie dough , in advance, and freeze it. Make the dough, use a dough scooper ( or an ice-cream scoop) , to scoop it up. Freeze them, and then store in little freezer baggies. When you want a cookie just pop in the toaster oven ( maybe a minute or two longer than the recipe says to), and you're all set.

Contribute away even if it's not super healthy! And then maybe we can find a way to make it healthier later on haha

Okay I know this isnt healthy or cheap but maybe you guys are at home for summer and are baking nerds like me
You have to try these These Chocolate-Covered Mini Cakes Are Beyond Delicious
It's the perfect balance between sweet, not too sweet, herbs, and orange zing. Might wanna make a double batch they'll be gone that fast. You can use milk or dark chocolate I used semi sweet chocolate chips. Adding coconut oil to the chocolate makes a harder shell that would be less melty when you hold the cakes in your hands.
You can also use a regular muffin tin, just fill the bottom of the tin for discus-shaped cakes. Or a mini loaf pan, and slice and pour chocolate ganache on top and eat with a fork. The whole recipe makes two rounds of a 24-well mini cupcake pan, with the wells filled halfway. ( So , 48 baby cakes)
I know this isn't totally relevant but I couldn't resist sharing.

Last edited: