cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Tomorrow is officially my last day of patient care as a medical student! :hardy: But now that my schedule is winding down, the wait is beginning to get to me. Not even an email in the lonely ol' inbox...no more wooing, no more flattering....just silence. I don't know what to do with myself and it's making me nervous. I think I'm gonna go have me a drink.

An amusing aside: given the sudden cessation of all communication with programs, I practically whooped with happiness to receive a letter from a program I hadn't heard from yet (never mind it was one I didn't even rank...) Appropriately enough, it read, "Your application is now complete. We received # applications. We are pleased to inform you that we will be ranking you." :laugh:
 

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
680
0
Status
You know what bugs me? Say I match into one of my top choices. Say it's a program that did not rank me highly at all but, by the luck of the match, they went that far down their ROL. Sure I'll be happy to end up there but, at the same time, I'll bear a little resentment that they didn't show me the love they showed other candidates. Just something that's bugging me a little.
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
stormjen said:
You know what bugs me? Say I match into one of my top choices. Say it's a program that did not rank me highly at all but, by the luck of the match, they went that far down their ROL. Sure I'll be happy to end up there but, at the same time, I'll bear a little resentment that they didn't show me the love they showed other candidates. Just something that's bugging me a little.
Yeah, that's crossed my mind, too. The ol' ego lurking in the depths likes the idea of matching at a place that celebrates when they find out they got me - victorious hand slaps all around because they scored their dream candidate. I don't want to feel like my program "settled" for me. But as a resident at my home program warned me when I aired these concerns, it doesn't really matter how you get in...it's what you do once you're there. As yaah the wise says, you have to make the most of your opportunities.
 

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
6,539
595
Status
Attending Physician
cytoborg said:
Yeah, that's crossed my mind, too. The ol' ego lurking in the depths likes the idea of matching at a place that celebrates when they find out they got me - victorious hand slaps all around because they scored their dream candidate. I don't want to feel like my program "settled" for me. But as a resident at my home program warned me when I aired these concerns, it doesn't really matter how you get in...it's what you do once you're there. As yaah the wise says, you have to make the most of your opportunities.
There are no "dream candidate" residents/interns. You will show up, know near nothing, and be lucky to recognize normal thymus. You will ask annoying questions like whats the difference between L26 and CD20, try to disappear at 5pm sharp and mutilate your autopsies beyond recognition in vain attempt to find the adrenal glands. Youll spend countless hours going back to bowel resections looking for lymph nodes, be lucky to not crash the surg path LIS and if you are really unlucky actually cry in front of the faculty.

In all honesty, it doesnt really matter if you were AOA at UofChicago or dead last in your class at Ross, you gonna basically be just told what to do and youll do it. Maybe someone might ask what you think about some case, but honestly we dont care....at least not until you are a fellow.

In conclusion, welcome to Pathology. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 

Dr. Shrinker

Nah uh: Infinity+1 posts
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2002
13
0
Visit site
Status
stormjen said:
You know what bugs me? Say I match into one of my top choices. Say it's a program that did not rank me highly at all but, by the luck of the match, they went that far down their ROL. Sure I'll be happy to end up there but, at the same time, I'll bear a little resentment that they didn't show me the love they showed other candidates. Just something that's bugging me a little.
If you must bear resentment, bear it, but don't bare it. Fact is, you'll probably never know how you were ranked, so best just to forget about it. When I matched, ironically at a very respectable place which was nonetheless six easy pieces further down my rank list than I ever thought I'd go, like Deep Space Homer I chanted those two sweetest words in the English language.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,960
347
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
LADoc00 said:
There are no "dream candidate" residents/interns. You will show up, know near nothing, and be lucky to recognize normal thymus. You will ask annoying questions like whats the difference between L26 and CD20, try to disappear at 5pm sharp and mutilate your autopsies beyond recognition in vain attempt to find the adrenal glands. Youll spend countless hours going back to bowel resections looking for lymph nodes, be lucky to not crash the surg path LIS and if you are really unlucky actually cry in front of the faculty.

In all honesty, it doesnt really matter if you were AOA at UofChicago or dead last in your class at Ross, you gonna basically be just told what to do and youll do it. Maybe someone might ask what you think about some case, but honestly we dont care....at least not until you are a fellow.

In conclusion, welcome to Pathology. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbup: :thumbup: It still rocks though! I put in a 14 hour day and the only dull moment was when I spent from 9 to 9:30 waiting for the attending to get his coffee and show up at signout. I saw a new neuroblastoma, fibrous dysplasia, liposarcoma, lung cancers, and a really cool avascular necrosis among others.
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yaah said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: It still rocks though! I put in a 14 hour day and the only dull moment was when I spent from 9 to 9:30 waiting for the attending to get his coffee and show up at signout. I saw a new neuroblastoma, fibrous dysplasia, liposarcoma, lung cancers, and a really cool avascular necrosis among others.
Way to keep us upbeat, yaah! :)
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
AndyMilonakis said:
hey wheels, just wait patiently ok? if you match at ucsf, who the hell cares where they ranked you. you still win.
My thoughts exactly. :thumbup:
Now...about that waiting patiently part...I think it's going to require a lot of beer.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
yaah said:
I asked Andy about match day today (2 weeks away) and he claimed to be blissfully unstressed about the whole thing. Excelsior!
well you remarked to me, "two more weeks."
and i said, "until what?"

true, i'm not stressed about the match at this point in time. i've been busy with many other things now.

the tracks on that CD are part of my media library now. my laptop has been playing both concertos on endless loop for the past 10 hours! :eek: and it shall continue for 3 more hours!
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
yaah said:
I put in a 14 hour day and the only dull moment was when I spent from 9 to 9:30 waiting for the attending to get his coffee and show up at signout.
In contrast I put in a 7-hour day, 4 of which were spent alternatively sitting or standing in a corner of a clinic room while the plastic surgeon talked to fussy middle-aged women dripping with gold about their tummy tucks and face lifts.

I wanted to slap both parties, but didn't have the energy - the only thing that kept me awake was making out my To Do list for the week in my head while counting down the hours to Saturday.

And if any of you meet me at USCAP 20 years down the road and I mention cosmetic surgery for myself, please give me a swift kick in the behind.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,960
347
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
In contrast I put in a 7-hour day, 4 of which were spent alternatively sitting or standing in a corner of a clinic room while the plastic surgeon talked to fussy middle-aged women dripping with gold about their tummy tucks and face lifts.

I wanted to slap both parties, but didn't have the energy - the only thing that kept me awake was making out my To Do list for the week in my head while counting down the hours to Saturday.
Don't you hate that standing in the corner? I never understand when you shadow docs but they don't let you at least go and talk to the patients ahead of time and get some impressions.
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
deschutes said:
In contrast I put in a 7-hour day, 4 of which were spent alternatively sitting or standing in a corner of a clinic room while the plastic surgeon talked to fussy middle-aged women dripping with gold about their tummy tucks and face lifts.
*shudder* You paint a vivid picture. When's your last day of clinical medicine, deschutes?
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
yaah said:
Don't you hate that standing in the corner? I never understand when you shadow docs but they don't let you at least go and talk to the patients ahead of time and get some impressions.
I hated standing in the corner, but since I didn't know a thing about tummy tucks and breast reductions and scarring down, the only alternative that would have made me happy was to have let me leave after seeing the third potential tummy tuck of the afternoon.
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
cytoborg said:
*shudder* You paint a vivid picture. When's your last day of clinical medicine, deschutes?
April 24, GFDM!!! And then I write CK on April 29, the LMCC Part 1 in early May, and graduate May 12.

I so want to curl up in a corner and die.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,960
347
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
I hated standing in the corner, but since I didn't know a thing about tummy tucks and breast reductions and scarring down, the only alternative that would have made me happy was to have let me leave after seeing the third potential tummy tuck of the afternoon.
Actually, you are probably right. I think if I had to spend time at a plastic surgery clinic I would want nothing to do with seeing the patients ahead of time. Every single one of them would greet me with, "Dr X is coming, right?" Did I look that incompetent? Wait, maybe it was the short white coat and the billion things in my pockets.
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
yaah said:
I think if I had to spend time at a plastic surgery clinic
Cosmetic surgery, yaah. ;) As the plastic surgeon himself likes to say.

The day initially started out okay. Some trigger fingers, odd cysts in odd places, a potential CLL manifesting in the scalp.

And then the I'm-not-happy-saggy folk came in.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,960
347
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
deschutes said:
Cosmetic surgery, yaah. ;) As the plastic surgeon himself likes to say.

The day initially started out okay. Some trigger fingers, odd cysts in odd places, a potential CLL manifesting in the scalp.

And then the I'm-not-happy-saggy folk came in.
You mean they didn't have the 8am appointments? :laugh:

But yes, "Cosmetic and reconstructive surgery." The plastics people who dedicate their lives to burn victims are probably the best people in medicine. The ones who dedicate their lives to breast implants are not. Although I guess they provide a service to people so whatever.
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
yaah said:
You mean they didn't have the 8am appointments? :laugh:
Of course not! Their maids were probably bringing them breakfast in bed at the time.
 

Gut Shot

15+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2003
6,526
106
Status
Attending Physician
LADoc00 said:
There are no "dream candidate" residents/interns. You will show up, know near nothing, and be lucky to recognize normal thymus. You will ask annoying questions like whats the difference between L26 and CD20, try to disappear at 5pm sharp and mutilate your autopsies beyond recognition in vain attempt to find the adrenal glands. Youll spend countless hours going back to bowel resections looking for lymph nodes, be lucky to not crash the surg path LIS and if you are really unlucky actually cry in front of the faculty.

In all honesty, it doesnt really matter if you were AOA at UofChicago or dead last in your class at Ross, you gonna basically be just told what to do and youll do it. Maybe someone might ask what you think about some case, but honestly we dont care....at least not until you are a fellow.

In conclusion, welcome to Pathology. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wait wait, man. You're blowing my mind here. So let me get this straight. You start out knowing nothing, and then after years of practice someone will listen to your opinion. Is that why it's called a "training" program?
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Havarti666 said:
Wait wait, man. You're blowing my mind here. So let me get this straight. You start out knowing nothing, and then after years of practice someone will listen to your opinion. Is that why it's called a "training" program?
He probably just meant that a person can't waltz into residency thinking they're the sh!t because they will be soon reduced to blathering idiocy like all beginners. I'm sure he's right that once the melodrama of the match is over, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
He probably just meant that a person can't waltz into residency thinking they're the sh!t because they will be soon reduced to blathering idiocy like all beginners. I'm sure he's right that once the melodrama of the match is over, it's a whole 'nother ballgame.
I agree with you wheels. BTW, I think Havarti was being sarcastic :)
 

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
deschutes said:
I hated standing in the corner, but since I didn't know a thing about tummy tucks and breast reductions and scarring down, the only alternative that would have made me happy was to have let me leave after seeing the third potential tummy tuck of the afternoon.
I just finished a plastics rotation last month......it was so hard for me to act interested!

Abdominoplasties :thumbdown: :thumbdown: 6-8 hrs of retracting is a mofo!
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Harbster said:
I just finished a plastics rotation last month......it was so hard for me to act interested!

Abdominoplasties :thumbdown: :thumbdown: 6-8 hrs of retracting is a mofo!
Today I progressed from tummy tuck consults to actual tummy tuck ops. My level of interest never got off the ground. T=5 minutes, all you see is yellow fat. T=55 minutes, all you see is still yellow fat.

6-8 hours of retracting? Yikes! Mine lasted 2+ hours each - which was quite enough, thank you. I didn't retract nothing.

With n = 2 it is clear that Canehdiens are thinner.

I got to close, and since he remarked it was great that I didn't blunt the needle and that some plastics residents were not such good stitchers, I evidently have 1337 stitching skillz.
 

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
680
0
Status
I try to not judge the people who feel the need to have cosmetic surgery. Sure, I may not want a ________ (insert procedure) now, but who knows how I will feel ten, twenty years down the line? And the young women coming in for breast procedures have their own reasons for wanting them. If breast implants are what it takes to increase their self-esteem, then so be it. They know themselves better than I know them. Maybe they lost weight and suddenly their breasts are sagging down to their navels? Who knows.

I dunno, I guess I feel the need to defend because of all the times I've said one thing, then a few years later said the exact opposite. Suddenly I'm supporting a concept or idea that I rejected or made fun of earlier in my life. Good natured ribbing is one thing, but judging people--especially people we don't even know, should be avoided. At least IMO.

This isn't directed at anyone in particularly, it's just a topic I wanted to weigh in on. There are some ladies I know who have had things done, and it's been tempting to push my own values onto them. But I can't, because they are my values, not theirs.

Anyway, just running my mouth now.
 

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
deschutes said:
Today I progressed from tummy tuck consults to actual tummy tuck ops. My level of interest never got off the ground. T=5 minutes, all you see is yellow fat. T=55 minutes, all you see is still yellow fat.

6-8 hours of retracting? Yikes! Mine lasted 2+ hours each - which was quite enough, thank you. I didn't retract nothing.

With n = 2 it is clear that Canehdiens are thinner.

I got to close, and since he remarked it was great that I didn't blunt the needle and that some plastics residents were not such good stitchers, I evidently have 1337 stitching skillz.
I will not argue that Canadians are thinner than Americans!

Did ya get a chance to do some liposuctioning? It's so mindless yet fun!
 

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
Any good recipe cookbooks online? Free, of course!
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
stormjen said:
I try to not judge the people who feel the need to have cosmetic surgery. I dunno, I guess I feel the need to defend because of all the times I've said one thing, then a few years later said the exact opposite. This isn't directed at anyone in particularly, it's just a topic I wanted to weigh in on. There are some ladies I know who have had things done, and it's been tempting to push my own values onto them. But I can't, because they are my values, not theirs.
I used to think that way, until somebody pointed out to me that it's not a sin to be intelligent.

But this morning in that OR (if I may quote Daria), the shallowness of the conversation was so thorough, it looked almost like depth.

I'm not even going to get into the North America liposuction vs. South Africa starving babies debate.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular either ;) it's just a topic I wanted to weigh in on.
 

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
Harbster said:
Did ya get a chance to do some liposuctioning? It's so mindless yet fun!
Yup I got to do some. I'm glad you enjoyed it. The science is fascinating! :D I was more interested in how it was done than when it was actually being done. I always thought you put in a tube and sucked. I didn't realize you had to put in saline before suctioning.

I considered perforating the rectus muscle just to up the ante a little, but decided against it. I settled for untangling the monocryl.
 

Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
deschutes said:
I always thought you put in a tube and sucked. I didn't realize you had to put in saline before suctioning.
See.......it's a science and an art after all!
 

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
833
2
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
While PRS can certainly be considered one of the most artistic medical specialties (I'm referring to the R in PRS), I don't think I'd list tummy tucks as an art form, saline or not... :)
 
OP
cytoborg

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yaah said:
6 hours of retracting would be enough for me to fake a vagal episode and get the hell out of there.
But, see, then you'd miss out on all the valuable learning.