the "still under review" school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyxJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, is there anything we can do when a school tells you that your application is still under review and it seems to be that people who have submitted their application way after already had their interview? I'm still waiting to hear back from UPenn... I have called them a number of times and each time they just tell me that it's still under review. I was trying to be patient but now I'm starting to get worried because my application has been complete for 2 months... and since the interviews are filling up rather quickly, I don't think I'll be able to interview before Dec. 1, which will significantly lower my chances of getting in. I hope they didn't lose my application... :confused: Anyone else waiting for a particular school to get back to them?

Members don't see this ad.

LadyxJC said:
Hey guys, is there anything we can do when a school tells you that your application is still under review and it seems to be that people who have submitted their application way after already had their interview? I'm still waiting to hear back from UPenn... I have called them a number of times and each time they just tell me that it's still under review. I was trying to be patient but now I'm starting to get worried because my application has been complete for 2 months... and since the interviews are filling up rather quickly, I don't think I'll be able to interview before Dec. 1, which will significantly lower my chances of getting in. I hope they didn't lose my application... :confused: Anyone else waiting for a particular school to get back to them?

I am in your exact situation. I think I called that one admissions lady so many times she's probably cringing when I tell her my last name. I can just imagine her thinking "ugh, not her again."
Good luck to you, I hope you hear back from them soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
LadyxJC said:

I am not knocking you, but why do you care! You have plenty of interviews. Is UPENN your first choice ???
HD

LadyxJC said:

You should call UPENN. It usually doesn't take UPENN 2 months to make a decision. UPENN is very very organized and usually sends an invitation letter about 1.5-2 weeks after everything is received.

Yup. in my opinion, upenn is about the most efficient school when it comes to keeping up with your application.

Your stats are sweet. Call and ask to speak with someone who makes some decisions.

dat_student said:
You should call UPENN. It usually doesn't take UPENN 2 months to make a decision. UPENN is very very organized and usually sends an invitation letter about 1.5-2 weeks after everything is received.

it's funny you say this, yet i'm in the same boat as LadyJC. i call the admissions lady up, and she tells me it is *still* under review. :confused:

lifescool said:
it's funny you say this, yet i'm in the same boat as LadyJC. i call the admissions lady up, and she tells me it is *still* under review. :confused:

I don't know why. UPENN is a great school and it's very efficient. My interviewer was very good and I had a wonderful time at UPENN. UPENN has only three negatives:
#1) Expensive
#2) Not in a great neighborhood
#3) They don't say that you get paid X amount of dollars every month if you do research. (two public schools pay their students good money to do research)

Other than those I have nothing bad to say about UPENN. It's also a great research university and in my opinion the best research school amongst the IVY schools. You guys should call UPENN again.

dat_student said:

That is exactly why I am worried... because I know that UPenn is one of the schools that don't take this long. If it was a different school that is known to take long to get back to the applicants, I wouldn't care as much. And I did call... I called multiple times. The lady just keeps telling me, "your file is complete and it's still under review"...

And to hockeydentist, UPenn is one of my top choices. It would make me very happy if I got invited for an interview~

LadyxJC said:
That is exactly why I am worried... because I know that UPenn is one of the schools that don't take this long. If it was a different school that is known to take long to get back to the applicants, I wouldn't care as much. And I did call... I called multiple times. The lady just keeps telling me, "your file is complete and it's still under review"...

And to hockeydentist, UPenn is one of my top choices. It would make me very happy if I got invited for an interview~

I have in same shoe.
The lady told me same thing" your file is complete and it's under review"

LadyxJC said:

I have in same shoe.
The lady told me same thing" your file is complete and it's under review"

stop calling! once they say it's complete leave it at that. calling is just goign to annoy them and lessen your chances of getting an interview. i recall a post along the lines of a title 'I walked into the UB admissions office today' and the post proceeded to mention that the dean of admissions at SUNY Buffalo said that calling a lot hurts your chances. maybe you are on the cusp and they are waiting. i know that it virtually 'sucks' that they aren't calling you, especially with your high stats, but just having high stats does not mean you get an interview somewhere. i think this admissions process has a great deal of randomness to it. some schools might see your app and your essay and totally understand and click--hence invite you for an interview--others may not. maybe the person who read your app was having a bad day. just be patient. if it's still under review then hopefully someone else will read it and a decision will be made soon.