The story of Eric Scheffey, MD; good read for doctors to be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

http://www.namss.org/ContentStore/dboard/Texas Monthly - Scheffey.pdf

this was printed in the sept 2005 issue of texas monthly. this story opened my eyes to the dark side of medicine or when a doctor goes bad. i'm sure we've read about quacks, but this really hit home, seeing as how i'm a future orthopod, live in houston, and see patients with a lot of these ailments.

warning: it's quite lengthy but still good.

Members don't see this ad.

yourmom25 said:

this was printed in the sept 2005 issue of texas monthly. this story opened my eyes to the dark side of medicine or when a doctor goes bad. i'm sure we've read about quacks, but this really hit home, seeing as how i'm a future orthopod, live in houston, and see patients with a lot of these ailments.

wow

Words cant describe how sick that is. I cant believe that was really allowed to go on for so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like horror stories from other not-so-developed countries.

what is even crazier, is that he seems so smug about his actions, as if the people under his errant bone saw were just practice and its ok for him to mess up here and there.

Oh, and they should look into the physician's who gave second opinions to this guy, what were they driving after they signed his papers?!?! let the conspiracy theories ensue.

really sad. I cannot believe the guy still has a thriving practice. I guess in medicine these days business skills are far more important than the surgical skill etc. Scary scary stuff.

yourmom25 said:

just horrible. and the bad part is that i'm sure there are others out there like him.

This story reminds me of that doctor from the book Complications who botched a long series of surgeries. I thought the book gave some useful insight into what makes good doctors/surgeons go down a spiraling path into the great beyond...although I doubt this guy was ever a 'good' surgeon.

and on a totally tangential note...there was a great movie with Jimmy Stewart who was on the lam for killing his wife during surgery, he was part of the circus and was a clown...permanently, it sounds stupid, but man movies back then.

For those interested, the movie is called " The greatest show on earth" Check it out.

Labslave said:
This story reminds me of that doctor from the book Complications who botched a long series of surgeries. I thought the book gave some useful insight into what makes good doctors/surgeons go down a spiraling path into the great beyond...although I doubt this guy was ever a 'good' surgeon.

was that the surgeon who loved his job so much that he wouldn't quit even when he has lost his skills from old age (haven't read that book in ahwile)?

What happened to pages 8 and 9?

They seem to be cut off....?

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy Crap. I feel like im reading fiction here. :scared:

yourmom25 said:

Something like that was actually discussed in complications. It is interesting that that guy was an ortho as well.

Yikes!!!!! Please tell me none of us will be horrible like that!

while similar to the story in complications, the hospital was able to curb his workaholism. with dr. scheffey, nothing stopped him and he could continue hurting his patients.

yourmom25 said:
while similar to the story in complications, the hospital was able to curb his workaholism. with dr. scheffey, nothing stopped him and he could continue hurting his patients.

I believe the guy in complications was once a "competent" surgeon. I think that surgeon got his act together and is operating again.

What a spectacular combination of greed, incompetence, hubris, and moral callousness....

Yourmom, I definitely read that article when that issue of Texas Monthly came out. I wound up searching more on the internet and found out more horrible info about Scheffey. Its really creepy

I definitely saw the cocaine thing coming... pretty sad. Im just shocked it went on for as long as it did. If a professional criminal starts selling tv's for coke, they do something stupid and get arrested. If a mechanic starts botching cars for coke, he gets fired or arrested. But a surgeon, who would suspect a surgeon? Thats the most scary part of the article for me.

yourmom25 said:

Scary shiz :eek: . If that happened to me I would beat his a$$. :mad:
(unless I was dead that is :( )

OMG! This man did surgery on me when I was a teenager. My parenrs would have never allowed this if they knew then what we know now.

OMG! This man did surgery on me when I was a teenager. My parenrs would have never allowed this if they knew then what we know now.

I'm glad you're okay and are now considering a career in medicine. You can be the doctor this guy never could.

In case anyone is having problems with the links being expired/ancient, this seems to be the new link to the same article:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/content/dr-evil