The stress of being a CRNA.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poshdoctor

Spicegirls of Healthcare
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a freshman at UC Merced. I am trying to find the right career. Are they're any CRNA's on here? What is the stress levels that CRNA's deal with, and also what is the work schedule of a CRNA?

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you view www.nurse-anesthesia.org for answers.

CRNAs can work any number of schedules, depending on where they work. From 5 days a week with 8 hour shifts, 4/10 hour shifts, or 3/12 hour shift. Call varies from no call to call all week/off the next in smaller hospitals.

The stress is high. You are managing patients medical comorbidities and maintaining homeostasis while a physician takes a knife to them. You must be aware what is happening with the surgery as well as the anesthetic. You are also performing potential dangerous procedures such as central line placement, intubation, injection of local anesthetics into tissues that can cause immediate cardiac collapse, nerve damage, and unintentional apnea if given incorrectly.

I suggest you view www.nurse-anesthesia.org for answers.

CRNAs can work any number of schedules, depending on where they work. From 5 days a week with 8 hour shifts, 4/10 hour shifts, or 3/12 hour shift. Call varies from no call to call all week/off the next in smaller hospitals.

The stress is high. You are managing patients medical comorbidities and maintaining homeostasis while a physician takes a knife to them. You must be aware what is happening with the surgery as well as the anesthetic. You are also performing potential dangerous procedures such as central line placement, intubation, injection of local anesthetics into tissues that can cause immediate cardiac collapse, nerve damage, and unintentional apnea if given incorrectly.

Thank you, It sounds interesting!