The things I always question myself with.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arahnisarahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love how right before finals, I always seem to pre-calculate my scores and gpa, just to have to redo the entire thing by the end of finals.:laugh:
Especially with our school implementing this "new" multiple response regime in our exams! Now don't get me wrong, I always want to be prepared to whatever the boards throw at us, but having a professor randomly throw in a multiple response exam, without a limit of possible answers, is ruining my psychic ability to predict my overall grade in the class. :rolleyes:
ahhh the idiosyncrasy

Members don't see this ad.

I love how right before finals, I always seem to pre-calculate my scores and gpa, just to have to redo the entire thing by the end of finals.:laugh:
Especially with our school implementing this "new" multiple response regime in our exams! Now don't get me wrong, I always want to be prepared to whatever the boards throw at us, but having a professor randomly throw in a multiple response exam, without a limit of possible answers, is ruining my psychic ability to predict my overall grade in the class. :rolleyes:
ahhh the idiosyncrasy

Academics is a game most of the time. You have professors testing you on basic science and clinical information, much of which you will rarely, if ever use, but on a multiple choice test, it's an item that might be 1 or 2 percent of your grade in a class. Just play the game and move on. It's no fun, but that's the way it is. Multiple choice testing is, in my opinion, a near total waste of time when it comes to evaluating a person's working knowledge of a subject. It only tests one's ability to take multiple choice tests and little else.

I finished optometry school with a shade over a 3.9 GPA and board scores that could turn you sheet white. If you know my posting history, you'd know impressive grades don't mean much after you finish school. Even if you want to do a residency, grades are only a small part of the story. Now, if you graduate with a 2.1 and you want to do a VA residency in a desirable program, that's a different story.

It's difficult to see it when you're in school, but your GPA is the last thing anyone cares about once you're out. Board scores too - nobody cares as long as you pass. Worry about becoming proficient clinically and trying to line up a decent job somewhere. That's what matters.

Last edited:
im curious. as Arahnisarahn stated, our school thinks they know how to give exams with multiple answers (not by following proven methods, but by creating their own method) in hopes that it will prepare us better for the NBEO.

Are there any other schools out there that are doing this?

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO does this as well.. in regards to calculating grades.. I did that my entire first year ... now I could care less.. lol.. it is what it is..

Study hard.. prepare.. and your grade should show for it.

PUCO does it too, but not in every course.