THE Top Anesthesia Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bawer234

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I suppose this may be a little too broad but I'd like some insight into SDN's opinion of the "top" residency programs in anesthesia. I'm not really interested in the top NIH funding stats, I'm more looking for some good info about which programs have the best reputation for teaching solid clinical medicine.
I've have ZERO research expereince and I'd be fine keeping it that way but I'm not going to cross a school off my list just b/c their heavy in research.
So the Question is which programs are "great"? If you need me to narrow it down a little further, how about programs West of the mississippi? East of the mississippi? I'd like to stay around home (arizona) but I'm open to just about anything.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Here are a few of the undisputed big boys.
West
UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, Seattle.
East
MGH, Brigham, Penn, Hopkins, Columbia.
I don't know much about the South, and I probably would have trouble IDing the states in middle America so I won't comment on any programs there.

One more very important thing for you. These big research powerhouse hospitals may have some great science going on, but most importantly for you as a resident, they are referral centers for an endless supply of monster cases and cutting edge techniques. They will give you unmatched clinical training, training you will use every day. Hopefully they'll teach you a few slick tricks as well. I had little anesthesia research interests and fit in very well at one of the big name research hospitals listed above.
Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a few of the undisputed big boys.
West
East
I don't know much about the South, and I probably would have trouble IDing the states in middle America so I won't comment on any programs there.

One more very important thing for you. These big research powerhouse hospitals may have some great science going on, but most importantly for you as a resident, they are referral centers for an endless supply of monster cases and cutting edge techniques. They will give you unmatched clinical training, training you will use every day. Hopefully they'll teach you a few slick tricks as well. I had little anesthesia research interests and fit in very well at one of the big name research hospitals listed above.
Good luck.

I would probably add Duke and WashU to the "elite" list. Maybe UMich? As for the schools slightly below, I'd include Vandy, UVA, Emory, UF, and probably UNC, though I'm partial as it was my home school.

THE top program is the one you will be happy at. Don't pick a program based on what everyone tells you is a prestigous place. You can get good training at 95% of programs.

THE top program is the one you will be happy at. Don't pick a program based on what everyone tells you is a prestigous place. You can get good training at 95% of programs.

True that. Can't go wrong with Mayo, either, though...

Any feedback from those in TX:

UTMB > Baylor, UTSW > UTH > UTSA, A&M?

Any feedback from those in TX:

UTMB > Baylor, UTSW > UTH > UTSA, A&M?

FWIW i went to med school in San Antonio, and think that program is pretty damn good. They are the only major academic medical facility for a significant part of Texas, do all the big traumas/transplants and see all the crazy pathology that comes up across the border from Mexico and Central America. And the chair is a great guy. I'f I'd wanted to stay in TX, I'd have been happy to match there.

West
East

I'd agree with that assessment. Disclaimer: I'm in one of the programs listed above, and my access to difficult cases, outstanding teaching, all sorts of neat toys, and opportunities for research is unbelievable.

Most people choose their residency based on location, but if you're giving yourself a wide geographic range, then I would go with variety and numbers of cases. The bigger programs have top notch trauma/peds/cardiac/transplant programs, and although you have to work during your residency, I've always thought that's what residency is for.

No no. The best programs are Cornell, Duke, Pittsburgh, Vandy, Emory, UTSW, Iowa, and BID.

No no. The best programs are Virginia Mason, CCF, Baylor, Sinai, Wash U, Dartmouth, Mayo, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Before Med school I fought MMA. The pic of me in the thong was taken when i competed in bodybuilding.

Thanks for the quick assessments. How strong are UC Irvine, UCSD, and AZ Mayo?

Strong choices: UCI has Disneyland nearby, San Diego has hot chicks with outstanding weather, and AZ Mayo has great golf all around it. Can't go wrong with any of them. Plus all 3 will give you a certificate at the end of 3 years allowing you to practice anesthesiology and sit for the boards. :)

Before Med school I fought MMA. The pic of me in the thong was taken when i competed in bodybuilding.

Thanks for the quick assessments. How strong are UC Irvine, UCSD, and AZ Mayo?

ORTHO-PED-ICK SURG-ER-EE

put that pic in your ERAS personal statement - you will have your choice of programs.

cage.jpg

How strong are UC Irvine, UCSD, and AZ Mayo?

I ranked UCSD above all of the "top programs" mentioned above except MGH. If I were to do it again I would rank it #1.

I don't think we're big enough to make anyone's "Academic Top 5 Powerhouses" list, but I think we're generally considered among the stronger programs nationally and we have many famous names including Benumof, Drummond, and Kaplan (and we're small enough that you can be on a first name basis and play golf with them on weekends). As for the clinical training itself, I think there is little room for improvement in most areas. Old-fashioned resident autonomy is very important here.

This, and the location, has made this program quite competitive (<100 interviews granted and we tend to go only about 1/3 down the rank list in the match).

I don't want to threadjack, so feel free to PM me for specifics.

Dr. Bilal F. Shanti is an anesthesiologist and an interventional pain physician practicing in and serving Scottsdale and the Greater Metro Phoenix area in Arizona. He graduated from the anesthesiology program at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Texas. He completed an interventional pain management and a palliative care fellowship from the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center also in Houston. Dr. Bilal Shanti spent about 5 years at Harvard Medical School Affiliated Hospitals where he conducted post-doctoral research fellowship. He was the director of pain medicine at the department of anesthesiology at Baylor College of Medicine and was the Michael E. DeBakey VA Medical Center for several years. Dr. Bilal Shanti has published many articles, abstracts, and presented several scientific posters in the field of anesthesiology and pain medicine. Dr. Shanti, a multi-lingual, lectured about pain medicine in several countries including Jordan, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, and others, in addition to the U.S.A.

Services
The majority of procedures are done under under fluoroscopic guidance and IV sedation.

Head and Neck Pain, Back Pain, Thoracic Pain, Abdominal Pain, Sympathetically-Mediated Pain, Radiofrequency techniques, Neural blockade and neurolytic blocks, Spinal opioids tunneled epidural catheters, Peripheral nerve infusion pump, Vertebroplasties, acupuncture, electroacupuncture, Electromyographic

Physical TherapyPhysical therapy, also known as physiotherapy, provides treatment to individuals to establish, maintain and restore function and mobility.

Physical therapy does improve the quality of life by decreasing pain, spasm, and breaking scars and adhesion. It addresses the physical, psychological, emotional, and social well being. A licensed therapist usually undergoes very assertive and aggressive schooling and meets several criteria to obtain a license to practice in a particular state.

:yawn:

Bilal,
If you're so smart, how about some clinical posts?
Nice press release BTW, but my CV is bigger.:laugh:

why is he advertising on here? Probably would be better off doing that in the primary care forum:laugh:

In the South - UAB and Wake Forest