The Typical 'W' Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keitlia

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are so many threads like this out there, but I haven't been able to find some usable advice for my current circumstances... so I need some SDN help!

I'm currently a second-semester sophomore pursuing a B.S. in Biochemistry degree, and here is my schedule:

Introductory Biology Course 4 credits
Associated Biology Lab 1 credit
Organic Chemistry II 3 credits
Organic Lab II for Majors 2 credits
Undergraduate Research 1 credit
General Physics II 5 credits
Analytical Chemistry Lab 2 credits

So I'm currently enrolled in 20 credit hours of pure sciences for this semester. I have labs associated with classes 4 days a week, and I spend from about 10am-5pm in the research lab I work in on Fridays.

So here's where my dilemma comes in. I haven't done too well on my first three lab reports for Analytical, tallying an 85%, 69.5%, and a 75%. There are only 10 labs total. It is a writing across curriculum course, so it is heavily focused on writing in-depth scientific lab reports. I currently have a solid A average in all of my other classes. I fear I may end up with a B or C in Analytical, but it is past the drop / add date for my classes.

I am considering withdrawing from my Analytical lab and focusing on continuing to average As in my other courses. If I do end up dropping it, I have the ability to take it my senior year as the only lab I will be in, so it would have a large majority of my focus. I'm fearing for that dreaded W on my transcript, however... I fear that it will be interpreted as being unable to handle the rigor of medical school if I am struggling with simple general-education science classes. While I don't want to take the GPA hit of a B or a C, but is it worth struggling through the class and avoiding taking a W on my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna be honest, that schedule looks like absolute hell to me. And I'm gonna guess you're at a school where the average is 16 credits, plus a full day of EC lab work. I'd drop for my mental health, never mind my grades. When to drop can be debated on SDN, but my personal vote is to leave.

Reactions: 1 user
I withdrew from a prereq and had multiple interviews, one from a top 20.

Take a W if you need to. Certainly didn't stop me from getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna be honest, that schedule looks like absolute hell to me. And I'm gonna guess you're at a school where the average is 16 credits, plus a full day of EC lab work. I'd drop for my mental health, never mind my grades. When to drop can be debated on SDN, but my personal vote is to leave.

100% agree. Sounds like hell, just drop it nobody is gonna care.

Reactions: 1 users
I know there are so many threads like this out there, but I haven't been able to find some usable advice for my current circumstances... so I need some SDN help!

I'm currently a second-semester sophomore pursuing a B.S. in Biochemistry degree, and here is my schedule:

Introductory Biology Course 4 credits
Associated Biology Lab 1 credit
Organic Chemistry II 3 credits
Organic Lab II for Majors 2 credits
Undergraduate Research 1 credit
General Physics II 5 credits
Analytical Chemistry Lab 2 credits

So I'm currently enrolled in 20 credit hours of pure sciences for this semester. I have labs associated with classes 4 days a week, and I spend from about 10am-5pm in the research lab I work in on Fridays.

So here's where my dilemma comes in. I haven't done too well on my first three lab reports for Analytical, tallying an 85%, 69.5%, and a 75%. There are only 10 labs total. It is a writing across curriculum course, so it is heavily focused on writing in-depth scientific lab reports. I currently have a solid A average in all of my other classes. I fear I may end up with a B or C in Analytical, but it is past the drop / add date for my classes.

I am considering withdrawing from my Analytical lab and focusing on continuing to average As in my other courses. If I do end up dropping it, I have the ability to take it my senior year as the only lab I will be in, so it would have a large majority of my focus. I'm fearing for that dreaded W on my transcript, however... I fear that it will be interpreted as being unable to handle the rigor of medical school if I am struggling with simple general-education science classes. While I don't want to take the GPA hit of a B or a C, but is it worth struggling through the class and avoiding taking a W on my transcript?
just take the w.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you want to have to take this class again? If you really think it’s taking away from your studies then go for it. A W is not going to keep you out of med school and you’re obviously handling rigorous coursework.

On the other hand, if you can stick it out and manage a B, you can have this out of your way.

After pondering this at length and taking the wise words of Goro into consideration, I have decided to withdraw from the course. Thank you all so much for your input!

Reactions: 3 users