Dearest Friends,
I've been checking this site for the longest time, but have never thought in posting a message. However, having been reading the posts on this subject, I feel I should share my story. A short version that is, cause I believe it'll give hope to a lot of you.
Here are my stats, I'm graduating next semester with a Biologo degree from a state university, not really a greatly known school..still growing in it's reputation. I have a cumulative gpa of 2.83 and a science gpa of 2.59. Believe me...these stats are straight from the AADSAS papers. My DAT scores were not that great, actually they were horrible when compared to what I needed to get in order to balance with the GPA.
Sci: 18
Bio: 18
GC: 18
OC: 17
PA: 17
Read: 18
QR: 17
I sent out my applications around august 27th, and applied to 12 schools. Among the schools that I applied, I received an interview from University of Florida. Still haven't heard a thing (besides secondaries) from the other schools. I did my interview on October 18th. And with those stats, you can pretty much guess that I felt pretty scared showing up there. However, I have a lot of extra activities, community service, volunteering involvement, dental shadowing, and research experience. Nevertheless, UF was out of my reach. I never even considered it being a possibility. And I was even considering the fact of not applying there, because it would have been a waste of money.
But you know guys, I couldn't have been more wrong in my life. On Monday I got a call from Dr. Sposetti (the assistant dean of admissions) at 8 am, congratulating me on being accepted to the Dental School for the fall of 03. I almost passed out!! I started crying, and couldnt' believe what I was hearing. hehehe...I'm still chocked by the whole thing.
Now..what I'm trying to say to all of you, is that EVERYTHING is possible as long as you GO FOR IT!! Never loose hope or faith in yourself!!! I know, there are times that it does get really tough and you're ready to let it all go...but just stay strong and remember to BREATHE!!!!! Keep your head up, and don't let ANYONE and i mean it, ANYONE tell you that you can't do it. There are schools out there who are looking past the grades and trying to find those individuals that are determined to bring the best into the field. Also..make sure to BE YOURSELF at the interviews...let them see the TRUE YOU!!!
Best luck to all of you!!! and keep fighting on!!
