The Under 3.0 Club part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(yes, its definitely a good thing this forum is still alive!)

hi guys!

i made this post in another thread recently, but i wanted to put it here to get your guy's feedback, as i think this is more of an appropriate audience.

I'm a reapplicant for 2007- lets just say i wasn't prepared at all last year, and so without much suprise i am back here reapplying. My DAT scores from the last cycle are 18 PAT 17AA, science gpa is 2.6 - i realize both are very low scores.

At this point though, I understand inorder for me to get an interview anywhere, I need to kick ass on the DATs. I'm scheduled to retake it Sept 20th - I've been studying hard, and for the next couple of months will be kicking it up several notches. I'm aiming for solids 20s..

I've been working as a dental assistant at an ortho/pedo office (a specialty that I'm interested in) for the past year, sadly work has consumed most of my time for the past few months.

I know I can't make up for my pitiful GPA (and its rather too late for postbacc programs for the 2007 cycle) I am planning on taking Anatomy w/ Histology, Physio and a Neuro Bio course this coming fall at UCI. The courses will end in December and hopefully I can forward the grades from that quarter to the schools. Of course this wont make up for four years of bad grades, but I just want something to show the schools that I'm serious - that I can do it & keep up with the dental school curriculum. If need be, i will do the same thing winter quarter and forward those grades aswell, but of course they wont be available until march.

Newbie2, i completely understand your situation...in the end, you just have to figure out if the postbacc is worth the time & effort you are putting into it. in my case, i didnt have a postbacc option, so i am doing my own thing and hopefully things will all work out in the end. good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Yah-E said:
FALSE! I didn't finish my Post-Bac (MBS) program at Midwestern and I was accepted to dental schools. As matter of fact, I only did 2 quarters of my MBS and not even do the entire first year of it, I was able to earn 4 acceptances from dental schools.

WHY? because my MBS program was "potent" and "effective"! Find a good post-bac program people, that is key!

Excellent. If i may ask, what school offered you acceptance without completing the program?

Euphoria36 said:
(yes, its definitely a good thing this forum is still alive!)

Newbie2, i completely understand your situation...in the end, you just have to figure out if the postbacc is worth the time & effort you are putting into it. in my case, i didnt have a postbacc option, so i am doing my own thing and hopefully things will all work out in the end. good luck!

Thank you Euphoria. I am really struggling with this decision and it's forcing me to question a lot of things. I may be over thinking it, but at this point i am leaning towards not enrolling in the MA program.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry newbie2, the darn notifier didn't let me know there was more activity in the thread (makes me wonder about A LOT of threads i've subscribed to!)

so the O.Chem labs were easier at PC? hehe I think you have enough of a mixture of coursework at URI & PC that's it's not too much of an issue.

i'm gonna look back at the thread and any other comments i'll post separately.

i appreciate the agony you are going through, man. while i've never tripped, i hear the advice on a bad one is, "hang on, man."

Kane said:
sorry newbie2, the darn notifier didn't let me know there was more activity in the thread (makes me wonder about A LOT of threads i've subscribed to!)

so the O.Chem labs were easier at PC? hehe I think you have enough of a mixture of coursework at URI & PC that's it's not too much of an issue.

i'm gonna look back at the thread and any other comments i'll post separately.

i appreciate the agony you are going through, man. while i've never tripped, i hear the advice on a bad one is, "hang on, man."

Thanks every for your input, i really appreciate it! The more views i can have on this the more informed decision i can make.

Ahhh, orgo labs. Actually I did the labs at PC because they fit into my schedule a bit more. URI doesn't offer night orgo labs :mad: The lecture portion was more difficult at PC than URI, but the class was much smaller so it kind if evened out.

thanks again, and if anyone has any other thoughts i appreciate hearing them.

newbie2 said:
Excellent. If i may ask, what school offered you acceptance without completing the program?

NYU
Nova Southeastern
Marquette
Temple

Hello guys,
I have been reading thread here for a while but still havent found the answer of my question. So please help me!

I am a canadian citizen who is from a dental family and always want to go into dentistry.
I just finished my junior year in McGill University in Biochemistry and my GPA is only 2.5. I havent tried DAT yet because I don't know if I should apply to dentistry if my GPA is so low.
I heard couple of people cannot get into canadian dental/medical school all end up going to east europe. I don't know should I also go into this rounte or flight my best +stay one extra year to raise my GPA/do well in DAT?

the issue is that even if I spend extra year to take science courses, I might not get in dentistry still........
I really really really hope I can get into any USA/Canada dental school you know...becuase I know it is very difficult for foreign trained doctor to come back north american to practice.

Should I even need to bother trying to apply this year? or stay one more extra year? or just go to europe and take long rounte?

Please give me your 2 cents!!!!

ah, my overall cumulative is like 2.5. But my last two years, it's a 3.33. I applied to australia, and got shot down by 1 university and still waiting on the second one.

You can't go the masters route because most schools here require a 78 minimum in the last two.

Do u want to try and do 3 more years of undergrad?

I am willing to do 1 more year of post bac after undergrad,
I still I one more year of university, DO YOU THINK I SHOULD TRANSFER TO AN EASIER SCHOOL? or should I stay in current program and school and know that its very hard for me to do well next year?

transfer schools? I haven't heard of an easy school to go to in canada. Western is pretty tough. I'd stay and try and get a 78 average (B+), and try out for a masters.

Even though I have a horrible overall gpa, my last two years is seriously not going to cut it at 3.33. I will be on the older side when I get into dents (28), but it's something I will have to live with because of my screwups.

Don't give up, people screw up. I'd rather screw up early in life, than later.

Hi Vuln,
the shcool I am thinking to transfer for to is concordia, becasue it is just next to Mcgill.
Would that school be easier?

I would like to know if you are also canadian, and how do you get into dental school in the end.?
My Gpa now is not even enough to apply for master program, this is what worried me!

Hey guys,

I've been doing research about post-bac programs but most of them are NOT remedial programs which is a problem for me. I'm trying to find a program that will accept an under 3.0 GPA so I can boost my GPA when applying to dental school. Any ideas?

Thanks.

rkc1184 said:
Hey guys,

I've been doing research about post-bac programs but most of them are NOT remedial programs which is a problem for me. I'm trying to find a program that will accept an under 3.0 GPA so I can boost my GPA when applying to dental school. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I would absolutely start contacting the schools you're interesting in attending and establish a repore with the admissions staff and directors. They'll be able to get you in some how. Not every student has a 3.0 gpa that has gotten into these schools. There are exceptions!! Trust me!! They jus don't advertise them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I've been around for awhile but never really posted. The thing is, I'm starting to really freak out right now. My overall GPA is a 2.75 and I'm entering my third year. I really want to go to dental school right away but am getting the feeling that it's hopeless since it looks like most of you guys are doing post-bacs and such. I was just wondering if it's maybe possible that if I am able to get like straight A's through my third year and kick ass on the DATs that I could be able to keep my application strong. I've been working in a research lab for 5 months, shadowing a dentist for 2 months, have helped to build an outreach program to spread HIV/AIDS awareness and have kept it strong for about a year, and have tutored middle school and elementary schools in science for almost two years. I wonder if there's anything else out there that I can do to help beef up other parts of my application, if you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when do you think a good time to take the DATs are? If I do apply this year, I want to make sure I'm gonna be the first one to submit an application to AADSAS. I was thinking April would be fine but then schools I've been looking at like Case Western said that April is too late since they start school in July. And I've been actually started studying a little bit for the DATs, taken practice kaplan tests and bought the book and I can't do the TFE's for the life of me! I looked at some threads on here about event counting and it still doesn't make much sense. Any advice?

DividedByZero said:
Hey everyone. I've been around for awhile but never really posted. The thing is, I'm starting to really freak out right now. My overall GPA is a 2.75 and I'm entering my third year. I really want to go to dental school right away but am getting the feeling that it's hopeless since it looks like most of you guys are doing post-bacs and such. I was just wondering if it's maybe possible that if I am able to get like straight A's through my third year and kick ass on the DATs that I could be able to keep my application strong. I've been working in a research lab for 5 months, shadowing a dentist for 2 months, have helped to build an outreach program to spread HIV/AIDS awareness and have kept it strong for about a year, and have tutored middle school and elementary schools in science for almost two years. I wonder if there's anything else out there that I can do to help beef up other parts of my application, if you guys have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, when do you think a good time to take the DATs are? If I do apply this year, I want to make sure I'm gonna be the first one to submit an application to AADSAS. I was thinking April would be fine but then schools I've been looking at like Case Western said that April is too late since they start school in July. And I've been actually started studying a little bit for the DATs, taken practice kaplan tests and bought the book and I can't do the TFE's for the life of me! I looked at some threads on here about event counting and it still doesn't make much sense. Any advice?

I think you have the right attitude - keep doing those great extracurriculars, esp. shadowing dentist, and work hard on your classes this year. A lot of schools will be pretty forgiving of a low GPA if your DAT scores are good(20+) and if they see dramatic improvement in grades (straight or mostly A's would be great). I'm a bit confused as to when you're planning on applying. If you're going into your 3rd year, normally you would be applying the summer of '07 for matriculation in fall '08. I would suggest taking the DAT at the start of summer '07 (june-ish), and filling out your AADSAS application as soon as it becomes available in may '07.

ah91823 said:
Hello guys,
I have been reading thread here for a while but still havent found the answer of my question. So please help me!

I am a canadian citizen who is from a dental family and always want to go into dentistry.
I just finished my junior year in McGill University in Biochemistry and my GPA is only 2.5. I havent tried DAT yet because I don't know if I should apply to dentistry if my GPA is so low.
I heard couple of people cannot get into canadian dental/medical school all end up going to east europe. I don't know should I also go into this rounte or flight my best +stay one extra year to raise my GPA/do well in DAT?

the issue is that even if I spend extra year to take science courses, I might not get in dentistry still........
I really really really hope I can get into any USA/Canada dental school you know...becuase I know it is very difficult for foreign trained doctor to come back north american to practice.

Should I even need to bother trying to apply this year? or stay one more extra year? or just go to europe and take long rounte?

Please give me your 2 cents!!!!

My honest opinion.... You have no chance in Canada.
Hell I don't even think you can get into any usa schools with a 2.5.

A 2.5 is like 65 percent average. You need atleast an 85 to be competitive in canada.

aurora507 said:
I think you have the right attitude - keep doing those great extracurriculars, esp. shadowing dentist, and work hard on your classes this year. A lot of schools will be pretty forgiving of a low GPA if your DAT scores are good(20+) and if they see dramatic improvement in grades (straight or mostly A's would be great). I'm a bit confused as to when you're planning on applying. If you're going into your 3rd year, normally you would be applying the summer of '07 for matriculation in fall '08. I would suggest taking the DAT at the start of summer '07 (june-ish), and filling out your AADSAS application as soon as it becomes available in may '07.

Oh, so we could still take the DAT after we apply to AADSAS and send in the scores afterwards? I see.... I kinda wanted to take the DATs first to see how I do, because if i don't get a 20+ then there's basically no point in applying with my low GPA and all. But since I'm at a UC on the quarter system and taking summer school right now I pretty have much have no time to study for the DATs religiously and apply the routines I've read about so much over SDN. I'm aiming for the very first cycle which I believe is this coming May.

I just don't want to apply and waste like $200+ on application fees and then bomb the DAT in June rendering my application useless.

Thanks for the reply.... it's starting to ease me :)

DividedByZero said:
Oh, so we could still take the DAT after we apply to AADSAS and send in the scores afterwards? I see.... I kinda wanted to take the DATs first to see how I do, because if i don't get a 20+ then there's basically no point in applying with my low GPA and all. But since I'm at a UC on the quarter system and taking summer school right now I pretty have much have no time to study for the DATs religiously and apply the routines I've read about so much over SDN. I'm aiming for the very first cycle which I believe is this coming May.

I just don't want to apply and waste like $200+ on application fees and then bomb the DAT in June rendering my application useless.

Thanks for the reply.... it's starting to ease me :)

First, yes you can take the DAT after you electronically submit your AADSAS application. It takes 4-6 weeks for everything to be verified and for AADSAS to mail your stuff to all the schools, so that's more than enough time for you to take your DAT and have your scores reach the school around the same time as the rest of your app (it takes about a week to 2 weeks for the scores to mail). Also, even if you take the test, say, on June 1, and don't do well, you can re-take it 3 months later - Sept. 1, and that's still not too late. My friend who applied last cycle took hers mid Sept. and got into almost all of her schools. The reason why I would caution you about taking the DAT much earlier is you have to be SURE that you're ready to take the exam. You don't want to rely on the fact that you can re-take it - go into the exam with the mindset that you have to do well the 1st time around.

Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a DAT online pretest? I've search all over, but have been unsuccessful so far. Thanks for the help.

Pre-Dentalguy

pre-dentalguy said:
Hey guys, does anyone know if there's a DAT online pretest? I've search all over, but have been unsuccessful so far. Thanks for the help.

Pre-Dentalguy
Go to Kaplan's website... they should have something there. It's basically half a DAT...

armorshell said:
Well, I'll start off the season with the first <3.0 club interview. NSU on October 13th!
Congrats on your interview invite with NSU! It's truly a great school. BTW, great job on "rocking" the DAT! Strong work. Keep us updated.

Yah-E said:
Congrats on your interview invite with NSU! It's truly a great school. BTW, great job on "rocking" the DAT! Strong work. Keep us updated.
Thank you, and I'm beside myself right now. NSU has been in my "Top Choice" column since I started this whole process. I'm also feeling like if a school of this calibre is willing to invite me to a first round interview, then I may just be taken seriously at other schools too.

Anybody else heard anything favorable yet?

armorshell said:
Well, I'll start off the season with the first <3.0 club interview. NSU on October 13th!

Great work on that... Congrats!! What's your major?

Hello all!
This is a really great thread!
My uncle is a dentist, and I've worked in his office for over eight years during the summer. I've assisted for over two thousand hours I'd say, and I'm certified to polish. I just graduated with my biology degree, that took me five years full time because i went out of my way to take many classes just to make my app better. I had a HORRIBLE freshman year, I was dealing with some really bad personal issues, so my gpa was just ruined. I was able to bring it up considerably, but still not to what any school is looking for. I'm going back to Illinois State University to take some grad level courses to boost my gpa. I know this will help a lot, but its still hard to look at those loan amounts! I hope to be posting more on this thread, because all of your stories match mine so well. I'm really believe that I will make a great dentist, so I have faith in myself. My situation still makes me upset with I think about it...all the time...but i really think when you go through things like this, it makes you a stronger person. I'm sure this holds true to all of you! Just wanted to introduce myself. I have a feeling I'll be on here a lot now! Good luck to all of you!

Great job Armorshell! You have inspired many! And Creighton none the less. Definately a great job.

armorshell said:
Keep your hopes up folks, the "impossible" is possible!

Got another invite from Columbia today!

dude that's awesome. I really hope to follow in your footsteps. :thumbup:

Studied hard! Got my first DAT results back. I'm kind of skeptical with the scores... I actually thought I did better. Should I apply the upcoming cycle or should I retest and enter into a postbacc enhancement program?

1st: AA/TS/PAT: 19/19/22

sci GPA: 2.9
GPA: 2.76
postbaccGPA: 3.02

Master: HRM
Bach: Business
Cert: Dental Asst.

What are these postbacc enhancement programs? I've heard of them and searched some schools but haven't come across any?? If one is to do this for a year is it best to do it at a dental school you want to apply to and attend? In my case I'd have to move to go to the school with the postbacc and then probably move again after only one year to go to the dent school....sucks!
When searching on the internet for such programs what is the best thing to type in...i'm not finding much....kinda lost.

Thanks for the help!

AplusDent said:
What are these postbacc enhancement programs? I've heard of them and searched some schools but haven't come across any?? If one is to do this for a year is it best to do it at a dental school you want to apply to and attend? In my case I'd have to move to go to the school with the postbacc and then probably move again after only one year to go to the dent school....sucks!
When searching on the internet for such programs what is the best thing to type in...i'm not finding much....kinda lost.

Thanks for the help!

The program you're referring to are setup to assist aspiring dental and medical students in their goal of obtaining an allocation in a potential professional school. Here are two links that'll help:

http://hpap.syr.edu/pblist.htm

http://www.midwestern.edu/az-biomed/

Thanks!

Now for some opinions...
I need to improve my cumm. gpa (duh....) but I don't want to take something that will lead to a dead end (career wise) in case the whole dental thing doesn't work out (hopefully it does work but, one must be realistic).
I could do a:
1) One year post-bacc program
2) Non-thesis Masters in Bio
3) Thesis Masters in Bio

Which is best for my situation? Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm in a similar situation:

Graduated with a BS in Biology with 2.5 cGPA. My grades are so low because I'm the oldest son of a single mother family of 5. Throughout my undergrad I work roughly 60 hours a week to help out the family. We struggled and I had no time for school. But in the end I made it but I feel like I am being punished for helping our family survive, I really had no other options. On top of that I had to drive about 80 miles roundtrip each day to get to school, which increased the likely hood of being late or just skipping class. Anyways this is what I did to help my chances for dental school.

I transfered to another school to retake and improve my grades by taking all of my science all over again except for bio/chem I, II. The last 60+ hours I have nothing lower than a B and a 3.66 gpa. The problem is that it only raised my AADSAS gpa to only 2.82 and my DAT scores are 18/19/19. I'm pretty sure I have no chance thus I'm enrolling for graduate school (non degree seeking) that way I will be able to apply again next year with more classes and retaking the DAT. If I did the master program (2 years min) I wont be able to apply until 2009. If next year I'm not accepted again (most likely) I will transfer my graduate work towards the master degree which is a win win situation because your actually advancing rather than just retaking courses at the undergrad level. I know it does nothing for the cGPA but at some point you have to progress rather than go to school without advancing your degee level.

Why can't you go for a degree instead (wouldn't that look better for dent schools?) and then if you get into dent after one year of the masters, then drop it....just don't tell the grad school that your intention is to leave the degree if you get into dent...??

Problem is that some dental school will not accept you if your already enrolled in another program that is not complete such as a masters or phD etc. So you have to wait 2 years before you can apply rather then the next cycle. Each school is different buy most of the ones im applying for said that if I'm in a graduate program I have to finish it before I can be accepted. I can't just drop it unless im non-degree seeking, which is just taking classes. The best program is the 1 year post-bac but if you dont get in after the post bac then what are you suppose to do after that? you basically took all those classes for nothing.

ChronarchB said:
Problem is that some dental school will not accept you if your already enrolled in another program that is not complete such as a masters or phD etc. So you have to wait 2 years before you can apply rather then the next cycle. Each school is different buy most of the ones im applying for said that if I'm in a graduate program I have to finish it before I can be accepted. I can't just drop it unless im non-degree seeking, which is just taking classes. The best program is the 1 year post-bac but if you dont get in after the post bac then what are you suppose to do after that? you basically took all those classes for nothing.

Gentlemen, I understand your pain, but it's all about how bad you want this thing!! I'm in a similar situation as the both you, but you guys have got to figure out if you're going to give it everything you've got and not turn back.

I actually completed my undergrad in business in '05, but as we all know, the basic science courses are not in that degree plan. So as of right now, I'm currently finishing up my chemistry requirements while simultaneously completing my MBA. Both the science req'ts and graduate program will be completed by the sum/fall 07. Afterwards, I'll be applying to a postbacc program to increase my chances and then hopefuly I'll be accepted into a school.

The main point guys is that b/c we're in the under 3.0 club members we have to work a little harder than our competitor with 4.0s engineering degrees. Determination, great grades and being focus has to be our number one priority. STAY FOCUS FELLAS!!... AND STAY POSITIVE!!!

Pre-dentalguy

Studied hard! Got my first DAT results back. I'm kind of skeptical with the scores... I actually thought I did better.

Should I apply the upcoming cycle or should I retest and enter into a postbacc enhancement program?

Can I get in with these scores??

1st: AA/TS/PAT: 19/19/22

sci GPA: 2.9
GPA: 2.76
postbaccGPA: 3.02

Master: HRM
Bach: Business
Cert: Dental Asst.

I'm going to say it's unlikely. Unless you are an underrepresented minority and in no way am I taking a shot at minorities! But good luck!!!

Come on. Based on other posts, he has a strong chance this cycle. Just a few weeks will tell, right?

I know we're all with you, man.

A win for you is a win for me - considering my #s.

Kane

I really think that I should give up this dentistry dream. I have struggled for so long....I'm really tired. I don't know what else to do. I have a GPA of a 2.95 and I made a 14 on my firsy try of the DAT. I can't seem to pass physics, I am taking it over for the last time....if I don't pass it.... then I'm done. But enough of this. Do you guys have any suggestions of how I can make my application shine when I apply in 2008? Or should I give up? :confused:

Pretty Smile said:
I really think that I should give up this dentistry dream. I have struggled for so long....I'm really tired. I don't know what else to do. I have a GPA of a 2.95 and I made a 14 on my firsy try of the DAT. I can't seem to pass physics, I am taking it over for the last time....if I don't pass it.... then I'm done. But enough of this. Do you guys have any suggestions of how I can make my application shine when I apply in 2008? Or should I give up? :confused:

PSmile, you've really got to pick you head bro. If this is something that you really want, you may need to hit the books a little harder than you've been doing. Secondly, you have to look at this realistically. If you're giving it all you've got and still cannot make the minimum req'ts, just maybe DMD is not for you. Only you know if it is or not!

A lot of people come on this site looking for networking and motivation, which is not a problem, and base their dreams and goals from the lives and successes of others here... when it cannot be that way!! You have to honestly look within yourself and decide if this is for you. Everyone here can reply and motivate you, but that won't change your physics and DAT grade. You make the choice!!!

Also, i did very bad in my biology class, i got c+ in biolog 150-living world( not require for dental school, only for people who didn't take the ap class in high school, b in biology 201, but c again in biology202-celler physiology, i am goiong to take the anatomy and physiology (combining them together,and this class is decide for non-science major). hopefully i can get some good grade in order to show that i can handle biology.my gpa is about 3.2.(under the average) after few days, i will be jurnior and plan to take the DAT in january,2007(( i have no idear when and how to seriously prepare for the dat, can anybody give some idears). Jurnior year is the most stressful year and the most importat year and it's year to decide my future.

So I what I learn from this is...if you got low GPA, don't submit the application yet until you get a really kickass DAT score to make up the damage of the past.

That seems to be the a big message of this thread.

Cearly, a strong DAT score for people in our situation is the best thing.

And studying, not wishful thinking, nor spending a lot of time with SDN.com, is what can help make that happen.

I've never added a little quote to my signature. I guess because I sort of "collect" aphorisms, so I know A LOT of inspirational quotes. But one that seems fitting in this case is:

The hard thing and the right thing are the same thing.

Kane.

I have around a 3.0 cum GPA and <3.0 sci GPA. I'm an entering junior. I flunked Orgo I sophomore year and am retaking it this year. I'm studying for the DAT right now and um, no extracurrics really though I intend on shadowing. When is the best time I should take the DAT? Any schools I can apply to? Am I screwed?

Sry, but I went to the ADA website and I could find no information regarding testing dates. Does anyone know about this?

I wouldn't quite say screwed..... however it's going to take some work to get that GPA back up to where you want it to be. If I were you concentrate on that first because even with a killer DAT score schools are going to want to see some decent grades. Well, to be honest pretty much high B's and A's from now on. It's MUCH easier to have a decent GPA and then try to ace the DAT then to try to make up for a low GPA (trust me I've learned this the hard way!). At least with the DAT you can take it a few times. BTW, the DAT is offered through out the year, you just have to register to take it and there is a 90 day policy between retakes with a 3 test cap. You're only a Junior, you have plenty of time. I didn't figure things out til 2 years out of college so your way ahead of me. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.