The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is the old underdog thread, but after much prayer, effort, and luck, another underdog got in this year. I just want to say that even if you are waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP! Still in shock. :)

Congrats :thumbup:

moved comment to the new thread.

PS: HockeyDR, you're a frigging boss for managing this thread. A true asset to our community. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
thought i'd throw out my results to this thread (if it's still open)
started out the application season with a pretty good GPA and low mcat
this was my second cycle of applications and I improved my Mcat 5 points and that turned out to be the biggest Factor I believe.

I was accepted into all 4 medical schools I interviewed at.
This IS possible if you want it bad enough you will succeed!

Best of LUCK to all Underdogs this upcoming application season! I'll be pulling for each and every one of you!!!

Last edited:
How much will your gpa raise if you retake two classes ( had c's) and earn either A or B. My cgpa: 3.3 nonsceince:3.53 and sciencegpa: 2.7

How much will your gpa raise if you retake two classes ( had c's) and earn either A or B. My cgpa: 3.3 nonsceince:3.53 and sciencegpa: 2.7

It really depends on how many science classes you took. If you ONLY took the core classes required for med school (as in, you were not a science major), it'll definitely lift it up a LOT. If you took mostly science classes, it'll still have a positive effect, but it will be less drastic.

To put it in perspective for you, I have 80 science credits, and changing 4 C/C+s to As in 4 credit classes will bump my sGPA from a 3.08 to a 3.36. It's pretty substantial.

I have a question myself regarding the grade forgiveness policy. Can anybody find any information on it from an accredited source? I need to verify that it works the way I think it does before I sign up and pay for these 4 classes.

ksmajmudar,

thanks!! That is a big difference so I may do it afterall. If I find any info for ya Ill let ya know.

Hi Guys I want some input on my situation.

I practiced so much for the verbal section. Every practice test i took I would get a 9 in the verbal which I was happy about (i took over 6 practices), then i took the real thing (3 times) and bombed that specific section 3 times. Here are my scores:

First try:
Verbal 5; Bio 10; Physics 10; Writing S; Total: 25S

Second Try (best score):
Verbal 6; Bio 11; Physics 11; Writing S; Total: 28S

Third Try:
Verbal 5; Bio 11; Physics 12; Writing Q; Total: 28Q

Combined high score of 29S. Verbal 6, Bio 11, Physics 11, Writing S.

I wanted to know what people think of my chances? I am only applying to DO.

My cGPA is 3.79, sGPA is 3.79 (this is an edit from before where i had listed 2.79), and I have a ton of clinical and non clinical volunteering, leadership experience, and am currently working 2 clinical research jobs (one full time, one half time). I graduated from college last year. I literally have everything going except for that verbal section. Will DO schools be able to look past this and see me for the otherwise excellent candidate I (personally believe that I) am?

Last edited:

I practiced so much for the verbal section. Every practice test i took I would get a 9 in the verbal which I was happy about (i took over 6 practices), then i took the real thing (3 times) and bombed that specific section 3 times. Here are my scores:

First try:

Second Try (best score):

Third Try:

My cGPA is 3.79, sGPA is 2.79, and I have a ton of clinical and non clinical volunteering, leadership experience, and am currently working 2 clinical research jobs (one full time, one half time). I graduated from college last year. I literally have everything going except for that verbal section. Will DO schools be able to look past this and see me for the otherwise excellent candidate I (personally believe that I) am?

Is English your second language? From what I've gathered around here: 7 seems to be an "unofficial cutoff" for any one section, especially for VR, at most schools. But it also seems to be the case that there is a bit of leniency for ESL students. I don't think your problem is really going to be the 6, it's going to be the two 5's that you got. Especially since you got a 5 on your most recent take, which is going to be the test that most schools will look at. The schools that will mix and match, and the schools that will use the best set of scores will hopefully give you a shot! Good luck! :luck:

First try:

Second Try (best score):

Third Try:

My cGPA is 3.79, sGPA is 2.79, and I have a ton of clinical and non clinical volunteering, leadership experience, and am currently working 2 clinical research jobs (one full time, one half time). I graduated from college last year. I literally have everything going except for that verbal section. Will DO schools be able to look past this and see me for the otherwise excellent candidate I (personally believe that I) am?

I honestly think your mcat is fine, I know of schools that would look over the 5 especially since its verbal and just focus on your total score which is good. So dont stress out!! I think it will be fine,

I honestly think your mcat is fine, I know of schools that would look over the 5 especially since its verbal and just focus on your total score which is good. So dont stress out!! I think it will be fine,

Hey thanks! I sure hope so. I have the GPAs and extracurriculars. Hopefully they can see that as a whole I am a very strong candidate.

Posted in wrong thread...

Last edited:
I am sharing this information, because only a few months ago after my second try at the MCAT I thought there was no chance for me. Now I am applying this cycle for DO schools. My advice: Don't stop trying, but don't waste time and money if you haven't confronted your weaknesses with this exam.

1st MCAT 4/24/10 : 20K (9BS,8PS,3VS)
2nd MCAT 1/28/11: 23Q (10BS,8PS, 5VS)
3rd MCAT 7/28/11: 27Q (10BS, 8PS, 9VS)

Shadowing DO ~ 50 hours
REU research

Submitted my AACOMAS on 9/7/11, I am a little anxious. I hope I didnt wait too long to submit.

I am sharing this information, because only a few months ago after my second try at the MCAT I thought there was no chance for me. Now I am applying this cycle for DO schools. My advice: Don't stop trying, but don't waste time and money if you haven't confronted your weaknesses with this exam.

1st MCAT 4/24/10 : 20K (9BS,8PS,3VS)
2nd MCAT 1/28/11: 23Q (10BS,8PS, 5VS)
3rd MCAT 7/28/11: 27Q (10BS, 8PS, 9VS)

Shadowing DO ~ 50 hours
REU research

Submitted my AACOMAS on 9/7/11, I am a little anxious. I hope I didnt wait too long to submit.

Post in the new Underdog thread...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820171&page=15

Hi everyone,

I am really happy to have found this support group. I was getting depressed after spending just a few minutes in the "what are my chances" forum.

But, I found this group and I am pretty sure I don't need a shrink anymore :)

Would it be ok if I join the group? Here are my stats: 3.3 s/cGPA and 23 mcat (9/4/10) (retaking in Jan)

Hi everyone,

I am really happy to have found this support group. I was getting depressed after spending just a few minutes in the "what are my chances" forum.

But, I found this group and I am pretty sure I don't need a shrink anymore :)

Would it be ok if I join the group? Here are my stats: 3.3 s/cGPA and 23 mcat (9/4/10) (retaking in Jan)

SDN can be intimidating sometimes :) and although I'm sure there still have a lot of great people that will read your post, I would suggest post in the current Underdog thread for best results

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...820171&page=15

Good luck!:luck:

MCAT: 11 P.S 9 VR 11 B.S Total 31
GPA: sGPA 2.89 cGPA 3.09 (AMCAS) sGPA 3.01 sGPA 3.13 (AACOMAS)

I'm a Texas resident, I have about 300 hours worth of shadowing, 120 hours volunteering at a hospital, 600 volunteering in a lab, 200 working in a lab.

Do I have a chance?