The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys:

I am currently really concerned about getting into any medical program. My stats are around 3.15 GPA at a top school (one from HYPS). I am about to take my MCATs but I am projecting (yes, I know it is impossible to really project) at least a 35, based on how I am doing on practice tests. I am a non-trad applicant with double major in music and biology, with considerable recognition in music in awards etc. I have decent but not spectacular lab experiences with abstracts and pending second author pub. in basic science lab and clinical research lab respectively. Some decent clinical experience too with a position in free clinic.

After reading about DO programs, it is definitely sounding like something I would like to pursue. But I have a few concerns:

1) I do not have a DO physician for LOR.
2) My sGPA is really low, possibly under 3.0.

Given this, how would be my chances in DO schools? Would I likely have a chance to get in somewhere this cycle?

Thank you for your help.

I would look on this website this is what I used. I swear there was another website too but I can't find the link at the moment. If you still don't find one I would call a school that's local and ask if you get in touch with some alumni, I did that for Western and they were really helpful!

As for your scigpa, I would try really hard to get it up to at least 3.0. Some schools have a cutoff at 3.0. I know Touro-NV for Class of 2016 is 3.0min sci and overall, and I think DMU too? The easiest way to do that would be to retake classes you didn't do well in since AACOMAS will replace those grades, much faster gpa repair. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the reply guys.
But I would still like a honest assessment of my chances if I were to apply this cycle (assuming 3.15 gpa with lower sGPA and around 35-38 mcat).

Thanks

I'll be at a 3.09 after my summer classes finish in August, which is when I plan on taking the MCAT and submitting my application. I also plan on taking a full load in the fall, with a couple of retakes raising my sciGPA to a 3.41. Should I apply in Aug and update my scores to my schools in December after I get my 3.41? I realize its' way late in the game by that point, but I want to give it a shot if I have it. Hopefully my MCAT will come back 30-32.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at a 3.09 after my summer classes finish in August, which is when I plan on taking the MCAT and submitting my application. I also plan on taking a full load in the fall, with a couple of retakes raising my sciGPA to a 3.41. Should I apply in Aug and update my scores to my schools in December after I get my 3.41? I realize its' way late in the game by that point, but I want to give it a shot if I have it. Hopefully my MCAT will come back 30-32.

Yes. Get your primary in ASAP. You'll have to wait until Sept to get your MCAT score but have everything else ready by then, secondaries included. You can update grades as they come but definitely get everything in before December. (Although even if you do get everything done by December, you'll still have a chance with a decent enough MCAT). Get your apps in ASAP!

I'm in the same boat as most of you. Is it a bad idea to submit my primary with an MCAT of 23 at the beginning of June. I have a 3.8 gpa (undergraduate) and 3.8 from graduate school (taking the same courses as other medical students). Will schools reject right away or will they put it on hold until I get my score up? And if they do reject my primary app. will I get a chance to show them my new score if I do retake it? I have heard it is best to apply early, but I don't want to be rejected before I get a chance at a second MCAT. I guess if I wlill ask too, that do you think my gpa, while taking med. school classes will "trump" my low MCAT? THanks.

Get your app in ASAP and you'll just indicate that you're retaking. You'll be fine, as long as you improve your score. Good luck!

I've just got to throw my comments in with the rest who are praising this thread. It truly is a testament to what a person with a sharpened focus can do.

It's amazing to see what all of us "underdogs" were able to accomplish this year. Though I do want to point out that none of us were "underdogs" when it comes right down to it; we were excellent candidates who just needed extra effort to let others see our potential. I'm a firm believer in the notion that you are only as weak as you believe you are. I knew I belonged, and I think everyone else could see that at my interview.

To all of this coming cycle's "underdogs" keep your heads up, show everyone why you are going to be an incredible doctor. You have to believe you belong in medical school; if you don't it will show, and you will struggle with this process.

I should relate a neat experience I had the other night. I've been trying to spend as much time as possible with my family during the past few weeks. I'll be moving out of state in a month and my family is poor enough that I probably won't see them much in the next few years. When I came home late Saturday night there was a letter in the mail from NSUCOM, this late in the cycle it could only be one thing, a rejection notice.

As I opened it up it was surprisingly cathartic reading this rejection knowing I was starting DO school in two months. I was never very interested in NSUCOM in the first place, but I applied "broadly" as was recommended. I had received rejections from KCOM, CCOM, and LECOM-B before I was even invited for an interview. Those letters hurt because it felt like my goal was slipping through my fingers. But I was ultimately accepted at my #1 program in the end. So this time the letter didn't sting at all!

I really couldn't have asked for a better result this year. As an "underdog" I was accepted during my first application attempt, by my top-choice, following my first interview. I went ahead and withdrew my applications from the remaining programs, and cancelled my remaining interviews when I got the word from SOMA.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell the future underdogs to stay positive and exude confidence. If you believe you belong in medical school, then make everyone else believe and you will get there.

Best of luck to everyone.

I've just got to throw my comments in with the rest who are praising this thread. It truly is a testament to what a person with a sharpened focus can do.

It's amazing to see what all of us "underdogs" were able to accomplish this year. Though I do want to point out that none of us were "underdogs" when it comes right down to it; we were excellent candidates who just needed extra effort to let others see our potential. I'm a firm believer in the notion that you are only as weak as you believe you are. I knew I belonged, and I think everyone else could see that at my interview.

To all of this coming cycle's "underdogs" keep your heads up, show everyone why you are going to be an incredible doctor. You have to believe you belong in medical school; if you don't it will show, and you will struggle with this process.

I should relate a neat experience I had the other night. I've been trying to spend as much time as possible with my family during the past few weeks. I'll be moving out of state in a month and my family is poor enough that I probably won't see them much in the next few years. When I came home late Saturday night there was a letter in the mail from NSUCOM, this late in the cycle it could only be one thing, a rejection notice.

As I opened it up it was surprisingly cathartic reading this rejection knowing I was starting DO school in two months. I was never very interested in NSUCOM in the first place, but I applied "broadly" as was recommended. I had received rejections from KCOM, CCOM, and LECOM-B before I was even invited for an interview. Those letters hurt because it felt like my goal was slipping through my fingers. But I was ultimately accepted at my #1 program in the end. So this time the letter didn't sting at all!

I really couldn't have asked for a better result this year. As an "underdog" I was accepted during my first application attempt, by my top-choice, following my first interview. I went ahead and withdrew my applications from the remaining programs, and cancelled my remaining interviews when I got the word from SOMA.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell the future underdogs to stay positive and exude confidence. If you believe you belong in medical school, then make everyone else believe and you will get there.

I love this post. ^

FIGHT for it! If you really want to get into medical school, prove it. We've all made our mistakes, whether it be GPA or MCAT. Own up to it, improve on it, and get in. Contact the schools you're interested in. Retake classes you did poorly in. Retake a poor MCAT score. Attend open houses. Meet admissions officers. Show your interest. Do whatever you can to improve your application, and never take no for an answer. Most importantly, stay confident and don't lose hope, we've all been there, and we've gotten past it.

Well said :thumbup:

With SLC's wonderful post, I thought I'd throw in my own summary.

What a strange trip this was. In 2008, I applied to 11 schools and was rejected by all of them. Two deans of admission even suggested I "consider other careers" when I inquired on the weaknesses of my application.

After two years of hands-on, direct patient care experience and a slight increase in MCAT score, I applied to 27 schools. I got 1 acceptance. It only takes one school to believe in you. The truly strange part was that the LECOM interview was the first interview of the year.

I attended two interviews and was invited to a third. Twenty-six schools said no to me. One said yes. And that's all I need.

I feel pretty much like the mega underdog so I will post here what I posted in the "What are my chances?" forum. Appreciate thoughtful advice.

About me: Non-traditional, older (early 30s) student, worked for 4 years after humanities undergrad in fairly high profile jobs (gov't and Fortune 15 company); then returned to school (post bacc) to complete prereqs for med school.

Lots of volunteering, some shadowing, excellent LOR's (some even from professors during undergrad with whom I still keep in touch, and some from post bacc).

Items to note: During early undergrad, I had some problems. I was an early admit to college and was not prepared in some ways for the tasks ahead. I also faced economic disadvantage which impacted performance.

I withdrew for a while, sorted myself out, and returned to do well. I have also done well in my post bacc. I have essentially tried to correct the matter to the best of my ability, but who really knows how many times one has to keep paying for mistakes of the past.....

That said, here are my numbers, it is basically full disclosure.

Undergrad (yes, 7 years for a BA, I am a dork!):
2e28472a5a.jpg

Post-Baccalaureate:
5354d47016.jpg

Cumulative:

43140160f4.jpg

MCAT:
1st try, September 2010: 21S (8VR, 7PS, 6 BS, S Writing)
2nd try, March 2011: 26Q (10 VR, 7 PS, 9 BS, Q Writing)

I'm more or less ok with the MCAT for now. I did not take any sort of review course, and I am not applying to US MD schools, and from what I understand, I am in the range for DO schools.

I could probably raise my MCAT by a few more points with some effort; for instance, I feel there is potential for the Physical Sciences section, as the Physical Sciences have come more easily to me than Biological Sciences. I also know that when I prepared for my 2nd MCAT, I focused almost solely on BS, and did not really study further for the PS. The way the cards were stacked after the first MCAT, I had to improve much more on the Biological Sciences than PS, which I did. Still, it does make me wonder if I could at least shift a point or maybe two or three on PS.

Biological Sciences I think I am close to maxing out, maybe squeeze out one more point. As for Verbal, I could probably get to an 11 or 12 with some effort.

As it is though, I took the MCAT nearly an entire full year after finishing up prereqs (information starts to fade), and not sure what I think of refreshing even more information now.

Additionally, while I know I am not old....I do feel older, and would like just to get the show on the road. I am good with DO, Caribbean Big Four is also good, Internal Medicine (subspeciality) is what I am thinking of for residency, so it would be nice to start soon.

What do folks think?

Thank you so much anyone and everyone for your input, and best of luck to all!!!
Which DO schools (if any) would be good? Also, my application is ready, personal statement, LOR's done, so would do my best to apply early.

Last edited:
I don't think you're in a good range for DO schools. The average DO GPA is a 3.48? If you're serious about med school, you need to go retake those Fs and C-s.

If your sGPA is close to a 3.5, I may be wrong and it would be a good idea to apply broadly.

Last edited:
If your sGPA is close to a 3.5, I may be wrong and it would be a good idea to apply broadly.

Well, my science GPA is 3.5. As I understand it, that is around the average DO sGPA? Also, my MCAT is 26Q (26S, if you count my best writing score).

As far as retaking the C-'s and F's, maybe that is what I need to do. At the same time, I'm a little surprised that it is really that important to retake humanities classes from over 10 years ago.

I mean, the whole point of going back to school for the last 2-3years, after such a long time, and doubly, taking hard sciences classes....was to 1) not only complete the med school prereqs, but 2) offset those decade old grades, and show schools that I can do sort of well.

So while I would hope that my recent performance in science classes for the last several years, would be more relevant than say three F's I got in Economics and Anthropology....if I'm understanding you correctly, and repeating those humanities courses is what it takes....

Members don't see this ad :)
SLC:

I got also got the NSU letter recently, in fact I got it last night. It was funny cuz the first thing i thought was "meh rejection letter....wait **** that I didnt even finish my application for NSU". In fact NSU was like my 5th choice.

To add to what the others have been saying, I was also rejected from quite a few schools (plus on hold at 3 I believe) BUT all I was hoping for was an interview. Just one interview. I was lucky to get two interviews and I was accepted to both schools (Touro-NY and Western) I knew that if I got an interview I could go in there and use my social skills to win over the interviewers. Just as important, I was passionate about all of my answers and confident in them. The goal of the interview is to make it seem as if you are ready to start med school the next day and that you are mature/passionate enough about medicine.

Good luck to this years re-applicants/ new underdogs. At this time next year, Im sure MANY of you guys who did not think you had a chance ....will have multiple acceptances.

Edit: thought I would add my stats/info in case anyone was wondering. My GPA was somewhere around 3.2-3.3 ( I retook 2 courses and havent seen my updated GPA since). I have one D which I did not retake. My GPA had a STRONG upward trend which my 4th year being like a 3.9-4.0 with upper level science courses. I scored a 30R on the MCAT. I had a DO letter, and several other letters from profs. I had EXTENSIVE volunteer work/involvement in the community and sports. If I had known I was going to attend a US medical school, I would have toned down the volunteer work and studied more. Im Canadian and our med schools are much more competitive to get into, so the pre-meds are a weird super-breed and volunteer like 30 hours a week. Not fun to compete with.

Anyway keep your chins up, good luck to all

Last edited:
It's not about the courses. I realize that they are BS courses. I got 2 D's from courses I have nowhere to retake. I think it's about what the numbers will reflect and that you made an effort to shadow these mistakes. Either way, a 3.0 can get your foot at the door much more easily than a 2.9.

I will take back my last comment. 3.0/3.5/26Q can get you an acceptance at almost any D.O. school.

Well, my science GPA is 3.5. As I understand it, that is around the average DO sGPA? Also, my MCAT is 26Q (26S, if you count my best writing score).

As far as retaking the C-'s and F's, maybe that is what I need to do. At the same time, I'm a little surprised that it is really that important to retake humanities classes from over 10 years ago.

I mean, the whole point of going back to school for the last 2-3years, after such a long time, and doubly, taking hard sciences classes....was to 1) not only complete the med school prereqs, but 2) offset those decade old grades, and show schools that I can do sort of well.

So while I would hope that my recent performance in science classes for the last several years, would be more relevant than say three F's I got in Economics and Anthropology....if I'm understanding you correctly, and repeating those humanities courses is what it takes....

It's not about the courses. I realize that they are BS courses. I got 2 D's from courses I have nowhere to retake. I think it's about what the numbers will reflect and that you made an effort to shadow these mistakes. Either way, a 3.0 can get your foot at the door much more easily than a 2.9.

I will take back my last comment. 3.0/3.5/26Q can get you an acceptance at almost any D.O. school.

Thanks for your input TriagePreMed. You made a sincere suggestion to retake/offset those BS, and it was a worthwhile comment. I guess I'm just a little annoyed (at myself) regarding those classes from way back. It's like....how many times and how many different ways do I have to pay for those mistakes of youth!!! AAAAARGH!!!!!

On a less Bovarian note, I am thinking about retaking those courses (maybe online or something), since another poster has made a similar suggestion.

If I did, and got A's in them, my cumulative GPA would go to a 3.22. At the least, I am at a 2.95 right now, and moving up past 3.0 cumulative would be helpful, as you mention.

I do think that I will try and apply early though with what I have right now. Hopefully someone, somewhere will take me. All it takes is one, after all.

Any suggestions on where is best to apply?

Thanks for your input TriagePreMed. You made a sincere suggestion to retake/offset those BS, and it was a worthwhile comment. I guess I'm just a little annoyed (at myself) regarding those classes from way back. It's like....how many times and how many different ways do I have to pay for those mistakes of youth!!! AAAAARGH!!!!!

On a less Bovarian note, I am thinking about retaking those courses (maybe online or something), since another poster has made a similar suggestion.

If I did, and got A's in them, my cumulative GPA would go to a 3.22. At the least, I am at a 2.95 right now, and moving up past 3.0 cumulative would be helpful, as you mention.

I do think that I will try and apply early though with what I have right now. Hopefully someone, somewhere will take me. All it takes is one, after all.

Any suggestions on where is best to apply?

Until you're above a 3.0 cuGPA do not apply to DMU, NSU-COM, OSU-COM, UMDNJ-COM, or TouroNV because you won't get secondaries. Also, make sure to get a DO letter.

If I were you, retake the classes you failed or got a C- in (18cr and get all As). One semester of retakes will bump your cuGPA from the basement to the low end of competitive, 2nd percentile to ~31th percentile if you have a 3.36 CuGPA.

SLC:

Im Canadian and our med schools are much more competitive to get into, so the pre-meds are a weird super-breed and volunteer like 30 hours a week. Not fun to compete with.

Isn't that the truth!!

:laugh:

SLC:

If I had known I was going to attend a US medical school, I would have toned down the volunteer work and studied more. Im Canadian and our med schools are much more competitive to get into, so the pre-meds are a weird super-breed and volunteer like 30 hours a week. Not fun to compete with.

I was going to say that med schools in Canada seem to be more academically inclined, but then I noticed you are from B.C. (NAQ score and all that). Canada is definitely tough, with our two provinces (Ontario and B.C.) being the toughest. Its hard to compete when it isn't something you have been planning since you were like 15.

That's the truth! At least there are a few schools in Ontario, which don't require the MCAT, which could help a non traditional student. I'm more interested in DO, so I didn't apply and let me tell you it was challenging taking that test after being out of premed courses for 15 years.

Hello everyone, Im a big fan of the thread and even without an MCAT score, I know I qualify. Won't be an underdog for long though!

undergrad GPA at graduation: somewhere between 2.1 and 2.3 :scared: with all med school pre-reqs taken except orgo series. Had "some trouble" adjusting to FSU life after going to an all-male Catholic high school. degree in social sciences, 120+ credits.

Managed a restaurant (and grew the #$*& up) for three years while dreaming of a career in science, until I got back into school last fall.

Ive retaken most of those pre-reqs, along with a few Fs in calculus and a few other classes I should have easily aced.

Have since taken 25 credits of pre-reqs at a GPA of 3.95 while working almost full time as a student research assistant (no publications yet) and shadowing an excellent and well-respected DO.

AACOMAS gpa went from 2.2 to 3.07 (and climbing) in one year, BCPM from <1.5 to 3.44 (and climbing) in one year.

next up: re-learn Spanish, advanced Bio courses, MCAT next spring, and if it makes sense when the time comes, I'll be applying in June 2012 for matriculation in fall 2013.

Good luck everyone!!!!

Hey guys, I'm another underdog :)

So I was messing around with some gpa calculations, and it looks like I'll be able to get around a 3.03ish (maybe higher?) if I retake gen chem and also do decently during the fall semester of classes (I'll be taking Genetics which is a bit scary but we'll see). Anyway, since most of the DO schools deadlines aren't until Feb/March/April, do you guys think it would be beneficial to retake gen chem next semester along with the rest of my classes? I've been reading a few threads and it seems that 3.0gpa and decent mcat is good enough for a DO acceptance? Since my grades from the fall semester won't be out until mid December..I'd have to apply after that, is that considered "late", would it matter at all? Or should I just wait, take it a little slow, retake gen chem during spring semester (my last semester of college), do an SMP or post bacc and then apply to DO? What do you think?

Hey guys, I'm another underdog :)

So I was messing around with some gpa calculations, and it looks like I'll be able to get around a 3.03ish (maybe higher?) if I retake gen chem and also do decently during the fall semester of classes (I'll be taking Genetics which is a bit scary but we'll see). Anyway, since most of the DO schools deadlines aren't until Feb/March/April, do you guys think it would be beneficial to retake gen chem next semester along with the rest of my classes? I've been reading a few threads and it seems that 3.0gpa and decent mcat is good enough for a DO acceptance? Since my grades from the fall semester won't be out until mid December..I'd have to apply after that, is that considered "late", would it matter at all? Or should I just wait, take it a little slow, retake gen chem during spring semester (my last semester of college), do an SMP or post bacc and then apply to DO? What do you think?

If you cross that 3.0 and you can score 28+ mcat, you will definitely have a chance.

The lowdown on me:
Graduated in 2002 w/BA in French Cum GPA: 3.21Sci GPA: 2.55
Took some more classes and current Sci GPA is 2.66
Graduated with a PharmD (GPA 3.3) in 2010
Worked 20-25 hours in hospital while in Pharm school.
Research project w/poster presentation during Pharm school.
Taking Physics 2 this summer and MCAT June 16th.
Letters from MD, two science profs and dean (former teacher) of a different pharmacy school than the one I attended.
Lived overseas in third world countries for ten years.
Applying to DO only.
So, what so you guys think? What kind of MCAT score do I need to make up for past grievances?

Last edited:
The lowdown on me:
Graduated in 2002 w/BA in French Cum GPA: 3.21Sci GPA: 2.55
Took some more classes and current Sci GPA is 2.60
Graduated with a PharmD (GPA 3.3) in 2010
Worked 20-25 hours in hospital while in Pharm school.
Research project w/poster presentation during Pharm school.
Taking Physics 2 this summer and MCAT June 16th.
Letters from MD, two science profs and dean (former teacher) of a different pharmacy school than the one I attended.
Lived overseas in third world countries for ten years.
Applying to DO only.
So, what so you guys think? What kind of MCAT score do I need to make up for past grievances?

Anything >25 is good. From PharmD to DO?? Hmmm, drastic career change

Underdog here with 3.24 sGPA, 3.29cGPA, MCAT 33M. Currently retaking Organic Chemistry II , and fulfilling the English prerequisite in the summer. I'm just starting to volunteer and I'm severely lacking in that aspect. Should I put my application on hold for a while to accumulate more volunteer hours so I can write sth meaningful on my personal statement, or is it better to apply as soon as possible?

Underdog here with 3.24 sGPA, 3.29cGPA, MCAT 33M. Currently retaking Organic Chemistry II , and fulfilling the English prerequisite in the summer. I'm just starting to volunteer and I'm severely lacking in that aspect. Should I put my application on hold for a while to accumulate more volunteer hours so I can write sth meaningful on my personal statement, or is it better to apply as soon as possible?

I'm not sure where you are looking to apply, but you have a strong MCAT score. IMO I don't think you would need to stress about volunteer stuff too much, but volunteering does always look good.

Permission to join. Finished my freshman year with a 2.5. Sophmore coming to and end. Should be about a 3.3 or so.

You are not an underdog.

Also, IMHO the volunteer stuff is highly overrated. I had absolutely no volunteer experience and I'll be starting medical school in the fall.

You are definitely not an undergog even if your GPAs are a bit below average..your mcat is way above average. I think you might get even some love from some low tiers allo school.

You are not an underdog.

Also, IMHO the volunteer stuff is highly overrated. I had absolutely no volunteer experience and I'll be starting medical school in the fall.
Are you serious? The consensus at SDN is that: "No ECs no love from med school".

Hey guys. I would appreciate some input on what my chances are regarding gaining admission into DO school. I am considereing myself an underdog because I didn't get accepted anywhere last year.
BA in Psychology (minor in chemistry)
3.93 cGPA/3.80 sGPA
27N
40 hrs DO shadowing/about 130 hrs medical shadowing total
not really any EC's other than being a member of numerous honor societies

I did get my application in fairly late last year due to unfortunate circumstances. Do you think that may have been my problem or am I just not a good candidate? Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Hey guys. I would appreciate some input on what my chances are regarding gaining admission into DO school. I am considereing myself an underdog because I didn't get accepted anywhere last year.
3.93 cGPA/3.78 sGPA
27M

I did get my application in fairly late last year due to unfortunate circumstances. Do you think that may have been my problem or am I just not a good candidate. Thanks guys!

Yeah I think applying late might have been your problem, you've got great stats! How late did you apply? I would get your app in asap and continue with shadowing/volunteer stuff. Maybe some non-medically related stuff as well? :luck:

Are you serious? The consensus at SDN is that: "No ECs no love from med school".

This is what I thought too. If I'm not mistaken, I think fiz is a paramedic? I would think that takes care of the volunteer hours lol.

About 90%+ of those admitted have volunteer hours, so it's best to do them. Usually those that don't have something exceptional in other areas.

Yeah I think applying late might have been your problem, you've got great stats! How late did you apply? I would get your app in asap and continue with shadowing/volunteer stuff. Maybe some non-medically related stuff as well? :luck:

I believe that I submitted my application in August. Thanks for the feedback!

I believe that I submitted my application in August. Thanks for the feedback!
Wow, you have competitive stats, did you apply to just DO?? I think you are good for MD schools because c3.9 is pretty good.

Wow, you have competitive stats, did you apply to just DO?? I think you are good for MD schools because c3.9 is pretty good.

27 on the mcat is going to hurt his chances and if one of the sections were below an 8 he's going to have very low chances. He should probably retake the mcat to have a good chance at US MD schools.

I did apply to 2 MD schools. Creighton and University of Nebraska Medical Center. I am on the alternate list at Creighton as of right now. I got 10 verbal/9 bio/8 phys so none were below an 8 but I know they still aren't great. I have my application finished for this year pretty much. Just waiting on my final grades for this semester. I have only got back my biochemistry grade so far (which I was extremely happy was an A+). I have another question for all you helpful peers. If I am starting a new job and volunteering somewhere starting in June, should I put that on my application even though I haven't started yet? I will have worked/volunteered at those places by the time my application is even verified, so I was just wondering. Thanks again for the help guys.

3.93 cGPA/3.80 sGPA
27N

I did get my application in fairly late last year due to unfortunate circumstances. Do you think that may have been my problem or am I just not a good candidate? Thanks guys!

Ya your MCAT isn't the best as several people stated, but maybe throw an app into your state MD school or the school you attended undergrad....as well as a few other MD schools. Your overall application is competitive for Osteopathic schools. Apply early (primary done by mid july) and you will easily get a few interview invites. Apply even earlier than that if you want, the earlier the better.

What state are you from? Nebraska? Re-apply to those schools

I did apply to 2 MD schools. Creighton and University of Nebraska Medical Center. I am on the alternate list at Creighton as of right now. I got 10 verbal/9 bio/8 phys so none were below an 8 but I know they still aren't great. I have my application finished for this year pretty much. Just waiting on my final grades for this semester. I have only got back my biochemistry grade so far (which I was extremely happy was an A+). I have another question for all you helpful peers. If I am starting a new job and volunteering somewhere starting in June, should I put that on my application even though I haven't started yet? I will have worked/volunteered at those places by the time my application is even verified, so I was just wondering. Thanks again for the help guys.

Just out of curiousity, which DO schools did you apply to last year?

I know this is the old underdog thread, but after much prayer, effort, and luck, another underdog got in this year. I just want to say that even if you are waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP! Still in shock. :)

I know this is the old underdog thread, but after much prayer, effort, and luck, another underdog got in this year. I just want to say that even if you are waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP! Still in shock. :)

AWESOME job man!! Super excited for you :thumbup:

:thumbup: Nice work!