The Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyDr09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through the "what are my chances" thread and seeing a majority of students asking what their chances were with a lowly 3.90Sci GPA and 38T MCAT got me thinking :idea:. I came to this site in hopes of positive reinforcement and I now often leave believing I don't have a chance in the world. I'm hoping we can have a thread for all of us underdogs to help each other out, and STAY POSITIVE.

To all the applicants with ~3.2 sci GPA and ~25 MCAT (or a large variation between the two).
WE CAN DO IT!:luck: Lets fill the thread with some tips, good news, and some positive stories of people who have been there before and gotten in.

DISCLAIMER: We are not looking for pity, or for the advice of take classes / get better MCAT (because we know this advice already, and we are all trying to improve our applications). Don't waste your time.

I will update with any news that you guys want me to put up next to your name (applied, interviewed, accepted)
If anyone wants me to add their info or remove their info, let me know and I will take care of it. Grades listed are now only SCI GPA and highest MCAT score.

7/29/2010 Update: We CAN get in! First acceptanceS of the cycle!!!

8/6/2010 Update: Two major updates to the thread.

1) Throughout the thread we will have comprehensive reviews of Underdog friendly schools as seen by members. Anyone who would like to add a review just post it in the thread and I will link your post at the bottom of this post.

2) Thanks to DrDre2001 we have a rough analysis of gauging your Underdog status.

Formula:
MCAT/2 + sGPA*10 = Applicant Score

(The "sGPA" here is your science GPA)

The average applicant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 25.49 MCAT, 3.25sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 45.25, as per the formula: (25.49/2) + (3.25*10) = 45.25

The average matriculant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 26.19 MCAT, 3.35sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 46.60, as per the formula: (26.19/2) + (3.35*10) = 46.60

8/9/2010 Update: Added a resources section on the bottom of this post with my custom excel spreadsheet (I'm a nerd). Enjoy.

8/31/2010 Update: Plenty of invites pouring in now. Thanks to DbDan we have a spreadsheet ranking everyone in the club in order of their applicant. If you have TBD and have received your score, please let us know so we have the most accurate information possible for everyone else to view.

DbDan Ultimate Underdog Thread Spreadsheet Based on Applicant Score

11/14/2010 Update:

Sorry to all, as I have been slacking off with updating the front page. I have finally updated to today and the results are pretty staggering (to me at least). Currently there are 63 "members" and 14 of them have received an acceptance. I suspect the numbers are higher as there are many people who haven't posted any updates since they asked to join. If you learn one thing from this thread, learn that it IS possible! All the stats and stories are right here. Actually, learn two things, APPLY EARLY! I'll try and update more frequently, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

3/8/2011 Update:

Finally got around to updating the page, looks like we're doing really well so far. Some stats listed below might seem borderline high for "underdogs" but we're nearing the end of the cycle and I thought the more data the better. Some of the stories in the thread are crazy, people with 2.75's going to grad school and leaving with a 3.8 grad gpa. I hope this thread doesn't give a false sense of hope to some, the truth is that there are many people with similar stats that never posted, and sadly were never accepted. This thread is evidence however that it is *possible* to get in with the stats listed below. Remember most of the people below have awesome stories, some serious life experiences, and plenty of EC's which helped their applications tremendously. I guess my advice (not that you wanted it :laugh:) is to avoid being complacent with your stats/EC's. Do everything you can to improve your application, and if you work hard enough for it, you will be accepted. Anyway, CONGRATS! Once again. :thumbup:

(Necessary apply early in the cycle that you feel your app is strong enough comment)

Underdogs

HockeyDr09 [3.0,26] Interview (LECOM-E, Touro-NY) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
gatewasani [3.4, 24] Interview (WVSOM) ACCEPTED-WVSOM
DbDan [3.0, 33] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-NV, KCOM,Western-CA) ACCEPTED-AZCOM
Sinfest [3.19, 27] Interview (TouroCOM-NY, LECOM-E, NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Western-CA, Touro-CA, ATSU-SOMA) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM
shenanigans327 [3.35, 24]
jzrull [3.6,25]
emno [3.6, 23]
cliffhuxtableDO Interview (Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga, PCOM-Philly, Pikeville) ACCEPTED-LMU-DCOM, VCOM, PCOM-Ga
divajazzerina [3.15,TBD]
Spderjhn [3.2, TBD]
DrDre2001 [3.15, 32] Interview (LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM)
MZeep [3.20, 21]
Smmossey [3.73,23]
Turd Ferguson [3.1, 32] Interview (NSU-COM) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM
Razmatazz [3.02,29] Interview (TouroCOM-NY, NSU-COM)
medschl hpeful
artaxerxes627 [3.28, 26]
Turd Furgeson [3.06, TBD]
drctother [3.2, 30] Interview (Touro-NY, PNWU) ACCEPTED-Touro-NY, PNWU
ScarletKnights [3.2, 25]
futuredoc4432 [3.2, 29] Interview (NSU-COM, LECOM-E, LECOM-B) ACCEPTED-NSU-COM, LECOM-E
sedaniel [3.19, 31] Interview (LECOM-B, AZCOM,Touro-NY, UNECOM, RVUCOM, LECOM-E, CCOM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, NSU-COM, Albany) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, RVUCOM, CCOM, AZCOM,MSUCHM
jgraha 16 [3.1, 24] Interview (WCU-COM, LECOM-E)
blueflower [3.1, 23] Interview (RVU-COM, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, WVSOM) ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
aml04143 [2.76,TBD]
SML67 [3.0, 26] Interview (Touro-NY) ACCEPTED-Touro-NY
JamesLMT [3.2, 24] Interview (Touro-NY,LMU-DCOM)
painmd87 [2.8, 28] Interview (LECOM-E, LMU-DCOM, Drexel) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
EgyptianDoc [3.1, 25] Interview (LECOM-E)
Maica [3.52, 20]
looktme [3.12, 31] Interview (Western-Lebanon) ACCEPTED-Western-Lebanon
vmorel1 [3.25, 28] Interview (LMU-DCOM, VCOM-CC) ACCEPTED-LMU-DCOM
amg05 [3.45, 22]
wolverinepwns [3.25, 30] Interview (KCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, KCUMB
TMan1787 [2.8, TBD]
jpgoodie [3.2, 29]
cobe3mat [3.03, TBD]
Artimacia [3.5, 23]
lunchmonkey29 [3.1, TBD]
Dr Yiot [3.2, 23] Interview (LMU-DCOM)
Mr.Patel [3.1, 25] Interview (WVSOM) ACCEPTED-WVSOM
traitorman [3.11, 28] Interview NSU-COM, LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM, UNECOM, AZCOM, LECOM-E, Touro-CA, Touro-NV, Western) ACCEPTED-LECOM-B, Touro-NY, NSU-COM
Ebete [~3.0, 19]
Element [3.05, TBD]
prone2xl [3.7, 17] Interview (WVSOM, PCOM-GA)
ManUnderFire [~3.14, 28]
Premed828 [3.25, 24] Interview (LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Touro-NV) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
b3ardown [3.4, 21] Interview (WVSOM) ACCEPTED-WVSOM
mhami [3.2, 25] Interview (LECOM-E, KCOM, Touro-CA)
TallScrubs [3.10, 27] ACCEPTED-PCOM
Kayaker171 [3.01, 29] Interview (PCOM-GA, NSU-COM)
SLC [2.8, 30] Interview (ATSU-SOMA) ACCEPTED-ATSU-SOMA
IowaDoc07 [3.55, 23] Interview (DMU-COM)
fan786 [3.52,21]
ShareTheLight [3.2, 25]
minitiki [3.17,25]
AntsMarching44 [3.0, 26] Interview (Western-Lebanon)
JokerSeven [3.10, 28] Interview (RVU-COM, CCOM, KCOM, LECOM-B)ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
CrissX [3.47, 24 (5 PS)]Interview (RVU-COM, SOMA, KCOM, VCOM)
axman [2.9, 27]
premedx123 [2.89, 25]
kyvaro [3.3, 24]
IowaGirl22 [2.83,22] Interview (Touro-NV)
Jcurcio [3.7, 23] Interview (LECOM-E) ACCEPTED-LECOM-E
cubs87 [3.3, 25] Interview (VCOM, SIU, Touro-NV, KCUMB) ACCEPTED-VCOM
dlater [3.18, 25] Interview (KCOM, Touro-NV, LECOM-E, KCUMB, Western, St.Louis) ACCEPTED-KCUMB, Touro-NV
MedicineMike [2.97c 3.76sci, 23] ACCEPTED
GainesvilleOwl [3.17, 26] Interview (NSU-COM, LECOM-B)
masscrash [2.9 (Ugrad --> (Grad) 3.7, 23] Interview (Western) ACCEPTED-Western
saychai [3.6, 23] Interview (RVU-COM) ACCEPTED-RVU-COM
swimchick [3.26, 27] Interview (PCOM-GA, UNE-COM, NSU-COM) ACCEPTED-PCOM-GA
Christina [3.75, 21] Interview (Western)
racerwad [2.93 (SMP 3.4), 27] Interview (PNWU) ACCEPTED-PNWU
audralee [3.3, 24] Interview (PCOM-GA, WCU-COM, Pikeville)

The Supporters

bold text
radiodoc99
DitchDoc73
Skippygonenuts
willen101383
Andres Ponce
bonsaipalmtree
mcp5016
mpHWizzKid
Sunny Side Up
singinfifi
mommy2three
Manipulate
Kuba
Beets
DrPrincipessa
lawyerdoc2b
VeeTeeHokies ACCEPTED-NSU-COM
ChemMed
taylormade2006
crazynate
TheUntold ACCEPTED-LECOM-B
docman85

Resources:

Osteopathic Colleges Information Booklet A MUST READ

Matriculant Data Survey

Also added excel file I made to help me keep track of schools, I found it useful. All data is from the CIB. If anyone needs it in .xls instead of .xlsx (excel 2007) let me know and I will throw it up.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Osteopathic Medical Schools Chart Update.xlsx
    15.9 KB · Views: 825
Last edited:
I hear ya,

I think my best chance is to improve my mcat score, i'm planning to re-take in July and am hoping for at least a 27, (thats what i was getting on the aamc's, but messed up the real exam like no other.
Unfortunately, i haven't been able to study too much cause my life has been hectic, and will continue to be hectic for at least the nxt couple of weeks.

I applied to 14 schools, so hopefully schools don't screen and I get some secondaries...

my mindset = my sig; and thats all i can really do.

I understand the low GPA high MCAT thread, or vice versa... but far far below average for both indicators of academic strength... you'll be few and far between to find many posters here.

But I do agree with "Don't Stop Believing" baby above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reading through the "what are my chances" thread and seeing a majority of students asking what their chances were with a lowly 3.90Sci GPA and 38T MCAT got me thinking :idea:. I came to this site in hopes of positive reinforcement and I now often leave believing I don't have a chance in the world. I'm hoping we can have a thread for all of us underdogs to help each other out, and STAY POSITIVE.

To all the applicants with <3.2 sci GPA and < 25 MCAT (roughly, of course).
WE CAN DO IT!:luck: Lets fill the thread with some tips, good news, and some positive stories of people who have been there before and gotten in.

(Edit) - Longshanks has decided to rain on the parade, so anyone with a large variation between MCAT and GPA are welcome in here as well!

Last year I submitted and the verified coursework came out to a sGPA of 2.79, cGPA of 2.80. 33 MCAT saved my application.

Got 2 interviews w/ 2 waitlists, no acceptances but I at least got the opportunity. I didn't feel that my interviews went particularly well either. This year I'm looking much better (still super low) GPA wise and I am applying earlier with a stronger application so hopefully I'll have a success story for you!

If you have below a 3.2, have above a 30 on the MCAT. If you have below a 25 on the MCAT, have a 3.9 from a top Undergrad. There really isn't any reason to have low stats and "hope." It's just too competitive, and really no matter how many anecdotal studies or skewed averages you see ... I really, really don't suggest moving forward with a 3.2, 25.

Last edited:
I like!

Im sick of hearing people say "what are my chances with a 3.9 and 30+ MCAT". I feel like they either A)want their insecure egos stroked or B) are lazy and havent looked into medical school (these are the people lets hope dont get in)

I do agree that it should be one or the other though

If you have below a 3.2, have above a 30 on the MCAT. If you have below a 25 on the MCAT, have a 3.9 from a top Undergrad. There really isn't any reason to have low stats and "hope." It's just too competitive, and there's really no matter how many anecdotal studies or skewed averages you see ... I really, really don't suggest moving forward with a 3.2, 25.

This is pretty much the attitude I have been seeing throughout the boards. Although my GPA is there my MCAT is a 27. To be honest I have already contacting schools regarding this and all you're doing is spreading misinformation to pre-meds with comments like that. For M.D you are 100% correct, but for D.O its more than just about your grades. If you have 3.2 with a 29 MCAT (your comment said 3.2 above 30) you have a strong chance at D.O schools if you're well rounded and driven. Take a look at the whole picture. When I said hope, I should have said something along the lines of be proactive. It's alright though, you can continue your negativity if you must.

I hereby submit my formal request for membership in this club. Can I be a founding father?

Last edited:
This is pretty much the attitude I have been seeing throughout the boards. Although my GPA is there my MCAT is a 27. To be honest I have already contacting schools regarding this and all you're doing is spreading misinformation to pre-meds with comments like that. For M.D you are 100% correct, but for D.O its more than just about your grades. If you have 3.2 with a 29 MCAT (your comment said 3.2 above 30) you have a strong chance at D.O schools if you're well rounded and driven. Take a look at the whole picture. When I said hope, I should have said something along the lines of be proactive. It's alright though, you can continue your negativity if you must.

He's really not spreading false information. He's being honest.

Don't pretend that for DO its "more than just grades", its more than just grades for all of them. All schools says this and post this in their information, whether its true or it though it most likely is true since there are far too many qualified candidates for it to be solely on numbers. Numbers help open the door for you, and applicants are better off holding off on their application to improve their competitiveness rather than use their money applying multiple times. Some of us that are posting this information to you are using our own experience, and that of others. If you want to dismiss it, you have every right to, but its important for applicants to be honest with themselves. Optimism and confidence is important, this is a very difficult process and even people with amazing numbers get rejected each year, but be focused and make your application as strong as possible.

He's really not spreading false information. He's being honest.

Don't pretend that for DO its "more than just grades", its more than just grades for all of them. All schools says this and post this in their information, whether its true or it though it most likely is true since there are far too many qualified candidates for it to be solely on numbers. Numbers help open the door for you, and applicants are better off holding off on their application to improve their competitiveness rather than use their money applying multiple times. Some of us that are posting this information to you are using our own experience, and that of others. If you want to dismiss it, you have every right to, but its important for applicants to be honest with themselves. Optimism and confidence is important, this is a very difficult process and even people with amazing numbers get rejected each year, but be focused and make your application as strong as possible.

First off, my point was in regards to the fact that the cutoffs are higher for M.D schools in comparison to D.O. These "numbers help open the door for you" are easier to attain for D.O schools and they tend to seek well rounded individuals after that. Secondly, people coming into this thread (such as yourself) are kidding themselves if they think we don't know that we don't have best chances. WE KNOW ALREADY! This thread was not designed to have people come in an say "haha you have a low gpa or mcat good luck with that, in my opinion i'd hold off for awhile lulz". We are well aware of where we stand, and what we have to overcome and that we MUST strengthen our applications. I just wanted to speak with some other people in my situation, and hopefully hear some positive stories out of it. Give it up with the we shouldn't waste our time or money nonsense already, we've heard it a thousand times.

Listen, I'm a long shot as well. I'm not here to make fun of anyone, I'm sincerely trying to be helpful. It's true, people get in every year with these stats. That's fine, but don't let that be the only thing you're counting on.

Personally, I had to do a lot to try to improve my application for this year. Hopefully people in this thread are successful. Just as advice, keep working towards improving your application. There's no point in stopping now just because you decided you're going to apply. For what it's worth, try to have thicker skin, this process is difficult for all of us - no need to get so worked up over an internet thread.

Am I in?

Don't let these naysayers tarnish the beginnings of our club, even the United States faced opposition in its founding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I in?

Don't let these naysayers tarnish the beginnings of our club, even the United States faced opposition in its founding.

I say yes, just as long as I can be a founding father too :D

If you have below a 3.2, have above a 30 on the MCAT. If you have below a 25 on the MCAT, have a 3.9 from a top Undergrad. There really isn't any reason to have low stats and "hope." It's just too competitive, and there's really no matter how many anecdotal studies or skewed averages you see ... I really, really don't suggest moving forward with a 3.2, 25.

I know its a sample of 1, but I know it can be done and you can get four acceptances out of four interviews as well. I don't recommend it though with the application pool only getting more and more competitive.

I'm not trying to be negative or anything else, and if you haven't applied yet ... I really don't know why you're arguing with me, but I'm simply trying to be realistic. Medical school is very hard to get into (for good reason), and you're right ... it's "more than just numbers," but the numbers are very important and in MANY cases all the ECs in the world aren't going to let you escape that 25 MCAT.

If you want to live in a bubble and make me out to be the bad guy ... that's fine. However, no one is going to be there to hold you hand and pat you on the back during med school, residency, practice, etc. It's rough, it's hard, and no one is going to pad the truth or be "proactive" instead of negative.

Also, this isn't negative ... I'm really, really biting my tongue tbh.

I say yes, just as long as I can be a founding father too :D

Since the OP is nowhere to be found, it is with the utmost pleasure that I hereby honorarily admit you as the newest member (including me) of the Underdog Club :D.

We need nicknames for each other.

Well if you want maybe just a small bit of comfort then this year will be the year of the underdogs if there ever is one at all. I don't think there are going to be anywhere near as many applications as in years past and people who do apply will be applying to less schools due to Chairman Maobama ruining the healthcare system and the economy.

Well if you want maybe just a small bit of comfort then this year will be the year of the underdogs if there ever is one at all. I don't think there are going to be anywhere near as many applications as in years past and people who do apply will be applying to less schools due to Chairman Maobama ruining the healthcare system and the economy.
Honestly man it's great that you have strong opinions on the matter but can you keep the politics in threads about politics? If I wanted political debate I would go to a political forum. I am here for premed stuff not this offensive tripe.

Honestly man it's great that you have strong opinions on the matter but can you keep the politics in threads about politics? If I wanted political debate I would go to a political forum. I am here for premed stuff not this offensive tripe.

If your so offended then ignore my political remarks and take from it whatever you'd like good sir! I'll try and damper it a little bit by throwing in some stuff about how I think Sarah Palin is a hag and how I despise republicans too :smuggrin:

You will DO it. On interview day emphasize that one exam should not stand in between you (a great DO) and treating thousands of patients. Right now just do everything you can to show the school you want to come there by meeting them.

Why in the world would a person not apply to schools with MCAT averages around 25 or 26 with a 25 MCAT score? It seems that it would be a waste of a year to wait if you apply smartly to schools where you have a reasonable chance of getting in.

Why in the world would a person not apply to schools with MCAT averages around 25 or 26 with a 25 MCAT score? It seems that it would be a waste of a year to wait if you apply smartly to schools where you have a reasonable chance of getting in.
I think this thread had originally intended to focus on students with <3.2GPA AND <25 MCAT which are what a lot of people are focusing on. If you have a 25 MCAT with a 3.6 or higher GPA (heavy emphasis on the sGPA), then there's no reason to not apply.. as long as you apply early. With below average stats in one or the other, applying early is absolutely your best bet.

Last edited:
If you have below a 3.2, have above a 30 on the MCAT. If you have below a 25 on the MCAT, have a 3.9 from a top Undergrad. There really isn't any reason to have low stats and "hope." It's just too competitive, and really no matter how many anecdotal studies or skewed averages you see ... I really, really don't suggest moving forward with a 3.2, 25.

Sorry, Jagger, you most of the time are giving wonderful and insightful advice, but here you are just plain wrong. I have a 3.3 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa, and am hoping for a 25+ MCAT.

I have visited two schools, who both did not seem at all concerned with those gpas and both said that as long as I make 25+ to call them or email them when my app was complete to see about getting an interview setup.

So, maybe because I have taken iniative and visited the schools and actually sat down with the Vice-Pres. for Academic Affairs at both schools, it helps, but to say that you would not move forward is just bad advice.

I would just suggest to people in that situation to be persistent and that if you do well talking with people to visit the schools you want to attend.

I'm not trying to be negative or anything else, and if you haven't applied yet ... I really don't know why you're arguing with me, but I'm simply trying to be realistic. Medical school is very hard to get into (for good reason), and you're right ... it's "more than just numbers," but the numbers are very important and in MANY cases all the ECs in the world aren't going to let you escape that 25 MCAT.

If you want to live in a bubble and make me out to be the bad guy ... that's fine. However, no one is going to be there to hold you hand and pat you on the back during med school, residency, practice, etc. It's rough, it's hard, and no one is going to pad the truth or be "proactive" instead of negative.

Also, this isn't negative ... I'm really, really biting my tongue tbh.

A. I applied on June 1st
B. I don't have a 25 MCAT I have a 27 and i'm taking it again in July. If you had actually read any of my posts you would have seen this.
C. Why even bother coming into this thread? You're not losing any money or wasting your time as others have so aptly pointed out we are. You're not contributing anything constructive at all.
D. Do us all a favor and continue the tongue biting please, we'll all be happier in the end.
I love how a thread started to boost moral turns into a few people blasting peoples chances. Good work.

Megathunder
Sinfest
shenanigins

Founding members, let's keep updated with any good news.

We've got to remember that these numbers are relatively arbitrary after a certain point. We've all heard of the stories of the girl getting into Yale with a 27 or a the guy not getting into Umich with a 40/3.9. As much fun as it is to compare numbers, we have to look at our apps as a whole.

Remember, they're averages! Averages can have huge ranges. I know this cycle year is going to be more competitive than last year...It seems to be the natural progression. But we can't let one low number in a sea of high scores get us down. Also remember the clientele these forums host. It's but a fraction of the entire applicant pool.

With that being said, 25S/3.6c. :)

We'll all do fine. And party once we're in.

I think this thread had originally intended to focus on students with <3.2GPA AND <25 MCAT which are what a lot of people are focusing on. If you have a 25 MCAT with a 3.6 or higher GPA (heavy emphasis on the sGPA), then there's no reason to not apply.. as long as you apply early. With below average stats in one or the other, applying early is absolutely your best bet.

I was under the impression from a few posters that anyone with a score not higher than 25 shouldn't bother applying without a stellar GPA. These statements (while I understand not the intent of the thread) seem to belie the admissions statistics for many D.O. schools. Someone with a 25 MCAT and, say, 3.5 GPA would seem to be competitive at many D.O. schools if the rest of the application is in good order.

Last edited:
I may be the exception to the rule but..here goes nothing...

cGPA = 3.22
sGPA = 3.18

I took my MCAT in Jan 2009 and scored a 23 (horrible, I know)...

I could have done better, and was doing better on practices, but panic got the best of me. So I was planning on retaking but some circumstances didn't allow me.

Wasn't going to apply after reading everybody's comments on here and was gonna wait until the next cycle to apply after retaking my MCAT. In the meantime, did shadowing, volunteering, and a million and 1 stuff to buff up my application in ECs.

One day my girlfriend told me to apply, what have i got to lose, if i get in, i'm in...if not i try again next year anyway...made sense..so i Applied to 25 DO schools and sat and got one rejection letter after another (of course after they milked me for secondary app fees). Submitted Primary in January...application got verified and released by February.

Until finally, one school sent me an invite for interview..I was ecstatic and made sure to show them my best. Unfortunately the interview was in mid-march and the seats had already been filled with the school. But read encouraging threads about how if you got to the interview, your equal with everyone else there whether they got a 45 on the mcat and you only got a 20, so on and so forth.

Long story short...they loved me..interview went amazing. Seats were full already. However I got placed on the accepted waitlist (which means i'm accepted as soon as a seat opens).

and now i'm sitting holding my breath everyday for a seat to open..I'll let you know if this story has a happy ending..

So yeah, who knows...I may be the exception to the rule..

MCAT= 23
cGPA = 3.2
sGPA = 3.18

Good luck Skippy!

Just imagine if you would have applied early...

I tell myself that everyday....I now wonder if i reapply early with the same stats, without retaking mcat, if i would have similar chances...

everything is a gamble...its a dirty game

It is June 10th today, if you have a sub 25 MCAT there is no reason not to retake especially if you have ~3.2 cGPA.

Should rename the thread "Those who shoot ourselves in the foot thread".

Now if you had these stats and it was Oct or Nov (or in skippy's case Jan) I think this thread would be more appropriate. As it is there is plenty of time for a retake.

To all the applicants with <3.2 sci GPA and < 25 MCAT (roughly, of course).

(Edit) - Longshanks has decided to rain on the parade, so anyone with a large variation between MCAT and GPA are welcome in here as well!

<25 MCAT and a 27 MCAT aren't "roughly" the same, imo.

I also hereby submit my formal request for membership in this club - 3.6 GPA, 23Q.

Emno,
How many times have you taken the MCAT?

I took last July and made a 23. I have taken again on May 22, 2010 and I am really confused if I did better. Not sure if I will make more than 23 this time. It is scary.

thanks for asking.

Hey now can't leave me out of the underdog club. Although my stats are seemingly more unbalanced than most. I'm giving it another shot this year, much earlier, have my spring final in about 6hrs and then as soon as grades are in I should get verified. Have most of my secondaries already done and I'm just working on paying down my credit card (car broke down + primaries took its toll) to have enough space to submit them the day I receive them.

Goal is an acceptance before December this year so I can stop taking courses after fall and focus on working and enjoying my freedom before starting. I'm pretty sure waiting on these 2 waitlists since January has taken at least a couple of years off my life.

That said. In for underdog club.

Wow. What parade did I rain on? Take a moment to comprehend what you read rather than attack people. I started off by saying that even though there won't be many posters with the original numbers you posted, that there's no reason to stop believing. I then gave the advice that if one has the opportunity or time to, they should probably focus on making their application as strong as possible (it should be implied that means either retaking classes, taking a few more classes, retaking the mcat, or getting more involved in the community.. whatever your weak spot may be, strengthen it). I then said if one already applied or feels they are ready to, then there shouldn't be anything holding them back to keep improving (its good for the individual, and also what if God forbid it takes two cycles, like many posters on this site before?).

You can be as overly defensive and hostile as you want. I came here with no malicious intent, but you perceived it as that. I understand you're new here, so you don't know me, but I'm certain many posters can attest that even though I may be sarcastic sometimes I've been nothing but supportive of other members and have tried to return the favor others have given to me, whether that is giving advice, simply listening, or helping out in the mcat forum when I get the chance.

As I said before, I hope people in this thread get accepted, so good luck.

Jagger is right to an extent. You have to strive for the best numbers you can because it is insanely competitive. On the other hand, people get into med school every year with lower than average statistics, but this is a small group of people. Every applicant is different so you can't just compare numbers to numbers. If you have the chance to retake and try to improve, do it.

Don't know if it gives anyone more hope, but I had a 3.54 cumGPA, a 3.39 science, and a 24Q MCAT. I had 3 acceptances, 1 high waitlist, 5 interviews...decided not to go to one (out of 8 schools I applied to). So clearly, you don't need to have a 3.9GPA if you have under a 25 MCAT (unless you are applying to MD). However, one of my acceptances was In state for me, which i'm sure helped. I also had a lot of clinical experience and great recommendations. and I signed up to retake the MCAT, which I definitely suggest, but I had a family member fall ill with cancer and I helped him until he died in August (didn't leave a lot of time or focus for studying). No one even asked why my MCAT was low.

Definitely be prepared to explain why your MCAT was 25 or below in an interview (especially if it is uneven)...I was surprised it wasn't brought up in mine. If you get an interview early, ace it, and the majority of the time your in.

Wow. What parade did I rain on? Take a moment to comprehend what you read rather than attack people. I started off by saying that even though there won't be many posters with the original numbers you posted, that there's no reason to stop believing. I then gave the advice that if one has the opportunity or time to, they should probably focus on making their application as strong as possible (it should be implied that means either retaking classes, taking a few more classes, retaking the mcat, or getting more involved in the community.. whatever your weak spot may be, strengthen it). I then said if one already applied or feels they are ready to, then there shouldn't be anything holding them back.

You can be as overly defensive and hostile as you want. I came here with no malicious intent, but you perceived it as that. I understand you're new here, so you don't know me, but I'm certain many posters can attest that even though I may be sarcastic sometimes I've been nothing but supportive of other members and have tried to return the favor others have given to me, whether that is giving advice, simply listening, or helping out in the mcat forum when I get the chance.

As I said before, I hope people in this thread get accepted, so good luck.

I was only kidding with the rain on the parade update. My apologies if I offended you. I know your intent is not malicious.

why dont the member of this club start sharing their gpa and mcat
3.6 GPA/23 MCAT.

If people want, I can post their usernames up at the top and as the year progresses, update with hopefully interview/acceptances.

GPA 3.15 MCAT 27

i'm in this club, too. i'll hold off on posting my stats though.

If people want, I can post their usernames up at the top and as the year progresses, update with hopefully interview/acceptances.

GPA 3.15 MCAT 27
This is a good idea.

Sorry, Jagger, you most of the time are giving wonderful and insightful advice, but here you are just plain wrong. I have a 3.3 cgpa and 3.2 sgpa, and am hoping for a 25+ MCAT.

I have visited two schools, who both did not seem at all concerned with those gpas and both said that as long as I make 25+ to call them or email them when my app was complete to see about getting an interview setup.

So, maybe because I have taken iniative and visited the schools and actually sat down with the Vice-Pres. for Academic Affairs at both schools, it helps, but to say that you would not move forward is just bad advice.

I would just suggest to people in that situation to be persistent and that if you do well talking with people to visit the schools you want to attend.

Oh wait, so these schools told you they would happily take your secondary fee??? Shocking.

Honestly, unless you've applied ... I don't know why people are even arguing with me and if you're dead set on applying - go for it. All I'm saying is that you can argue with me until you're blue in the face, but I see no reason to move forward with a 3.2/25. You may get in, your brother's best friend's cousin may have gotten in with a 21 MCAT, and you may be able to swim a mile with bricks on your feet ... but if you don't HAVE to, I don't recommend it. You're going to be much, much better off upping the stats a little bit and pushing forward ONCE with the best application possible.

i'm in this club, too. i'll hold off on posting my stats though.

Just curious, why would not share your stats.
You dont ahve to reply. But as we all are using the dummy names, it shoudl not matter.

Oh wait, so these schools told you they would happily take your secondary fee??? Shocking.

Honestly, unless you've applied ... I don't know why people are even arguing with me and if you're dead set on applying - go for it. All I'm saying is that you can argue with me until you're blue in the face, but I see no reason to move forward with a 3.2/25. You may get in, your brother's best friend's cousin may have gotten in with a 21 MCAT, and you may be able to swim a mile with bricks on your feet ... but if you don't HAVE to, I don't recommend it. You're going to be much, much better off upping the stats a little bit and pushing forward ONCE with the best application possible.

I tried hard to do beter in my 2nd MCAT (result awaited) not not sure if would do beter than 23. I burnt out in my studies.
It means I or people with my stats should just not try.
with 23 MCAt score, I got a call from one do school last year for interview, which I declined it as I wanted to give one more try for my MCAT.