The University of Iowa or UNLV???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalst2012

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both the University of Iowa and UNLV and I am wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on which to choose. UI is an older and more established school (125 years) and UNLV is fairly new (5-6 years). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

If it was up to me and I had to choose between Iowa and UNLV, I would choose Iowa hands down....

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't rush straight to choosing Iowa. Though I may be biased because I've chosen UNLV I think there are some advantages/disadvantages to compare. Here's a good comparison list:

Facilities: Iowa (OLD), UNLV (really new)
Weather: Iowa (snow), UNLV (heat)
Tuition: No big difference
Cirriculum: Iowa (textbooks), UNLV (laptop)
Location: Iowa (???), UNLV (in Vegas obviously + a couple hours to CA)

So yeah, I'm a little biased but UNLV seems like it would be a lot more exciting for ya to me. Chose the one that you felt the most comfortable at. If UNLV still seems a bit out of sorts because of their newness then definitely go to the tried and true Iowa. Good luck!

BTW, when did you interview at UNLV? You from CA? I thought there was somebody from my interview group who was accepted at Iowa.

I interviewed at Iowa this year and I thought their facilities were awesome! So much space for 80 students per class! Cost of living in Iowa City is extremely cheap as well. They have every specialty and they have very active student research going on if you are interested. I would pick Iowa, but I am from Minnesota, so I may be a little biased as well.

I interviewed at both school and was honestly much more impressed by UNLV. I agree with what studmufin27 put down about the advantages/disadvantages. If you have enough desire, you will be able to do research at either school (if thats what you're into). I felt that Iowa spent more time talking about how good their research program is than how good their clinical education is. Personally, I'm going to dental school to be a good clinician, not a good researcher. I think they are both good schools, but I would choose UNLV in a heartbeat.

I interviewed in Iowa too. I think it's a great school. Like you mentioned, it's inexpensive to live there. The school has all the specialties, good clinical facilities, good reputation, etc. Yet, I think it comes down to what is best for you. What state are you from? I'm only asking because if UNLV is closer and that's a concern of yours. UNLV would be a better choice. I would also look at the cost, curriculum, city, and so on. I wish you the best. Good luck.:hardy:

If everything is equal in your opinion i would go with the cheapest one. You will be thanking yourself in four years. You can ask any dentist 3 or 4 years out of dental school and they'll tell you the same thing. The lower you student loan repayments are every month the faster you can buy your own practice and start being your own boss and getting a bigger chunk of that production money.

Iowa has an awesome reputation.. it seems that no matter what it is (Medical, Podiatry, etc) they are always ranked high. I'm sure if they ranked dental schools Iowa would be up there as well. Plus, corn rocks!!

I have been accepted to both the University of Iowa and UNLV and I am wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on which to choose. UI is an older and more established school (125 years) and UNLV is fairly new (5-6 years). Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Curious. Have you decided where to attend?

Iowa has an awesome reputation.. it seems that no matter what it is (Medical, Podiatry, etc) they are always ranked high. I'm sure if they ranked dental schools Iowa would be up there as well. Plus, corn rocks!!

Corn does rock! I agree that if they're both good and you can't decide between the two, pick the one with cheaper tuition.

Do you want to go to a more established school where the curriculum is proven or to a newer school where the curriculum might be a work in progress? Facilities are a minor issue if you look at the overall picture unless there are serious deficiencies, which I doubt to be the case.