THE WAMC thread (what are my chances?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I'm applying for Fall 2011 and I *should* have a BS in biology by then.

a. Schools I'm applying to in order of preference:
Iowa
Washington
UGA
Buffalo
Kansas
Texas Tech
Cincinatti

b. Overall GPA: 3.36
c. Math GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.03
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.56
e. PCAT Score: 86 (I didn't really study the first time I took it, I plan to retake it in June).
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Not much. I hope to volunteer during the summer in a retail pharmacy.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary)
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from my genetics professor, 1 from my statistics professor. I hope to get another from my Biology advisor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I helped build a house for Habitat for Humanity during my senior year in highschool.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I'm probably a below average interviewee. I'm a bit socially awkward and I'm not one who likes to go into great detail about anything.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm pretty confident about my statement.

I already interviewed and was rejected from UGA and Mercer (the only two I applied to) during the 2010 school year. I definitely learned my lesson that I needed to apply to more schools. Anyway, I have a feeling that my lack of pharmacy experience and possibly my interview were what dragged me down. What I want to specifically know is how much do the colleges I applied for look at pharmacy experience? Also, my science GPA is kinda low (I blame Georgia Tech), but I would like to know which of the colleges I wish to apply to looks at that specifically?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, I'm applying for Fall 2011 and I *should* have a BS in biology by then.

a. Schools I'm applying to in order of preference:
Iowa
Washington
UGA
Buffalo
Kansas
Texas Tech
Cincinatti

b. Overall GPA: 3.36
c. Math GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.03
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.56
e. PCAT Score: 86 (I didn't really study the first time I took it, I plan to retake it in June).
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Not much. I hope to volunteer during the summer in a retail pharmacy.
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from my genetics professor, 1 from my statistics professor. I hope to get another from my Biology advisor.
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I helped build a house for Habitat for Humanity during my senior year in highschool.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I'm probably a below average interviewee. I'm a bit socially awkward and I'm not one who likes to go into great detail about anything.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I'm pretty confident about my statement.

I already interviewed and was rejected from UGA and Mercer (the only two I applied to) during the 2010 school year. I definitely learned my lesson that I needed to apply to more schools. Anyway, I have a feeling that my lack of pharmacy experience and possibly my interview were what dragged me down. What I want to specifically know is how much do the colleges I applied for look at pharmacy experience? Also, my science GPA is kinda low (I blame Georgia Tech), but I would like to know which of the colleges I wish to apply to looks at that specifically?

The BEST thing to do at this point, given that you already applied and interviewed, is to contact those schools and ask them to go over with you what you could improve upon or the specifics on why did you get rejected. You're getting valuable information straight from the source. Then you can spend the summer working on those weak points in your application. You already said it might be your low sci gpa and/or your interview skills, but it's best to double check.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a long way to go before applying, but want honest feedback. I have an engineering degree from 4-year Univ. and have been working full time for 4 years. I want to switch careers and become a pharmacist. My undergrad grades are poor because I was naive, struggled with upper level engineering courses, and GPA didn't matter for engineering.

If I can get A's and B's in the rest of my prereqs, get my pharm tech. certificate and work experience, and do well on PCAT - do I stand a chance? I'd hate to waste time/money taking 5 prereqs while working full-time for nothing. I hope to apply for Fall 2011 or 2012.

a. Schools I'm applying to in order of preference: MCPHS Worcester, Northeastern

b. Overall GPA: 2.968 (B.S. in CE)

c. Math/Science GPA
These are my math/science courses from freshman/sophomore year:
Calculus 1: A
Calculus 2: B-
Calculus 3: B
Differential Equations: C-
General Chemistry 1: A
General Chemistry 2: B
Physics 1: B (A in lab)
Physics 2: C (B+ in lab)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
I need these prereqs:
Microbiology (spring 2010 at CC, should get an A)
Organic Chem I & II (summer 2010 at 4 year Univ.)
Biology I & II or Anatomy & Physiology I & II (fall 2010 & spring 2010 at CC)

I'd prefer to take them all at a 4 year University, but it's hard to find these courses in the evening.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

I have a long way to go before applying, but want honest feedback. I have an engineering degree from 4-year Univ. and have been working full time for 4 years. I want to switch careers and become a pharmacist. My undergrad grades are poor because I was naive, struggled with upper level engineering courses, and GPA didn't matter for engineering.

If I can get A's and B's in the rest of my prereqs, get my pharm tech. certificate and work experience, and do well on PCAT - do I stand a chance? I'd hate to waste time/money taking 5 prereqs while working full-time for nothing. I hope to apply for Fall 2011 or 2012.

a. Schools I'm applying to in order of preference: MCPHS Worcester, Northeastern

b. Overall GPA: 2.968 (B.S. in CE)

c. Math/Science GPA
These are my math/science courses from freshman/sophomore year:
Calculus 1: A
Calculus 2: B-
Calculus 3: B
Differential Equations: C-
General Chemistry 1: A
General Chemistry 2: B
Physics 1: B (A in lab)
Physics 2: C (B+ in lab)

d. GPA in last one or two school years
I need these prereqs:
Microbiology (spring 2010 at CC, should get an A)
Organic Chem I & II (summer 2010 at 4 year Univ.)
Biology I & II or Anatomy & Physiology I & II (fall 2010 & spring 2010 at CC)

I'd prefer to take them all at a 4 year University, but it's hard to find these courses in the evening.

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

You definitely have a shot if you can get A's in your bio and chem classes, although a B in Ochem isn't necessarily bad, either. The main thing is to get some experience in pharmacy by either being a tech or doing some volunteer work. You should do some volunteer work anyway, although it seems your summer is going to be quite busy. If you can find something that you can do maybe twice a month, I think every little bit helps. As for Worcester this cycle, honestly, I don't think you have much of a shot there...their minimum GPA requirement is a 3.0 and they are a rolling admissions school. So if you apply this cycle, you will barely meet their minimum requirements after your summer classes. Also, they tend to favor applicants who have a lot of pharmacy experience which you are lacking. I don't know much about Northeastern. If I were you, I would cast a wider net. There are many great schools on the East Coast that you might want to consider. But, since you are willing to try this cycle and next, do the best you can to get as much experience as possible. If you don't get in this year, you will have a better chance next year because of your upward trend in grades and (hopefully) more experience in pharmacy/volunteer work.

Hello guys,

I am a Canadian student and have completed two years of my undergrad already. However, I have not taken all the prerequistes required for American schools. I did apply to the University of Toronto (which asks only for one year of undergrad+PCAT to be considered but didn't get in). Hence, I was contemplating between taking those prerequisites and applying or completely switching fields to like business or something. The reason for my unconfidence can be seen in my stats below:

b. Overall GPA: 3.3
c. Math GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.33,
Math/Science (combined): 3.26
d. GPA in last one or two school years: haven't received all my marks but it may drop below 3.3

e. PCAT Score: -taken in Jan 09
Math: 61
Chemistry: 68
Biology: 84
Reading: 3
Verbal: 23
Composite: 39
Writing: 3/3

I am planning on re-taking the PCAT this summer, hopefully with a lot more practice and better study guides.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None. But I was planning on starting to volunteer this summer.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): haven't applied yet.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I dont have any. Potential sources: I am not close to any of my professors who would actually write me a nice one. I can get an okay one from a religious organization president (I was the youth representative for that organization when I was 15 and did a lot of work) OR my high school counsellor who wrote me a nice one after high school.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have not been involved in anything for the past two years because I have just been focusing on achieving good grades. I was however involved quite a bit throughout highchool (since I was 14). I was wondering if this would be of ANY value at all. Since I have not been involved in volunteering or extracurricular activites over the past two years, I was planning on lying about being involved in few or coming up with a "reasonable explanation" as to why I was not. I don't feel good about doing it but am VERY desperate because it looks VERY bad.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I would say good overall. The reason I have done well in interviews in the past is because I have actually done the work presented on my resume so it wasn't hard coming up with examples and impressing them. But the fact that I am planning on lying may trap me.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I have never written one.

I really really wish there is some hope for me left. I don't mind going to any school.
PLEASE PLEASE be honest in your opinion about EVERYTHING. And if you have school suggestions to make, please do so.
I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

I am a Canadian student and have completed two years of my undergrad already. However, I have not taken all the prerequistes required for American schools. I did apply to the University of Toronto (which asks only for one year of undergrad+PCAT to be considered but didn't get in). Hence, I was contemplating between taking those prerequisites and applying or completely switching fields to like business or something. The reason for my unconfidence can be seen in my stats below:

d. GPA in last one or two school years: haven't received all my marks but it may drop below 3.3

I am planning on re-taking the PCAT this summer, hopefully with a lot more practice and better study guides.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained: None. But I was planning on starting to volunteer this summer.

g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): haven't applied yet.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I dont have any. Potential sources: I am not close to any of my professors who would actually write me a nice one. I can get an okay one from a religious organization president (I was the youth representative for that organization when I was 15 and did a lot of work) OR my high school counsellor who wrote me a nice one after high school.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I have not been involved in anything for the past two years because I have just been focusing on achieving good grades. I was however involved quite a bit throughout highchool (since I was 14). I was wondering if this would be of ANY value at all. Since I have not been involved in volunteering or extracurricular activites over the past two years, I was planning on lying about being involved in few or coming up with a "reasonable explanation" as to why I was not. I don't feel good about doing it but am VERY desperate because it looks VERY bad.

j. Self-perception of interview skills: I would say good overall. The reason I have done well in interviews in the past is because I have actually done the work presented on my resume so it wasn't hard coming up with examples and impressing them. But the fact that I am planning on lying may trap me.

I really really wish there is some hope for me left. I don't mind going to any school.
PLEASE PLEASE be honest in your opinion about EVERYTHING. And if you have school suggestions to make, please do so.
I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Why didn't you apply to Waterloo, or did you?

i don't have all the prerequisites for U of W and plus like ive mentioned i dont have any extracurricular. What would your advice be to me?

Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I would gladly share my own experience and opinion with you! First of all, it all depends on which places you want to apply next year. If you only want to stay in ontario, then I would definitely apply to both UofT and UW. For that, you have to make sure that you take all prerequisites for both UofT and UW next year. Also note that UofT might be changing to the PharmD program and they will add more prerequisites if this happens. And while you're taking those prerequisites next year, maybe try to boost that GPA closer to 3.5 to be a little more competitive.
If I were you, I would invest my summer to study very well for the PCAT. And take the PCAT sometime in summer. If the results were good (i.e. 80+) then you're good to apply in Sept. If your PCAT was low, then there is NOTHING wrong with taking it multiple times, since UofT only takes your best PCAT so you don't need to be afraid of taking it multiple times if you need too. And don't think that it's impossible to improve your PCAT... it is totally possible to improve as many people have improved considerably!
Also, try to get a volunteer position in a pharmacy... this would probably help a lot for your Waterloo admission. Be nice to your pharmacist so he/she would be willing to write your reference letter for Waterloo (since they do want a pharmacist to be your referee.) Also, you can see first hand what the occupation is like which is extremely important.

Lastly, I don't know exactly which courses you've taken so far, but if you have first year english and physics you can apply to almost all Canadian pharmacy schools, although chances of getting accepted in your own province is much much higher.

I'm not sure if my info helped you at all, but if you really want to get into pharmacy, be passionate about it and try your best! Best of luck :)

p.s. feel free to pm me if you had any other questions that you think i can answer.

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert by any means, but I would gladly share my own experience and opinion with you! First of all, it all depends on which places you want to apply next year. If you only want to stay in ontario, then I would definitely apply to both UofT and UW. For that, you have to make sure that you take all prerequisites for both UofT and UW next year. Also note that UofT might be changing to the PharmD program and they will add more prerequisites if this happens. And while you're taking those prerequisites next year, maybe try to boost that GPA closer to 3.5 to be a little more competitive.
If I were you, I would invest my summer to study very well for the PCAT. And take the PCAT sometime in summer. If the results were good (i.e. 80+) then you're good to apply in Sept. If your PCAT was low, then there is NOTHING wrong with taking it multiple times, since UofT only takes your best PCAT so you don't need to be afraid of taking it multiple times if you need too. And don't think that it's impossible to improve your PCAT... it is totally possible to improve as many people have improved considerably!
Also, try to get a volunteer position in a pharmacy... this would probably help a lot for your Waterloo admission. Be nice to your pharmacist so he/she would be willing to write your reference letter for Waterloo (since they do want a pharmacist to be your referee.) Also, you can see first hand what the occupation is like which is extremely important.

Lastly, I don't know exactly which courses you've taken so far, but if you have first year english and physics you can apply to almost all Canadian pharmacy schools, although chances of getting accepted in your own province is much much higher.

I'm not sure if my info helped you at all, but if you really want to get into pharmacy, be passionate about it and try your best! Best of luck :)

p.s. feel free to pm me if you had any other questions that you think i can answer.

aww thnks for the advice! sure ill pm you if i have any more questions

So I got a response from a fellow Canadian about my situation. I would really appreciate hearing a few American voices about my situation. My stats are re-posted below. Thank you in advance

Hello guys,

I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

a. Schools you are applying to: Temple, Thomas Jefferson, LECOM, Rutgers
b. Overall GPA: 3.40
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.15
d. GPA in last one or two school years: same as above
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 73 composite, 82 verbal, 71 bio, 48 reading comp, 55 quant, 81 chem
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2.5 years as a retail pharm tech
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to submit july-august 2010 for 2011 admission

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 (committee, math teacher, pharmacist, another sci or academic advisor)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Undergrad student rep for potential students, habitat for humanity
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Ok, might be taken aback by a weird question but would be able to answer
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: good

a. Schools you are applying to: (Might look into others, but there are the ones I really want to go to in order) UW, OSU, WSU, Mercer
b. Overall GPA: 3.60
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.35
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 90 composite, 98 verbal, 84 bio, 93 reading comp, 91 quant, 81 chem
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 40 volunteer hours
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to submit August - Sep 2010 for 2011 admission

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 (Env Sci teacher, Military Commander, Volunteer coordinator)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 100 hours hospice, 100 hours hospital volunteer, working as Certified Nursing Assistant
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Pretty good, Im used to public speaking and interview-like situations.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: great

A little background,
I was going to school a few years ago working toward biochem, my grades (3.7 overall) were decent, except my last semester (2nd semester junior year), when some stuff was going on where I was, essentially, going to have to take a break from school--my gpa that last semester was a 2.9 with a a C in P.Chem Lab, and Research Techniques...oops.
I joined the military and finished out my last year via UMUC as an environmental science major, where my GPA has been 3.7ish. How bad is that one semester going to haunt me? Also, I feel like my composite is mostly due to my verbal score, should I worry about the lower, by comparison, science scores? Also, is my relative lack of pharmacy experience going to hurt?

Members don't see this ad :)
a. Schools you are applying to: (Might look into others, but there are the ones I really want to go to in order) UW, OSU, WSU, Mercer
b. Overall GPA: 3.60
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.35
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 3.7
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 90 composite, 98 verbal, 84 bio, 93 reading comp, 91 quant, 81 chem
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 40 volunteer hours
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to submit August - Sep 2010 for 2011 admission

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 3 (Env Sci teacher, Military Commander, Volunteer coordinator)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: 100 hours hospice, 100 hours hospital volunteer, working as Certified Nursing Assistant
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Pretty good, Im used to public speaking and interview-like situations.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: great

A little background,
I was going to school a few years ago working toward biochem, my grades (3.7 overall) were decent, except my last semester (2nd semester junior year), when some stuff was going on where I was, essentially, going to have to take a break from school--my gpa that last semester was a 2.9 with a a C in P.Chem Lab, and Research Techniques...oops.
I joined the military and finished out my last year via UMUC as an environmental science major, where my GPA has been 3.7ish. How bad is that one semester going to haunt me? Also, I feel like my composite is mostly due to my verbal score, should I worry about the lower, by comparison, science scores? Also, is my relative lack of pharmacy experience going to hurt?

I'd think you'll get in to almost every school you apply to unless for some reason something in your essays, LOR's or interview(s) really causes adcom's to look negatively upon you. In many ways your background is similar to mine, your GPA is considerably better though. I got at least an interview at every school I applied to. Your military experience and CNA license will both be pluses for you.

PM me if you want a bit more info - some things I'd rather not post...

a. Schools you are applying to: Temple, Thomas Jefferson, LECOM, Rutgers
b. Overall GPA: 3.40
c. Math/Science GPA: 3.15
d. GPA in last one or two school years: same as above
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): 73 composite, 82 verbal, 71 bio, 48 reading comp, 55 quant, 81 chem
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 2.5 years as a retail pharm tech
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): plan to submit july-august 2010 for 2011 admission

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 4 (committee, math teacher, pharmacist, another sci or academic advisor)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: Undergrad student rep for potential students, habitat for humanity
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Ok, might be taken aback by a weird question but would be able to answer
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: good

First of all, why those schools?

Your PCAT is not really competitive and your RC score stands out. But, considering the 3.4 GPA, it probably won't make or break you. What is the breakdown of your pre-req grades? (gen chem, o chem, bio, A&P, micro, specifically). Have you ever had to retake courses or do you have anything lower than a C?

The thing you really have in your favor is the 2.5 years of experience. That is a big bonus. Your EC's are mediocre but I am going to assume that because you work and go to school full-time, you have less time for EC's. So, just keep doing what you're doing. If you can get anymore volunteering (maybe in a hospital pharmacy or something) in over the summer, that would be a bonus.

How would you rate your LORs? Strong? Mediocre? Generic?

You might want to do some mock interviews so that you can practice handling a difficult question with composure/poise.

I think you have a great shot, particularly for LECOM and Thomas Jefferson, but you might want to consider casting a wider net in terms of schools. I am not that familiar with Temple and I heard Rutgers could be pretty tough to get into. (I thought their school was 0-6??)

Work on your personal statement some more. Have a lot of people read it and give you their feedback. Consider getting it proofread by people you don't know.

First of all, why those schools?

Your PCAT is not really competitive and your RC score stands out. But, considering the 3.4 GPA, it probably won't make or break you. What is the breakdown of your pre-req grades? (gen chem, o chem, bio, A&P, micro, specifically). Have you ever had to retake courses or do you have anything lower than a C?

The thing you really have in your favor is the 2.5 years of experience. That is a big bonus. Your EC's are mediocre but I am going to assume that because you work and go to school full-time, you have less time for EC's. So, just keep doing what you're doing. If you can get anymore volunteering (maybe in a hospital pharmacy or something) in over the summer, that would be a bonus.

How would you rate your LORs? Strong? Mediocre? Generic?

You might want to do some mock interviews so that you can practice handling a difficult question with composure/poise.

I think you have a great shot, particularly for LECOM and Thomas Jefferson, but you might want to consider casting a wider net in terms of schools. I am not that familiar with Temple and I heard Rutgers could be pretty tough to get into. (I thought their school was 0-6??)

Work on your personal statement some more. Have a lot of people read it and give you their feedback. Consider getting it proofread by people you don't know.
The location of the school is particularly important for me for a personal issue that I'd rather not get into.

I've never had to retake any course and never got a C or lower in anything. Here's my the rundown of prereq grades:
Gen Chem I: B
Gen Chem II: A-
Organic I: A-
Organic II: In progress but looking at a B
Bio I: B+
Bio II: B+
Calc I: B
Calc II: B+

My math professor recommendation is probably mediocre. The one for my other science will probably be a good bit better. I know the letter from the pharmacist will be an amazing and super strong one.

a. Schools you are applying to
UT austin, UH, Uwashington, Uflorida, Auburn. UT Austin would be my number one choice, followed by Univ of Washington and then UH.

I currently attend UT austin undergrad... I think there was a stat on UT's site showing higher rates of acceptance for instate and UT students than for out of state... I'm not going to get my hopes too high until I get my PCAT results later.

b. Overall GPA-
3.2ish. I did bad my freshman year but I've worked to improve... which is good, right? This is also on a +/- Scale. I believe pharmacy schools do not look at + or - so the GPA may be a bit higher. Please tell me if I am misinformed about this.

c. Math/Science GPA
-3.0 or possibly 2.9
(C's in biology based but A's in chemistry, including Ochem). I also have a "dropped" class from my tumultuous freshman year.

e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite)- Not taken... Taking Kaplan classes this summer before I take it in august.

f. Pharmacy experience obtained-
-200 hours thus far of pharmacy tech hours @ retail pharmacy, expecting another 200-400 hours by the time I apply this fall/winter.

-Volunteering @ hospital pharmacy 80 hours by the time I apply.

-Committing about 40-50 hours to Texas Pharmacy Association this summer. Helping out with projects such as the TPA annual conference, CE programs, etc.
-Shadowed a couple of pharmacist during Winter 2009-2010.
-Certified Technician, Also registered with Texas State Board of Pharmacy.
-Red Cross certified.
-Level 1 International Peer Mentor Certification

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs-
My pharmacist that I work with. I intend on getting 2 more, one from another pharmacist and another from a professor. I'd say the LOR are decent to strong.

i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience-
40 hours during this spring at a hospital, 40+ hours scattered through various locations such as libraries during my freshman to sophomore years, community centers, mental institutions, children's science events.

-Mentor of University of Texas based first year interest group-- will be mentoring 15-20 students in upcoming fall semester.
-Used to be an altar server leader, but this is the summer before college began so would this be irrelevant?

j. Self-perception of interview skills-
Somewhat favorable? Have been involved in multiple interviews, such as for both of my jobs in high school, for various positions in hospitals or for the UT-Austin FIG program. I mumble and stutter time to time however.

k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- I've been trying to get experience in every aspect of the pharmacy, clinical, retail, lobbying of laws and the administrative aspect. The one area I lack thus far is the research aspect, and as hard as I have tried to find research opportunities, I have yet to find one. I feel that with these different experiences, I could better explain which aspect of pharmacy I am interested and why... No better way to find out my passion than to experience everything. I have only shadowed clinical pharmacists and I have worked in retail. I enjoyed both and found both to be interesting, but I liked the counseling aspect of retail.

It would be great if somebody could gauge me on my odds for UT austin and UHouston and Uwash especially... those three are the schools I am really looking to get into due to proximity to home and due to the great education these schools would be able to provide. Washington is out there because my parents may move to the state of Washington.

My GPA sucks due to mistakes I made my freshman year but I feel like I've mature enough and have put in the enough effort to show the progress Ive made since then.

Last edited:
UT austin, UH, Uwashington, Uflorida, Auburn. UT Austin would be my number one choice, followed by Univ of Washington and then UH.

I currently attend UT austin undergrad... I think there was a stat on UT's site showing higher rates of acceptance for instate and UT students than for out of state... I'm not going to get my hopes too high until I get my PCAT results later.

With a 3.2 GPA you'd be in the bottom 15% or so students grade-wise at your top 3 schools. You're going to need either a very good explanation about your grades to put in your PS or an exceptionally high PCAT score to get an interview with UT or UH, and given the admissions statistics for UWash, I'd consider looking at some schools that have lower standards for OOS applicants.

The location of the school is particularly important for me for a personal issue that I'd rather not get into.

I've never had to retake any course and never got a C or lower in anything. Here's my the rundown of prereq grades:
Gen Chem I: B
Organic I: A-
Organic II: In progress but looking at a B
Bio I: B+
Bio II: B+
Calc I: B
Calc II: B+

My math professor recommendation is probably mediocre. The one for my other science will probably be a good bit better. I know the letter from the pharmacist will be an amazing and super strong one.

You should apply and see what happens. You need to write a personal statement that really stands out because your grades do not. The amazing and super strong letter of recommendation and the 2.5 years of pharmacy experience are going to be your biggest strengths. And, like I said, you might want to round out your app with some volunteer work. On paper = average to slightly above average (because of the experience) but not stellar...so, you are going to have to make the interview count.

With a 3.2 GPA you'd be in the bottom 15% or so students grade-wise at your top 3 schools. You're going to need either a very good explanation about your grades to put in your PS or an exceptionally high PCAT score to get an interview with UT or UH, and given the admissions statistics for UWash, I'd consider looking at some schools that have lower standards for OOS applicants.

Normally I agree with this, but UWash likes well rounded applicants and this poster has a ton of EC's in many different areas. The fact that they stayed committed to them, went out of their way to get a LOT of relevant experience, says a lot about the passion and determination of the applicant. With a 3.2 overall, it would be tough most certainly, but definitely doable. Furthermore, the poster has A's in the chemistry courses.

Dhk, what is your grade trend for the last year or so?

You are REALLY going to have to do well on the PCAT and get that stuttering/mumbling under control. You will need to be confident and sincere in your interview with UWash. UWash also has a few essays for their supplemental, one of which where you can explain any challenges/disadvantages, etc. It would be wise to look at their website and get the essay question from there (they should have it posted already and if not, it will be soon). I don't know about the supps at the other schools, but if they offer the same opportunity, you can make your personal statement more about your strengths, experiences, and passion for pharmacy rather than your issues in your freshman year.

My grade trend has been improving. I am looking at 2-3 A's, and 2 B's. The A's being a Ochem II class. I may end up with a C in economics so I'm currently studying my butt off for that final...

I know that my grades are my weakest point but with a PCAT score of 90 composite, would you say that my chances are good for all 3 schools? I'm generally good with essays and good at trying to explain myself.. again I think I can fix my mumbling and stuttering problem if I was to practice in front of a mirror or prepare way in advance.

Also, would you say I have more experience than what a normal applicant to these schools have?

My grade trend has been improving. I am looking at 2-3 A's, and 2 B's. The A's being a Ochem II class. I may end up with a C in economics so I'm currently studying my butt off for that final...

I know that my grades are my weakest point but with a PCAT score of 90 composite, would you say that my chances are good for all 3 schools? I'm generally good with essays and good at trying to explain myself.. again I think I can fix my mumbling and stuttering problem if I was to practice in front of a mirror or prepare way in advance.

Also, would you say I have more experience than what a normal applicant to these schools have?

You certainly have more tech experience. So, in that area, you are above average. Your EC's are good, too. With a 90 composite, you have a good shot at interviews. The supplemental essays for UWash are going to hold a lot of weight with them. If you can pull a 90 on the PCAT, I would say you've got your foot in the door. The interviews will seal the deal. I think you should apply to a couple of backup schools, too....just in case.

You certainly have more tech experience. So, in that area, you are above average. Your EC's are good, too. With a 90 composite, you have a good shot at interviews. The supplemental essays for UWash are going to hold a lot of weight with them. If you can pull a 90 on the PCAT, I would say you've got your foot in the door. The interviews will seal the deal. I think you should apply to a couple of backup schools, too....just in case.
Yes, I will be applying to Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Auburn, etc.. other places in the south.

To Dhk, and to anyone with stuttering/mumbling or general delivery problems: Forget the mirror at the beginning, and go with taping yourself (just audio at first).

I find that just jumping into the mirror / video-tape method can be startling and a crawl-walk-run methodology helps a lot.

I presume your school didn't have a public speaking pre-requisite? If it did, I'm shocked that class didn't get you comfortable talking to people! I really didn't like public speaking before I took it, even though I'm a "people person" and am completely comfortable interacting interpersonally. No more "heeby jeebies" when addressing a crowd for me after delivering 10 speeches of varying length and content in that class, yowsa.

So, if you haven't yet taken a PS class, do so! It will dramatically increase your confidence, delivery and stamina for speaking. The best numbers in the world won't help you if you don't impress the interviewers!

Agree w/ lea though, a 90th percentile PCAT is awesome, as is an A in OChem II lec/lab.

In my experience (Applying to CA schools), some experience is great, but it didn't seem to me that an applicant with 200~ hours of pharmacy and a 3.2 GPA would do a whole lot better than one with 20~ hours of pharmacy and a 3.8 GPA holding all other variables constant... You can support this a variety of ways, but the most stark of the methods is to look at the glut of applicants who are in school right now with absolutely, positively zero pharmacy experience.

b. Overall GPA: 4.00
c. Math GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.00
e. PCAT Score: (Taking it in June)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Only several hours of shadowing in high school
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from my micro professor, 1 from differential eq. professor, 1 from A&P prof., 1 from pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: none, hoping to go to Mexico this summer with my church for two weeks and volunteering at hospital
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Meh
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Haven't written one yet

Hi, I just recently decided in this past semester to switch from a math major back to pre-pharmacy and was hoping to apply to pharmacy school this fall. When I was a senior in high school I was admitted into Wilkes' 0-6 program but changed my mind at the last moment for several reasons (financial, doubts, etc.). So, despite that, two years later I'm back and wanting to pursue pharmacy again.

I really don't have any extracurricular activities, and the only thing I have going for me is my gpa. By Spring 2011 I should have the minimum prerequisites met, so I figure I might as well try this fall to see if I can get in.

I was set on Shenandoah, but just had a fairly disheartening conversation with someone there about how practically all (98%) of their admitted applicants have at least a bachelor's degree.

Will my lack of extracurriculars/pharmacy experience, only minimum prereqs met, and fairly young applying age (I'll barely be 20 when applying this fall) be offset by a good GPA and hopefully a good PCAT score? I'm hoping to get some volunteering in this summer too but I'm just not sure it will be enough. I don't really care where I go, but should I be optimistic about getting in anywhere even?

And I guess as an extra question, if I do end up staying an extra semester and getting a bachelor's degree, would it matter if I got it in something like math as long as I had the minimum prerequisites for pharm school?

3.1+ cGPA, 3.4+ sGPA and 3.7+ mathGPA(without computer science classes). What PCAT(composite) score should I aim for in order to have a chance at pharmacy schools?

3.1+ cGPA, 3.4+ sGPA and 3.7+ mathGPA(without computer science classes). What PCAT(composite) score should I aim for in order to have a chance at pharmacy schools?

Why not strive for the best you can instead of focusing on the minimum score?

Originally Posted by BestDoctorEver

Why not strive for the best you can instead of focusing on the minimum score?
I said that because I think I can have at least a 75+ composite score. Will I have a chance with a score of that sort, or should I aim for 85+ to have a chance.

Originally Posted by BestDoctorEver

I said that because I think I can have at least a 75+ composite score. Will I have a chance with a score of that sort, or should I aim for 85+ to have a chance.

You definitely have a chance, but I would aim for at least 80. What are your ECs and pharmacy experience like?

b. Overall GPA: 4.00
c. Math GPA: 4.00
Science GPA: 4.00
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.00
e. PCAT Score: (Taking it in June)
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Only several hours of shadowing in high school
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: 1 from my micro professor, 1 from differential eq. professor, 1 from A&P prof., 1 from pharmacist
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: none, hoping to go to Mexico this summer with my church for two weeks and volunteering at hospital
j. Self-perception of interview skills: Meh
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Haven't written one yet

Hi, I just recently decided in this past semester to switch from a math major back to pre-pharmacy and was hoping to apply to pharmacy school this fall. When I was a senior in high school I was admitted into Wilkes' 0-6 program but changed my mind at the last moment for several reasons (financial, doubts, etc.). So, despite that, two years later I'm back and wanting to pursue pharmacy again.

I really don't have any extracurricular activities, and the only thing I have going for me is my gpa. By Spring 2011 I should have the minimum prerequisites met, so I figure I might as well try this fall to see if I can get in.

I was set on Shenandoah, but just had a fairly disheartening conversation with someone there about how practically all (98%) of their admitted applicants have at least a bachelor's degree.

Will my lack of extracurriculars/pharmacy experience, only minimum prereqs met, and fairly young applying age (I'll barely be 20 when applying this fall) be offset by a good GPA and hopefully a good PCAT score? I'm hoping to get some volunteering in this summer too but I'm just not sure it will be enough. I don't really care where I go, but should I be optimistic about getting in anywhere even?

And I guess as an extra question, if I do end up staying an extra semester and getting a bachelor's degree, would it matter if I got it in something like math as long as I had the minimum prerequisites for pharm school?

The degree major doesn't matter. Any degree will do even if it is in something like Art History. All that matters is that you have the degree. With a 4.0, you will get an interview. Try to do some volunteer work to round out your application.

You definitely have a chance, but I would aim for at least 80. What are your ECs and pharmacy experience like?
I have no pharmacy experience; however, I have been a registered nurse for 5 years(I dont know if that count tho). I have no ECs except that I spent 4 days in Haiti helping after the earthquake.

I have no pharmacy experience; however, I have been a registered nurse for 5 years(I dont know if that count tho). I have no ECs except that I spent 4 days in Haiti helping after the earthquake.

It counts. You have exposure to the healthcare field which it great but be prepared to answer the question "Why pharmacy?". You also should learn more about the different sectors of pharmacy and exactly what a pharmacist does. You will get asked about this in your interview so know it well. Write a great personal statement and I would say you have a great shot!

Hi everyone! I will be a Junior this fall. I really messed up the first two years of college. I had a hard time situating and finding the right study habits. Now, I'm trying to learn from that. I've always had a passion for pharmacy and public health so I know that it's the path I want to be on. My primary concern as you will tell is my GPA.

a. Schools I'm thinking about applying to: Trying to state in state so - Virginia Commonwealth Univ (VCU), Shenandoah, and maybe Howard Univ and Notre Dame. VCU would be my 1st choice.
b. Overall GPA: (Currently) 2.42 (Cum.)
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.0 (T__T really effed it up)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 2.66 this semester
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I haven't taken this yet but am planning on studying for it this summer.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 months internship at a regional hospital (Shadowing all Pharmacists in the Pharmacy dept as well as several technicians) in Senior Year of high school. Taking my State Pharmacy Tech license exam this Monday...so hopefully I will have a pharmacy tech exam by the end of the summer and maintain it.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Thinking of applying Summer before Senior Year?

Despite my low GPA, I've been very active in the research side of the school's science department. I'm currently involved in two research projects (Microbio and Environmental Science (topic is health related)). I'm the leader for the Environ Science Project and have published a paper for the former. I intend on continuing with those two in the future.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Microbio research mentor and professor, pharmacist (considering I will be working in one), and possible Psych (Major's Dept. Chair) professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I'm very active in organization relating to the school's admission board and cultural affairs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I have a good chance with this part
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Don't see a problem since I am very people-to-people type of person.

What do you my chances are in getting into these schools? Thank you!

Hi everyone! I will be a Junior this fall. I really messed up the first two years of college. I had a hard time situating and finding the right study habits. Now, I'm trying to learn from that. I've always had a passion for pharmacy and public health so I know that it's the path I want to be on. My primary concern as you will tell is my GPA.

a. Schools I'm thinking about applying to: Trying to state in state so - Virginia Commonwealth Univ (VCU), Shenandoah, and maybe Howard Univ and Notre Dame. VCU would be my 1st choice.
b. Overall GPA: (Currently) 2.42 (Cum.)
c. Math/Science GPA: 2.0 (T__T really effed it up)
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 2.66 this semester
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): I haven't taken this yet but am planning on studying for it this summer.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: 6 months internship at a regional hospital in Senior Year of high school. Taking my State Pharmacy Tech license exam this Monday...so hopefully I will have a pharmacy tech exam by the end of the summer and maintain it.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): N/A for the moment.

Despite my low GPA, I've been very active in the research side of the school's science department. I'm currently involved in two research project (Microbio and Environmental Science (topic is health related)). I'm the leader for the Environ Science Project and have published a paper for the former. I intend on continuing with those two projects in the future.

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: Microbio research mentor and professor, pharmacist (considering I will be working in one), and possible Psych (Major's Dept. Chair) professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I'm very active in organization relating to the school's admission board and cultural affairs
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I think I have a good chance with this part
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: Don't see a problem since I am very people-to-people type of person.

What do you my chances are in getting into these schools? Thank you!

You don't meet the minimum requirements. You need to retake any C and below pre-reqs and get some pharmacy experience to even have a remote chance. I would say that you should hold off applying this year and wait until the next cycle (for entrance into class of 2016). You 2.66 shows that you have not improved that much. You need to figure out what you are doing wrong...get some advisement. You probably need better study habits or something...

Wow. Thanks for the quick response.

Hmm. I calculated my GPA and realized that if I maintained a consistent progression of A's and B's I would end up with a GPA within the range of 3.03. :(

Wow. Thanks for the quick response.

Hmm. I calculated my GPA and realized that if I maintained a consistent progression of A's and B's I would end up with a GPA within the range of 3.03. :(

Get as many A's and B's that you can. The upward trend is extremely important. If you can get above 3.0, you at least meet the minimum requirement for many schools. Pick your schools wisely.

My top choice is UMD but I know my chances are very low.

c. Math/Science GPA:
Gen Chem I: A
Lab: A
Lab: A-
Biology I: C
Biology II: C+
Physics I: B
Physics II: B-
Orgo I: C
Orgo II: F

I failed Orgo, but I am planning to retake it at another school since I will be graduating next semester. What do you think my chances are of getting into pharmacy school with my GPA alone? Will the F in Orgo really hurt my chances?

My top choice is UMD but I know my chances are very low.

c. Math/Science GPA:
Gen Chem I: A
Lab: A
Lab: A-
Biology I: C
Biology II: C+
Physics I: B
Physics II: B-
Orgo I: C
Orgo II: F

I failed Orgo, but I am planning to retake it at another school since I will be graduating next semester. What do you think my chances are of getting into pharmacy school with my GPA alone? Will the F in Orgo really hurt my chances?

I think you have a shot as long as you retake that Orgo II. I had a 3.1 GPA with 80 pcat (58 chem, 96 bio) and was accepted to UMD Baltimore campus as an out-of-state student a week after being put on the waitlist.

I think you have a shot as long as you retake that Orgo II. I had a 3.1 GPA with 80 pcat (58 chem, 96 bio) and was accepted to UMD Baltimore campus as an out-of-state student a week after being put on the waitlist.

my advisor advised that i retake Bio I AND II but i won't be able to take it at my school and will have to take it at another institution after I graduate, which i'm guessing won't look good.

do you think i should retake bio I and II and orgo I?

If you feel you can get a higher grade, I sugget retaking them. if not, concentrate on ur PCAT, a high score would take the attention away from those grades.

my advisor advised that i retake Bio I AND II but i won't be able to take it at my school and will have to take it at another institution after I graduate, which i'm guessing won't look good.

do you think i should retake bio I and II and orgo I?

Hello I will be applying this summer for the fall 2011 term. What are my chances of getting in? Here are my stats:

B.S in Biology:
Science GPA: 2.71
Nonscience: 3.08
Overall GPA 2.88

This year I took extra science classes because I had a low GPA:
Fall 2010 GPA: 3.1
Spring 2010 GPA: 3.7

I worked at pharmacy as Pharmacy tech for a year. Volunteered at a hospital for a year. Currently, I'm volunteering at the American Red Cross. I have pretty good letters of recommendation. I will also be taking the PCAT this June.

What are my chances of getting in?
My hopes are to get into UOP or Touro (in vallejo). Do You have any suggestions for out of states schools that i might have a good chance of getting into?

Thank you so much

Hi everyone! I am about to get ready to apply and I just wanted to know if you guys thought I had a shot! I will be graduating with a BS in biology with a minor in chem next year. Thank you!:)

Schools you are applying to MCPHS Worcester and WNEC
b. Overall GPA 3.326
c. Math/Science GPA 3.2
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) Taking in june
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Registered and Certified technician, 1 year retail, 1 year long term care IV tech and 3 years as hospital pharmacy tech
Hopefully very shortly after it opens
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- One from director of my pharmacy, one from hospital pharmacist and one from bio professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- volunteer for make a wish foundation after my sister survived non hodgkins lymphoma, have also shadowed our clinical pharmacist
j. Self-perception of interview skills- should be decent at the interview
, i have been hired for every job i have applied for so I hope pharmacy school is no exception!
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- have not written yet, but pharmacist who is writing my LOR is going to proof read, as well as my english professor

Hi everyone! I am about to get ready to apply and I just wanted to know if you guys thought I had a shot! I will be graduating with a BS in biology with a minor in chem next year. Thank you!:)

Schools you are applying to MCPHS Worcester and WNEC
b. Overall GPA 3.326
c. Math/Science GPA 3.2
d. GPA in last one or two school years 3.5
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite) Taking in june
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: Registered and Certified technician, 1 year retail, 1 year long term care IV tech and 3 years as hospital pharmacy tech
Hopefully very shortly after it opens
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs- One from director of my pharmacy, one from hospital pharmacist and one from bio professor
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience- volunteer for make a wish foundation after my sister survived non hodgkins lymphoma, have also shadowed our clinical pharmacist
j. Self-perception of interview skills- should be decent at the interview
, i have been hired for every job i have applied for so I hope pharmacy school is no exception!
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality- have not written yet, but pharmacist who is writing my LOR is going to proof read, as well as my english professor

Worcester will definitely be interested in you because of your experience. Provided your PCAT score and your LORs are strong, you will most likely get an interview. If at all possible, you should consider casting a wider net for schools. Because you have so much experience, you will most likely get interviews at a lot of schools. Unless you are restricted geographically for whatever reason, you really should look into some state universities. As for WNEC, do you mean University of New England? I thought WNEC only had a PRE-pharmacy pathway...if you mean University of New England, with your credentials, I would steer clear of pre-candidate/candidate schools.

Hi guys,
I just graduated with a b.s in Chemistry, and I’m planning to apply this summer for fall 2011. I’m in a very awkward situation because I was previously a pre-med student and decided to switch to pharmacy about a month or two ago. I still have 4 pre-reqs to complete which I planned on taking them at a community college this upcoming year. Any feedback will be appreciated.
a. Schools you are applying to: VCU, Shenandoah, Howard, Appalachian, and UMD,
b. Overall GPA: 3.9
c. Math/Science: 3.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): will be taking it in August
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I worked at a local pharmacy for about 9 months during my senior year in high school. I never took the certification exam for it because I didn’t think I would go into the field of pharmacy then.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Will be submitting my application by the end of summer

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I’m planning to have at least 4 LORS (two from professors, one from a nurse, and one from an executive member at a clinic I volunteer at)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I’ve volunteer at a health clinic for the past two years. I’m also a hospice volunteer and a mentor at a local elementary school. I was a chemistry TA for the last three years, and was a biology TA for a semester. I was also part of a peer mentoring group at my university.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I’m nervous at first but after a couple minutes I become more comfortable. Overall, I think my interview skills is average.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I’ve completed a personal statement but it was for my medical school application. I planned on rewriting a new one sometime soon. Do you guys think it would be good idea to explain my decision to switch from premed to prepharm and the impact it had?
Thank you!

Hi guys,
I just graduated with a b.s in Chemistry, and I’m planning to apply this summer for fall 2011. I’m in a very awkward situation because I was previously a pre-med student and decided to switch to pharmacy about a month or two ago. I still have 4 pre-reqs to complete which I planned on taking them at a community college this upcoming year. Any feedback will be appreciated.
a. Schools you are applying to: VCU, Shenandoah, Howard, Appalachian, and UMD,
b. Overall GPA: 3.9
c. Math/Science: 3.9
d. GPA in last one or two school years: 4.0
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite): will be taking it in August
f. Pharmacy experience obtained: I worked at a local pharmacy for about 9 months during my senior year in high school. I never took the certification exam for it because I didn’t think I would go into the field of pharmacy then.
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary): Will be submitting my application by the end of summer

h. Number of LORs and source of LORs: I’m planning to have at least 4 LORS (two from professors, one from a nurse, and one from an executive member at a clinic I volunteer at)
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience: I’ve volunteer at a health clinic for the past two years. I’m also a hospice volunteer and a mentor at a local elementary school. I was a chemistry TA for the last three years, and was a biology TA for a semester. I was also part of a peer mentoring group at my university.
j. Self-perception of interview skills: I’m nervous at first but after a couple minutes I become more comfortable. Overall, I think my interview skills is average.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality: I’ve completed a personal statement but it was for my medical school application. I planned on rewriting a new one sometime soon. Do you guys think it would be good idea to explain my decision to switch from premed to prepharm and the impact it had?
Thank you!

You have a great shot. I don't think it would hurt to explain why you chose a different profession. Your killer GPA/stats is great for medical school, so I think it would be a plus for pharmacy schools to see why you made the switch.

I have a 2.8gpa/2.7sgpa... what are my chances of gaining acceptance? i plan to take the PCAT in june, and am shooting for 80+...

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.