the weight of letters of rec.?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by adismo, May 17, 2000.

1. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

hi everyone,

im wondering how much importance D.O. committees place on letters of recommendations? can mediocre letters ever overturn strong grades/scores?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Liquid_Tension

Liquid_Tension Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hello, I am in my first year at NYCOM, and I think that a letter or recommendation from a DO is highly regarded....infact, it is just about required. They want to be certain that you have spoken to a DO and understand what osteopathy is all about before you enter the school.
    -your aqueous humorous Liquid

4. happy

happy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Letters of recommendation may or may nt hurt you . If your pre-med advisor has her pets are your not one of them, my best advice is that you contact the school of your choice as early as possible and request a brief meeting with the Dean of Admissions. Good Luck!

5. Lennox

Lennox Member
    10+ Year Member

It depends on why the letter is mediocre. If it's because the referee didn't know you very well and wrote a generic one, then it won't hurt--but it won't help much, either. On the other hand, if the person says negative things about you, you will probably not get into the school.

You must ask the person if they are willing to write a "supportive letter of rec." If not, then you need to find someone else.

Best of luck.

-Dave