the weight of letters of rec.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adismo

covered in moon dust
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

im wondering how much importance D.O. committees place on letters of recommendations? can mediocre letters ever overturn strong grades/scores?

Members don't see this ad.

hello, I am in my first year at NYCOM, and I think that a letter or recommendation from a DO is highly regarded....infact, it is just about required. They want to be certain that you have spoken to a DO and understand what osteopathy is all about before you enter the school.
-your aqueous humorous Liquid

Letters of recommendation may or may nt hurt you . If your pre-med advisor has her pets are your not one of them, my best advice is that you contact the school of your choice as early as possible and request a brief meeting with the Dean of Admissions. Good Luck!

It depends on why the letter is mediocre. If it's because the referee didn't know you very well and wrote a generic one, then it won't hurt--but it won't help much, either. On the other hand, if the person says negative things about you, you will probably not get into the school.

You must ask the person if they are willing to write a "supportive letter of rec." If not, then you need to find someone else.

Best of luck.

-Dave