The "well, things actually are going better than I thought they would" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ButImLETired

Prodigal member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because this forum is filled with threads about how awful this cycle has been going, here's a thread for those of us who have been incredibly lucky and pleasantly surprised this cycle. Just in time for thanksgiving. Be thankful because things are going well! God knows it could have very easily been the opposite...go happy thread!

Members don't see this ad.

I found $20 on the street today :D

Members don't see this ad :)
i got into medical school, and that is ALL that matters!!!

well, I didn't apply to any schools this cycle, but most good things I have come to me by sheer dumb luck, so I am always pleasantly surprised =)

ME TOO. I could literally throw up on my interviewers at my final interview invite next month, and I WOULD STILL END UP A DOCTOR. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yay congrats!!! Here's some dancing bananas (they make every day a little brighter): :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

thanks soo much! it's such a relief. i was beginning to think what my Plan B was going to be, but now no need :)

well when you're as much of a pessimist as i am, of course things are going to turn out better than you expect. :)

I really think my mdapps says it all... I never thought I would get in, let alone this early (or to my favorite schools)! I've really been fortunate!!

well when you're as much of a pessimist as i am, of course things are going to turn out better than you expect. :)

haha congrats!!! i guess it feels even better for you then huh. life feels good right now

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 acceptances before thanksgiving and I have had 5 interviews so far and no post-interview rejections.

Well, I have an interview at a dream school 4 months earlier than my first invite last cycle. I do not think I could ask for much more.

After only getting two late interviews my first application cycle, I am SO excited and surprised to already have five interviews and one acceptance..

... and still 17 schools I have not heard from. Maybe I over did it... ;)

yeah of course LET is happy, she got into vandy :laugh:

I'm still shocked that I've been accepted to two incredible schools with only a 3.4 BCPM gpa. The gods must be crazy.

ME TOO. I could literally throw up on my interviewers at my final interview invite next month, and I WOULD STILL END UP A DOCTOR. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

yep, that's right, except you should try to keep that breakfast in, just in case you end up liking that school the best :)

I'm surprised I got any MD interviews let alone the 4 that I have received so far. Also so far no post-interview rejections is surprising.

I can't believe some of the places that I've gotten interviews from this cycle! I never thought I stood a chance. I'm also really happy at getting some early acceptances~

:luck: LET, I feel like this is the perfect thread for me. Not sure why things have been going so spectacular, but I'm not gonna fight it! :D

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord shine his face upon you and give you peace. We all need peace. Congrats to you all. And have a peaceful and grateful Thanksgiving.

This is definitely my thread. Thanks for making it.

I'm so happy for everyone who have had good news so far. You guys truly deserved it. For those that are still waiting, I think all of us can still be grateful for many things this Thanksgiving if we can look beyond this medical school application process. Happy Early Thanksgiving everyone, I definitely am very thankful this season.

LET, you're awesome. Can't wait to see you at Vanderbilt's second look weekend if you're going!

Well, 11 invites, 3 acceptances (one is my state school <3), 1 waitlist. This has gone very well so far. Sadly though, I am not one to relax, so I am still freaking out over my schoolwork :(. But for those who can let up a bit more, it certainly is nice to be in somewhere.

Man, I NEVER thought the cycle would go this well for me. :) I recently interviewed at a school I never even dreamed would seriously consider me.

Considering I got accepted to one of my top choice schools before Thanksgiving, I'd say this cycle has definitely gone a lot better than I thought it would :)

I'm absolutely ecstatic about how my application cycle has gone. I've got unimpressive stats, decent ECs & LORs. I feel truly blessed, especially knowing how many incredible applicants there are still living in limbo.

4 acceptances so far. I can hardly believe it.

:luck: LET, I feel like this is the perfect thread for me. Not sure why things have been going so spectacular, but I'm not gonna fight it! :D

Hold the phone! I looked at your MDApps, and yeah....

Given my 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA, I applied hoping I would get one interview. I was ready to give it my all to convince that interviewer I can be an extraordinary physician.

Now, I am sitting on 9 interviews (to Brown, Duke, Case, Wisc. etc) and 2 acceptances (Georgetown and Maryland).

I am speechless, and honestly, I have so much to be thankful for. :)

Can anyone describe the feeling they had after they got their first acceptance? Was it super relieving? Kind of like a cold glass of lemonade one a hot summer day?

Anyone cry?

Can anyone describe the feeling they had after they got their first acceptance? Was it super relieving? Kind of like a cold glass of lemonade one a hot summer day?

Anyone cry?

My parents cried.

As for me, it felt unreal. I read the letter 20 times before I was sure of what it said.

Hold the phone! I looked at your MDApps, and yeah....

haha, I had the same impression after reading his MDapps.

This is a great thread, its good to take a step back and get some perspective, be happy for what we have. I'm so grateful to have been accepted already to one of my top choices before applying and I just got an interview at my dream school. I don't know where I'll end up when all is said and done, but I'm so happy it will be somewhere I like at the very least.

What a great thread! Lucky doesn't even begin to describe how I feel! I was shocked to get an interview let alone be holding an acceptance before Thanksgiving :banana: I'm not sure why I've had this luck but I hope it keeps coming this way! Congrats everybody

Last edited:
PS: love your holiday friendly icon LET

I heart this thread...keep it bumped with positive thoughts everyone! :thumbup:

Anyone cry?

I definitely cried. I cried when I got my first interview AND my first acceptance, and I cry occasionally (I'm quite the crier, apparently) when I realize how rare it is, especially after seeing so many awesome people on SDN who are having trouble. It's both a huge relief and an incredible honor. It hits me at the strangest times- I'll be walking home from work, or watching the doctors in the clinic do their thing, and just be overwhelmed with the thought that I'll be doing the same. I don't care what anyone says- medicine is the most amazing field in the world. I've been wanting to do this since I was like, 6 years old! It's just totally surreal. I'm gonna cry through the entire white coat ceremony.

So glad you guys like the thread! :hardy:

I definitely cried. I cried when I got my first interview AND my first acceptance, and I cry occasionally (I'm quite the crier, apparently) when I realize how rare it is, especially after seeing so many awesome people on SDN who are having trouble. It's both a huge relief and an incredible honor. It hits me at the strangest times- I'll be walking home from work, or watching the doctors in the clinic do their thing, and just be overwhelmed with the thought that I'll be doing the same. I don't care what anyone says- medicine is the most amazing field in the world. I've been wanting to do this since I was like, 6 years old! It's just totally surreal. I'm gonna cry through the entire white coat ceremony.

So glad you guys like the thread! :hardy:
my thoughts exactly

I was so shocked & yes I cried like a little girl... but I was more surprised at my parents reaction. They have been going thru this with me since Day 1, helping me with my school & going to interviews and they were so happy & hugged each other (I think my Dad teared a bit but he won't admit it). It was such an amazing moment. Only slightly more amazing than when I got accepted to undergrad

It was weird. When I got my 2 acceptance letters I had to fake excitement. I was happy don't get me wrong. But after my interviews I sorta knew I would get in. One of my interviewers actually sat there telling me how mature, smart, friendly, compassionate I was and how my PS made her cry....
FYI my PS was just mentioning my EC's and my stats are pretty average.

We REALLY need more threads like this. The negativity has really been bogging me down. Thanks LET, and congrats everyone.

9 interview invites to some amazing schools (I was really only unimpressed by 1 of them), 3 acceptances so far (1 of which was to my #1 choice pre-appliction), 1 waitlist...

And not only that but I was invited to interview at Columbia and subsequently discovered that it is a perfect fit for me and my new dream school! If I go there I will be the only VCU undergrad to matriculate at P&S, ever! :)

This is the most ridiculously surreal experience for me. It's been pretty awesome, so far. I'm gonna be a doctor!!! And I get to CHOOSE where!!

On a less awesome note, a conversation I had with my mom:
Me: Guess what, guess what!!!
Mom: What? Are you okay?
Me: Yes! I got accepted to UTMB!
Mom: What?
Me: I got accepted to UTMB. That place in Galveston? In Texas? On that island? The one I didn't stop talking about for weeks?
Mom: Well, I can't say I'm happy about this. Why do you have to always try to be as far away from us as you can? Why can't you just stay near us like [insert 10+ friends' children who have no jobs and live in their parents' basements]? What did we do to make you do this? Do you hate us? And Texas? Why Texas?
Me: ... :confused: ... I ... but ... this is a good thing ... I'm gonna be a doctor! ... :confused:
{then she gets upset because I called my dad (still married) first}

Hahaha awww I know exactly what you mean. I had a remarkably similar conversation with my mom after I got into Sinai (she lives right by NYC). Basically, it went like this:

"Mom, I got into Sinai!"
"Oh wonderful! I'm so happy for you. That means you're going to drop Vanderbilt, right?"
"Well, I don't know yet, I'm going to have to look at both of them."
"But Sinai is your first choice!"
"Uhmmm...I never said that..."
"Well, you should have! I liked it for you!"
"Yeah but I'm the one who has to choose my school Ma, your first choice is sort of irrelevant"
"But it's near home!"
"Yes, yes it is"
"So, you'd rather be in the SOUTH than here?"
"Mom, the South isn't like, Hell. It's just the South."
"....why must you go so far away from me?"

sigh.

I think us reapplicants are the happiest n most grateful!!
Applied last yr, 2 interview, 2 waitlists, 2 rejections.
This yr, 7 interview, 3 more declined, and 4 acceptances so far!! And at some pretty sweet schools too!!!
Sooooooo grateful and thankful!!!!!!!!!!!
I love dancing bananassssssssssss :biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana:

You got heart doing it again. You deserve the success.

I think us reapplicants are the happiest n most grateful!!
Applied last yr, 2 interview, 2 waitlists, 2 rejections.
This yr, 7 interview, 3 more declined, and 4 acceptances so far!! And at some pretty sweet schools too!!!
Sooooooo grateful and thankful!!!!!!!!!!!
I love dancing bananassssssssssss :biglove: :banana: :biglove: :banana: