theatre sound acoustics testing methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcedCube

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would the wall be an antinode/node with constructive/destrucitve interference?

Members don't see this ad.

IcedCube said:

I think I chose destructive interference as the answer. didn't have any reason for choosing it.

Nuel said:
I think I chose destructive interference as the answer. didn't have any reason for choosing it.

Don't remember what i chose, but if i was sane at the time of the test(which i wasn't), i would've GUESSED node with destrictive interference.

pateltr1 said:
Don't remember what i chose, but if i was sane at the time of the test(which i wasn't), i would've GUESSED node with destrictive interference.

i dont think theres any type of interference at a node..every wave passes thru the node with 0 amplitude?? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
IcedCube said:
i dont think theres any type of interference at a node..every wave passes thru the node with 0 amplitude?? :scared:

No clue. I must've guessed on that one. I do remember that this passage came up.

I was thinking it could've been node in relation to closed pipe. In Kaplan book, for the closed pipe, it says that closed end of the pipe represents node or something. I figured same thing can be said about the wall....

Did the question ahd four choices? like
Node/Constructive
Node/Destructive
AntiNode/Contructive
Antinode/destructive?

pateltr1 said:
No clue. I must've guessed on that one. I do remember that this passage came up.

I was thinking it could've been node in relation to closed pipe. In Kaplan book, for the closed pipe, it says that closed end of the pipe represents node or something. I figured same thing can be said about the wall....

Did the question ahd four choices? like
Node/Constructive
Node/Destructive
AntiNode/Contructive
Antinode/destructive?

I think the question asked what property was not possessed by the sound waves in the room . . . something like that. I narrowed my choices down to destructive or constructive interference. So I thought: "If it is destructive then sound won't be transmitted." So I unreasonably chose B=destructive interference. Form DK here.

I vaguely remember the question. It asked if the room's material was in resonance with the sound's frequency, since its resonating it must be constructive interference, I chose one of the answers concerning constructive, possibly antinode/constructive. Not really sure though.

i thought an answer was "node/exactly zero amplitude"... because if it was at a resonant frequency, wouldn the nodes be at each end of the theatre?

IcedCube said:

It seems we had the same passage but different questions, but I don't remember getting this. I would say the wall was a node with destructive interference.