1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

theatre sound acoustics testing methods

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by IcedCube, Apr 21, 2004.

1. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

would the wall be an antinode/node with constructive/destrucitve interference?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I think I chose destructive interference as the answer. didn't have any reason for choosing it.

4. pateltr1

pateltr1 Member
    5+ Year Member

Don't remember what i chose, but if i was sane at the time of the test(which i wasn't), i would've GUESSED node with destrictive interference.

5. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i dont think theres any type of interference at a node..every wave passes thru the node with 0 amplitude?? :scared:

6. pateltr1

pateltr1 Member
    5+ Year Member

No clue. I must've guessed on that one. I do remember that this passage came up.

I was thinking it could've been node in relation to closed pipe. In Kaplan book, for the closed pipe, it says that closed end of the pipe represents node or something. I figured same thing can be said about the wall....

Did the question ahd four choices? like
    Node/Constructive
    Node/Destructive
    AntiNode/Contructive
    Antinode/destructive?

7. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I think the question asked what property was not possessed by the sound waves in the room . . . something like that. I narrowed my choices down to destructive or constructive interference. So I thought: "If it is destructive then sound won't be transmitted." So I unreasonably chose B=destructive interference. Form DK here.

8. rugbyboy

rugbyboy Member
    7+ Year Member

I vaguely remember the question. It asked if the room's material was in resonance with the sound's frequency, since its resonating it must be constructive interference, I chose one of the answers concerning constructive, possibly antinode/constructive. Not really sure though.

9. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

i thought an answer was "node/exactly zero amplitude"... because if it was at a resonant frequency, wouldn the nodes be at each end of the theatre?

10. Nuel

10+ Year Member

It seems we had the same passage but different questions, but I don't remember getting this. I would say the wall was a node with destructive interference.