1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

theatre sound acoustics testing methods

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by IcedCube, Apr 21, 2004.

1. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

would the wall be an antinode/node with constructive/destrucitve interference?

2. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I think I chose destructive interference as the answer. didn't have any reason for choosing it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pateltr1

pateltr1 Member
    5+ Year Member

Don't remember what i chose, but if i was sane at the time of the test(which i wasn't), i would've GUESSED node with destrictive interference.

4. IcedCube

IcedCube Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i dont think theres any type of interference at a node..every wave passes thru the node with 0 amplitude?? :scared:

5. pateltr1

pateltr1 Member
    5+ Year Member

No clue. I must've guessed on that one. I do remember that this passage came up.

I was thinking it could've been node in relation to closed pipe. In Kaplan book, for the closed pipe, it says that closed end of the pipe represents node or something. I figured same thing can be said about the wall....

Did the question ahd four choices? like
    Node/Constructive
    Node/Destructive
    AntiNode/Contructive
    Antinode/destructive?

6. Nuel

10+ Year Member

I think the question asked what property was not possessed by the sound waves in the room . . . something like that. I narrowed my choices down to destructive or constructive interference. So I thought: "If it is destructive then sound won't be transmitted." So I unreasonably chose B=destructive interference. Form DK here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rugbyboy

rugbyboy Member
    7+ Year Member

I vaguely remember the question. It asked if the room's material was in resonance with the sound's frequency, since its resonating it must be constructive interference, I chose one of the answers concerning constructive, possibly antinode/constructive. Not really sure though.

8. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

i thought an answer was "node/exactly zero amplitude"... because if it was at a resonant frequency, wouldn the nodes be at each end of the theatre?

9. Nuel

10+ Year Member

It seems we had the same passage but different questions, but I don't remember getting this. I would say the wall was a node with destructive interference.