Theory: "Admissions at Medical School DO care where you went to Undergrad"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hate to break it to you but in the real world nobody know's of your school's prestige except unless you went to say a Harvard Yale princeton sanford berkely or mit level school. The exception is some elitist scumbag banking/law circles, which being in science or med doesn't fall under. Don't believe me just wait until you graduate and try appling for jobs or grad school. The only people who really think a school like UMich is that good are the ones that went there. That is why they are always in in your face about how great they are, some sort of napoleon complex. This reputation makes me embarrassed to say I graduated there.
People outside of law and finance are aware the ivy league consists of more than HYP and that Michigan is a great public school like UCLA, UVa, etc. It's not going to make people hand you opportunities but there's no need to be so salty

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
People outside of law and finance are aware the ivy league consists of more than HYP and that Michigan is a great public school like UCLA, UVa, etc. It's not going to make people hand you opportunities but there's no need to be so salty
Haha napoleon again. No way is michigan is on the same level of any ivies or a school like uva. There is a reason that most who go there always say some ivy or a school like uva was their first choice that they didn't get into. Mostly just rich kids go there who failed to get into somewhere better and their parents pay 45 grand a year with the illusion that it is ivy level school. The fact that you have to try to convince me that it is in the same tier as those schools means it is definitely not.

Well with your rude response I can confirm that you went to umich. The 5 percent number was an outlier (but fairly accurate for one class) but your 40 to 50 percent is definitely an outlier in the other direction. Most premed classes I would say have about 15 to 25 percent of the class getting a's from my experience. Considering that these classes have students with acts averaging at like 30 and the students usually have already survived being weeded out of 1, 2, 3, or even 4 classes, you're really just going heavily against the odds. That was my point that most students (not all) are better off going somewhere slightly less competitive especially considering that many med schools will have a gpa cutoff and not even look at your application if you do not meet that. Like I said I met many of these students that are stuck going to Caribbean schools, or no school at all who probably would have been better off somewhere they could get a higher gpa. Speaking of research msu definitely has a much more diverse array of programs which I would estimate would equate to more research. I'm sure mich might have some better programs, like psych, but it definitely has fewer programs. To prove this just compare the number of majors offered by each school. Hate to break it to you but in the real world nobody know's of your school's prestige except unless you went to say a Harvard Yale princeton sanford berkely or mit level school. The exception is some elitist scumbag banking/law circles, which being in science or med doesn't fall under. Don't believe me just wait until you graduate and try appling for jobs or grad school. The only people who really think a school like UMich is that good are the ones that went there. That is why they are always in in your face about how great they are, some sort of napoleon complex. This reputation makes me embarrassed to say I graduated there.

You do make a fair point about avg ACT scores and UMich students, but in the end, to come out on top you have to compete with the top. Honestly Id much rather be a big fish in a big pool than a big fish in a small pool. So in that regard I can agree with you that GPA wise it would be smarter to go to a "lesser" school like MSU.

In regards to research and MSU, I regret making that claim in my old post since I don't have any data on it, but logically I can agree it makes sense for MSU to have more research opportunities (I have no idea if this is even true or not) since they have one of the largest undergraduate populations in the US (this I know is true). So even if there are "more" opportunities, I think it'd be equal if not favored to UMich considering the amount of research funding UMich has (Sauce: http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/colleges-with-highest-research-and-development-expenditures/) (Sauce #2: http://www.genengnews.com/insight-a...-funded-universities-of-2014/77900233/?page=2)

And I really do disagree with your last little splouch about UMich's prestige. Of course not everyone knows or cares about undergraduate prestige, but as the above poster mentioned, it's definitely regarded as one of the most prestigious public schools in the nation, with the likes of Berkeley, etc. And of course it won't matter for a lot of things, but to classify it as irrelevant is ignorant, especially in a pre-allo forum where it's been posted many times that undergrad selection matters a fair amount for private medical schools.

And no offense, but under what criteria do you think you know the "real world"?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha napoleon again. No way is michigan is on the same level of any ivies or a school like uva. There is a reason that most who go there always say some ivy or a school like uva was their first choice that they didn't get into. Mostly just rich kids go there who failed to get into somewhere better and their parents pay 45 grand a year with the illusion that it is ivy level school. The fact that you have to try to convince me that it is in the same tier as those schools means it is definitely not.

Holistically speaking, I'd say it's up there. Undergrad wise Ivys beat out UMich in a lot of fields, but when you talk about graduate school, it's undeniable that UMich matches if not surpasses some of the Ivys.

UMich Med School, Ross School of Business, UMich Law School, UMich Nursing, Chemistry, Comp Sci, Econ, History, Math, Pharm, Poli Sci, I could go on for ages of graduate programs that are ranked at least top 15 (a majority of these are top 10/5 as well)

Last edited:

"If I must be convinced then the thing I am being convinced of must be false."

I guess wherever you went to school must have also not been very good if that is your argument.

UMich is an excellent school. It's #29 and has top 10 engineering and business program. Their graduates do very well for themselves. If you think that UVa, #26, is sooooo much better than UMich then the only explanation I can think of is that you are from the East Coast and have been drinking the east coast koolaid for too many years of your life.

This kind of snobbery is utterly pointless. In terms of undergraduate education, all of these schools are essentially equivalent. Professional prospects will differ based on the individual's goals: some may be better off at UMich than Harvard;many others, the other way around.

Now that's an odd argument. If I say I've never heard of Wharton before, does my ignorance really preclude it from being among the best of the best?

Anyways, I agree that it's not as tough as Ivy. Then again neither is Berkeley which you seem to think is on part with HYP, so I'd love to hear what makes U of M inferior to somewhere like UVa considering their similar student bodies/selectivities and layperson recognition. And seriously tone down the NaCl, I don't go to any of the schools mentioned, I just thought I'd point out that even on the west coast it's well known for being a great public school.

"If I must be convinced then the thing I am being convinced of must be false."

I guess wherever you went to school must have also not been very good if that is your argument.

UMich is an excellent school. It's #29 and has top 10 engineering and business program. Their graduates do very well for themselves. If you think that UVa, #26, is sooooo much better than UMich then the only explanation I can think of is that you are from the East Coast and have been drinking the east coast koolaid for too many years of your life.

This kind of snobbery is utterly pointless. In terms of undergraduate education, all of these schools are essentially equivalent. Professional prospects will differ based on the individual's goals: some may be better off at UMich than Harvard;many others, the other way around.
Actually I went to michigan so I could tell you straight out of the horse's mouth. Also their prestigious rankings are more grad schoo based not undergrad. When you have an administrator from the school that refers its undergratuate population as the school's "cash cow" right to your face then I think you should really consider going to a different school. I'm just trying to give advice to people who may be looking into different undergrad schools. I would definitely recommend michigan for grad school however.

By convincing I thought I was speaking other michigan person here. The point of was trying to make that you really have to question how good a school is when everyone who goes there always seems to try to sell you on the idea of how good it is. Nobody who goes to Harvard or Berkeley does that. This is theven napoleon complex I was talking about.

Last edited:
Compare the undergrad admissions stats and see for yourself
Uh, OK

Michigan - Rank 29, Accept 32%, top quartile at 1480 SAT CR+M
UVa- Rank 26, Accept 29%, top quartile at 1460

Those strike me as pretty damn comparable.

Private med schools like that you go to a school like mich, or higher ranked because they no that you are more likely to be able to pay their outrageous tuiton.
They can see your finances directly, don't need to infer from your alma mater.

When an administrator from the University openly refers to itsee undrrgrad population as the "cash cow" for the school I would highly recommend going elsewhere.
This is unfortunately the case for most colleges though - even at the fancy Ivy names, no doubt you're being taken advantage of with 50k tuition and (often mandatory) 15k housing and fees on top of that. I don't think that's a sign that the school is poor quality!

Reactions: 1 users

Do you go to UVA or something? It's hilarious how hard you're trying

Last edited:
Yes I know that many schools take this approach but I can tell you most don't to the extent michigan does and most won't openly admit it to your face. UMich has one of not the highest public school tuiton, and coincidentally has one of the highest out of state enrollments (meaning $$$$$). Also from meeting hundreds of people there who didn't get accepted into schools like uva I can take a wild guess that they may be inflating their numbers a bit too much or maybe take other factors into less consideration .
The UCs do the same, again I don't see how that should give me a low opinion of Berkeley or UCLA. All schools, even the best ones, are enjoying ridiculous tuition rates right now.

Haha I went to michigan haha half just trying to be honest and half just trolling waiting in line for something currently. It's funny how fast people on here respond. Just trying to show people a different side of the coin (more realistic side) and get some funny reactions out of some cocky self absorbed michigan people

I never understand people who take pride in trolling on an online forum.

Like congratulations? I'm glad you take so much enjoyment on something so pointless. I know that "omg I got so many reactionz lololol" is something that I guess you find funny, which is good for you, but all I see is someone who couldn't do well at UMich and is just being salty about it

Cheers to you