theranos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stick a fork in em they are done....
Theranos’ Letter To Shareholders Shows The Company Is On Its Deathbed

“The most viable option that we have identified to forestall a near-term sale or a potential default under our credit agreement is further investment by one or more of you.”

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many pathology bloggers are there anymore? I hope it was that pathology blawg dude or Thrombus.

Theranos on 60 minutes last night. I wish they had dedicated some more time to the story. It deserves an hour long show.

Of course no one from CAP on the broadcast....

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
About time. Ding dong the witch is dead!

As a general public service announcement, anytime a reporter talks about federal "maximum sentences", you know they are an idiot.

See the following from a former federal prosecutor: Crime: Whale Sushi. Sentence: ELEVENTY MILLION YEARS.

As an aside, I said a few posts ago that federal prosecutors go slowly because they can... I was right.

So since people here would probably love a number here is how it would roughly break down:

1) Assuming she hasn't hid previous felonies she would be in criminal history "Category 1."
2) The base for "wire fraud" is 8 points. It really doesn't matter how many counts there are.
3) She will get hammered for the amount of loss, lets say in the plea agreement they settle on $100M, that adds 26 points.
4) Everyone pleads guilty, so subtract 3 points for that.

That adds up to 31 points. Check the handy chart, 2016 Chapter 5

and that gives a guideline sentence of 108-135 months. The judge can go higher or lower, but they usually stay in the guidelines.

So when all is said and done, if she pleads guilty, which 99.999% of people facing federal charges do, she is probably looking at a sentence of between 10 and 15 years.

(Why do people plead guilty? Look at the chart again. If she goes to trial and is found guilty, when it comes to sentencing the feds could ague $1B+ in losses, and she was a leader, and sophisticated means, and who knows what else and the offense level could go to 43 which in the absence of the statutory maximum would be a life sentence.)

Last edited:
I can bet she and her boyfriend have parked nine figures in Cayman islands or Monaco. She will avoid the jail term most likely due to political reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too bad she can't go on the Apprentice and get Trump to pardon her someday.

I bet the judge sentences her to way below what the guidelines say. No way does she do 10 years.

"Sunny" sounds like he is going to fight this and I could see him getting sentenced to some serious time if he doesn't wise up and plead guilty.

Perhaps as her next move she can take an unmatched pathology residency position.

I look forward to her contributions to this forum.

Reactions: 1 users
All of the posts here are reality based, just our realities are more varied than docs in other specialties. Our realities run from post-apocalyptic hells to champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Now what in heaven,hell or earth do you mean???????????????????????????????????????

She seems to have a bone to pick with anyone here who
does not believe the field of pathology is some utopian
wonderland. Probably an academic? I can still smell them despite
my retirement.

From Bad Blood, Jim Mattis, a former director who now serves as US defence secretary, thinks Ms Holmes has “the most mature and well-honed sense of ethics” he has encountered.

Oh dear.

From Bad Blood, Jim Mattis, a former director who now serves as US defence secretary, thinks Ms Holmes has “the most mature and well-honed sense of ethics” he has encountered.

Oh dear.
Probably why he fits in so well with the current administration. HA!

Probably why he fits in so well with the current administration. HA!

Sorry, but only after you have spent more than 15 minutes on active duty in the
U.S. Military in an operational billet will you be qualified to comment on your
perceived deficiencies of GEN Mattis. I won’t even throw in the proviso that
your prior exposure to determined gunfire while trying to keep a number
of young people who are scared to death alive is a further prerequisite. HA!

Sorry, but only after you have spent more than 15 minutes on active duty in the
U.S. Military in an operational billet will you be qualified to comment on your
perceived deficiencies of GEN Mattis. I won’t even throw in the proviso that
your prior exposure to determined gunfire while trying to keep a number
of young people who are scared to death alive is a further prerequisite. HA!
Nope, not how the world works, sorry. He's a public figure now and subject to any and all public scrutiny. That's how life works. You don't need to be a physician to criticize physicians, you don't need to be in the military to criticize members of the military, etc etc.

If you want to subject Mattis to scrutiny, then read the chapter in "Bad Blood" on how he handled the issues that arose with Theranos in the military. Don't go by some cherry-picked out-of-context quote. Let's not sink to the level of twitter bots or cable news stations here.

Any chance Holmes will do the reading for the Audiobook? I'd definite download that for my commute.

If she does do a reading, I hope she uses her real voice. I can't stand listening to her deep voice. Supposedly it is fake.

Funny to look at all the stuff out now. She is probably more (in)famous now than she ever imagined. Perhaps she really won.

I first met her at house party in SV many years ago, she was "sort of" dating my brother of all people mainly I think because he was friends with Zuckerberg and Brin.

I knew she was full of crap then, I went to presentations at Stanford she gave, also knew it was bull**** (at one point a faculty member told me to be quiet because "Bill Clinton really liked her" hahaha). But I figured the adults in the room wouldnt let it get out of hand, I was wrong of course.

My bro still wont admit she is a psychopath and they were actually neighbors until recently in SF.

Funny how this all is rolling out now. I have this incredible "Welcome to the last decade folks" feel about it. Oh well.

Theranos isnt the first scam, wont be the last scam in healthcare.

Funny to look at all the stuff out now. She is probably more (in)famous now than she ever imagined. Perhaps she really won.

I first met her at house party in SV many years ago, she was "sort of" dating my brother of all people mainly I think because he was friends with Zuckerberg and Brin.

I knew she was full of crap then, I went to presentations at Stanford she gave, also knew it was bull**** (at one point a faculty member told me to be quiet because "Bill Clinton really liked her" hahaha). But I figured the adults in the room wouldnt let it get out of hand, I was wrong of course.

My bro still wont admit she is a psychopath and they were actually neighbors until recently in SF.

Funny how this all is rolling out now. I have this incredible "Welcome to the last decade folks" feel about it. Oh well.

Theranos isnt the first scam, wont be the last scam in healthcare.
You move in powerful circles

You move in powerful circles

Not particularly, I have a huge family and even more massive extended family so its more of an odds things, most are fairly intelligent and successful because they are related to me! hahaha

I had to listen to how smart Elizabeth was for over a decade and bite my tongue, so now I guess I won that debate. She is really weird and clearly Asperger's type personality traits like Mark Z, but probably not legitimately evil, although my family put a solid moratorium to her holding any of my baby nieces or nephews! :laugh:

Im a grunt from age where woodland camo was a thing. Of no particular importance to anyone outside my wife and kids.

Is her voice real or show like some people have said?

Wonder how much longer Tesla will be around. That is the company me and my family seem to argue about most. I wouldn't take one of their cars if you gave me one.

Wonder how much longer Tesla will be around. That is the company me and my family seem to argue about most. I wouldn't take one of their cars if you gave me one.

Tesla isn’t going anywhere. Musk is playing the long game and attempting to create an entire global shift away from the internal combustion engine. He has managed to take on this monumental task and done fairly well considering he is trying to upturn an industry(car manufacturing) and an economic system(fossil fuels) that has been built up over the last one hundred years.

Tesla isn’t going anywhere. Musk is playing the long game and attempting to create an entire global shift away from the internal combustion engine. He has managed to take on this monumental task and done fairly well considering he is trying to upturn an industry(car manufacturing) and an economic system(fossil fuels) that has been built up over the last one hundred years.
Using taxpayer grants.I am short TESLA and have been since $350

Using taxpayer grants.I am short TESLA and have been since $350

The subsidized loan guarantees and electric car subsidies are certainly a debatable use of funds. But the simple fact is they’ve delivered a compelling product at a competitive price point that many people want to buy. Personally may be getting one for my next car, though I’d wait for a year after a new model release to sort out the bugs. But while there have been many misses (especially when it comes to delivery dates) what they’ve accomplished is quite remarkable. Whether short or long on them, it’s ridiculous to put them in a thread with essentially fraudulent companies.

The subsidized loan guarantees and electric car subsidies are certainly a debatable use of funds. But the simple fact is they’ve delivered a compelling product at a competitive price point that many people want to buy. Personally may be getting one for my next car, though I’d wait for a year after a new model release to sort out the bugs. But while there have been many misses (especially when it comes to delivery dates) what they’ve accomplished is quite remarkable. Whether short or long on them, it’s ridiculous to put them in a thread with essentially fraudulent companies.

I have also heard from people in the battery industry and I have read in some public sources that their technology and patents are carry a huge evaluation were the company to fold. To say they are smoke and mirrors is ignoring some amazing emerging tech.

Yea I don’t lump Tesla into this category at all.... (no matter that the Model 3 is on my current short list of sedans to look at). He has actually put out compelling technology that is moving the industry forward.

I finally got a chance to watch the recent Theranos documentary on a recent plane trip. Nothing really new from what I’ve read in other articles but still entertaining. Still not sure if she did any of this with evil intent on mind or just lies somewhere on the spectrum and got so focused on “succeeding” that she was delusional and truly thought she was doing something good and had a good product on her hands. I think it’s the later.

The tech may be compelling but the company will not make it in my opinion. My bro in law works for a supplier for the company and has told me some interesting things. I would love for them to survive but NO WAY would I buy one of their cars right now. Plus I am a man so trucks and jeep are more my thing.

Yea I don’t lump Tesla into this category at all.... (no matter that the Model 3 is on my current short list of sedans to look at). He has actually put out compelling technology that is moving the industry forward.

I finally got a chance to watch the recent Theranos documentary on a recent plane trip. Nothing really new from what I’ve read in other articles but still entertaining. Still not sure if she did any of this with evil intent on mind or just lies somewhere on the spectrum and got so focused on “succeeding” that she was delusional and truly thought she was doing something good and had a good product on her hands. I think it’s the later.
She is a sociopath who tried the fake it till you make it SILICON VALLEY mantra on living people

There's something incredibly telling about that statement. And not in a good way.

Look out Webb. The P.C. police have been put on notice with your incredibly telling comment re: jeeps and trucks.

There seems to be a common narrative being spread by Telsa shorts that they are a fraud like Theranos. I have heard that many times. I have also seen them being compared to Bitcoin or other pyramid schemes.
Tesla has issues as a company- specifically that they are heavily cashflow negative, and it is thought that they won't survive because they will burn through all their funds and are losing money with each sale. They can only remain iin business by bond initiatives or stock offerings, and those can erode investor confidence to the point they could lose funding and go out of business despite their success. Other valid criticisms include an acknowledgement that Telsa is novel and groundbreaking, but that once traditional car manufacturers figure out electric vehicles Telsa will be left in the dust. This is pretty speculative but is based on the efficiencies and experiences in manufacturing vs. what is really a tech company, and is seen by difficulties in delays with meeting manufacturing goals.

What really can't legitimately be argued is that Tesla has not been successful at making a desirable product. All their vehicles get excellent reviews, have developed a cult-like following among consumers, and have been ground-breaking technologically. A few years ago the idea of an electric vehicle was a pipe dream. Now it is a practical reality because of this company. Look at their resale values- these cars hold their value significantly better than their competitors.

I agree. I have friends with Tesla’s and while they may be a bit of fan boy effect and cult following in play they all love their cars. I’m obviously considering one and literally only reservation is stability of the company.

Motor trend had a show about EVs recently. Looks like there is more selection from the traditional car companies. Plus you can test drive them. Isn't Tesla going to online sales totally? About the only parallel between Tesla and Theranos is direct to consumer. Bypass the dealer or your doctor.

Motor trend had a show about EVs recently. Looks like there is more selection from the traditional car companies. Plus you can test drive them. Isn't Tesla going to online sales totally? About the only parallel between Tesla and Theranos is direct to consumer. Bypass the dealer or your doctor.
You can definitely test drive a Tesla. It's nothing like Theranos in any way.

Tesla isn't vaporware unlike theranos. They make a better product and have been taking share from the European luxury sedan market for years with model A. Model 3 was the best selling luxury car in the US last year