These 2 week on / 2 week off jobs keep popping up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gasworks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried out one of these types of positions? Most I see are literally in the middle of nowhere in already undesirable states, require you to be on call for 2 weeks straight with some sort of crna primary coverage situation and worst of all they always seem to be hospital employed positions. Three potentially awful things but the lure of essentially 26 weeks of vacation per year always has me thinking about it.

The location thing will always kill it as my wife will always veto a move to BFE, just wondering if anyone can share any experiences on these types of jobs.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it 12 hours day shifts or you're on call 24/7 for two weeks straight?

Knew a guy who did 24/7 with home call one week on, one week off. Quit after a year. Said the whole week was too exhausting.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have quite a few of those jobs geographically close to us. Most of the physicians seem quite happy with them and they have very low turnover. Why do they like it? They are at small hospitals that aren't terribly busy and have very rare call backs at night. The 2 weeks on/off model allows them to have tons of vacation time. The job ends up being too busy for 1 person to staff in 24/7 with only a few weeks of vacation, but essentially sharing the job with another physician makes it quite tolerable for them. They get paid decent money. If they want more they can moonlight on their 26 weeks off.

Call intensity is everything with these jobs.

Reactions: 1 users
This is the kind of job that I have been doing for 10 years now. However it is more like one week on and one week off. However the new administrator wants more and is wanting a second or going, then will be stuck in middle of nowhere. When u become older these jobs are not sustainable.

Any job really.

Not necessarily. My current gig, my call is in house and I fully expect to be up all night, Maybe lay down for 2-3 hours if I am lucky. I expect it. The in house calls are Q8. With Q8 late backup which usually is home by 8 pm with very rare callbacks. We are well compensated for them, and there is ample recovery time.

These rural hospitals one is on call every other night or more commonly a week at a time, frequently more so to allow for vacations. Being called in frequently in the evenings several times per week for surgeon preference, or after midnight more than once a week while being available the next day really takes a toll. It is one thing to be available a lot. Quite another to be available a lot and called on a lot- as opposed to be on call a few times a month and frequently killed those few nights per month and off the rest of the month.

Not necessarily. My current gig, my call is in house and I fully expect to be up all night, Maybe lay down for 2-3 hours if I am lucky. I expect it. The in house calls are Q8. With Q8 late backup which usually is home by 8 pm with very rare callbacks. We are well compensated for them, and there is ample recovery time.

These rural hospitals one is on call every other night or more commonly a week at a time, frequently more so to allow for vacations. Being called in frequently in the evenings several times per week for surgeon preference, or after midnight more than once a week while being available the next day really takes a toll. It is one thing to be available a lot. Quite another to be available a lot and called on a lot- as opposed to be on call a few times a month and frequently killed those few nights per month and off the rest of the month.

If you're q8 and that busy, that would definitely be something I wanted to know before taking the job. The "how often, how busy" is a big deal in the grand scheme of the job quality.

My schedule works out to yours, q8 or so, but I rarely get called in.

This is a doable if it's only for a specific list of emergencies, not midnight abdominal washouts.