These are my stats, what should I aim for on MCAT to solidify my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephanieZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA
~3.7 overall and science

Classes
All the basic requirements, plus histology/cytology, vertebrate physiology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, animal development

Extracurriculars
not much, I did japanese club in freshman year and played intramural rugby and soccer for a few years

Research
one semester working in an on-campus lab and also doing computational chemistry work for a different professor
2 week class/research opportunity working in a neurobiology lab, one of 12 people across the state of LA to be accepted

Other

Took classes and got liscensed to be an EMT-basic. I never actually worked in the field b/c the first time I applied for a job I couldn't pass the physical lift test (180 lbs) necessary. After that I looked for a job but got no offers, then I got pregnant with my daughter and my license expired, so I couldn't renew it without having actually worked int he field. I did get to do ride alongs though as part of the class and I loved it.

I plan to mention the birth of my daughter and going back to school only 6 weeks later (I went took classes in the spring, had her in the summer, and went right back in the fall) and being able to keep my GPA up with the stress of a newborn to highlight how dedicated I am.
I have also worked as a commissioned artist, so I will throw that in for the "well rounded" factor.

I know that I am by no means a stand out applicant. I may do some shadowing this summer if possible to beef up my application, but other than that, I am graduating in december and applying this summer/fall. MCAT (which I take in 2 weeks) is my last chance to solidify my odds. What do you think I should aim for to have at least a 50% chance? I took a practice test and got a 26, but I've been studying and I think I may be able to nail a 30 now. Of course I want to aim as high as I can, but do you think 30 will give me good odds?

I appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Others here know far more than I, but your EC's look pretty bare bones to me.

How much clinical work/shadowing have you done? If you're just starting that up and you already have pretty bare bones EC's then that doesn't reflect so well.

Of course I want to aim as high as I can...

I highly, highly recommend you just do that, and not try to figure out a "target" score. Just do the absolute best that you can. Why would you try for less? Your best possible score will give you the best chances at an acceptance. There are multiple data charts and graphs here:
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/
...that can help you figure out how and where to get to that "50%" number. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Others here know far more than I, but your EC's look pretty bare bones to me.

How much clinical work/shadowing have you done? If you're just starting that up and you already have pretty bare bones EC's then that doesn't reflect so well.

EC's are pretty bad. I was never into them and now wish I had taken the time to join some things and get involved. But there's no use crying over spilled milk.

And of course I am going to try and get the best MCAT score I can. It's just that I'm a numbers person. I'm the type of person who will compute my overall score after every grade I get back so I can say "Okay, this is what I have now, I need at LEAST a xx on this next test to stay in the A range, so lets aim for at least that." Sort of what I'm doing with my MCAT, although I know it's not that clear cut. Being able to do math and percentages just calms me down is all.

Your GPA is average. Do you really mean that you have no medical or community service? If so, your chances of acceptance are extremely slim no matter how high an MCAT. If you are serious, I would suggest you take a year to boost medical experiences and community service.

Your GPA is average. Do you really mean that you have no medical or community service? If so, your chances of acceptance are extremely slim no matter how high an MCAT. If you are serious, I would suggest you take a year to boost medical experiences and community service.

Okay, I appreciate your honest opinion, I will have to decide what to do.

And of course I am going to try and get the best MCAT score I can. It's just that I'm a numbers person. I'm the type of person who will compute my overall score after every grade I get back so I can say "Okay, this is what I have now, I need at LEAST a xx on this next test to stay in the A range, so lets aim for at least that." Sort of what I'm doing with my MCAT, although I know it's not that clear cut. Being able to do math and percentages just calms me down is all.

If you want "good" chances at CA MD programs, you need at least a 35 on the MCAT. Probably not a number that will calm you down, but it is what it is.

If you want "good" chances at CA MD programs, you need at least a 35 on the MCAT. Probably not a number that will calm you down, but it is what it is.

No, it does calm me down, actually. Like I said, I like to kind of have a clear cut goal. I'm about to start taking practice tests and aiming for at least a 35.

And scratch what I said before about deciding what to do. I know what I am going to do. I am applying this summer for early decision for Fall 12. Meanwhile, this summer and fall I will start volunteering and or shadowing. If I don't get accepted to early decision, I will continue to volunteer or shadow for the spring and summer to beef up my application as I reapply with the rest of the applicant pool for Fal 12.

Sound like a plan?

No, it does calm me down, actually. Like I said, I like to kind of have a clear cut goal. I'm about to start taking practice tests and aiming for at least a 35.

And scratch what I said before about deciding what to do. I know what I am going to do. I am applying this summer for early decision for Fall 12. Meanwhile, this summer and fall I will start volunteering and or shadowing. If I don't get accepted to early decision, I will continue to volunteer or shadow for the spring and summer to beef up my application as I reapply with the rest of the applicant pool for Fal 12.

Sound like a plan?

Depends on which program you'll apply EDP. Also, are you applying as an LA resident? For some reason I thought you said CA, but looking through this thread I think I goofed up. If you are applying EDP to Tulane or LSU-BR/NO, you need less than a 35. But hey, it's a great goal ;)

I am not sure I am following your plan. If you apply ED somewhere and dont get in, then you will apply in the same cycle to other schools. There are two problems with that plan. First in order to be competitive to ED you have to have a superior application which I think is a stretch. Second, if you are rejected from the ED school, then the other applications will be in later which is a real disadvantage at most schools. I am not sure I understand your reasoning. If you can get at least a 30 on the mcat and you decide to apply this cylcle, I would suggest applying to as many schools as you can afford and choose schools that are in your range. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am not sure I am following your plan. If you apply ED somewhere and dont get in, then you will apply in the same cycle to other schools. There are two problems with that plan. First in order to be competitive to ED you have to have a superior application which I think is a stretch. Second, if you are rejected from the ED school, then the other applications will be in later which is a real disadvantage at most schools. I am not sure I understand your reasoning. If you can get at least a 30 on the mcat and you decide to apply this cylcle, I would suggest applying to as many schools as you can afford and choose schools that are in your range. Good luck.

Yea I see your point there. So maybe I should forget early decision and just apply for the regular cycle, giving me time to do some shadowing this summer first?