This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.ScroatSac

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read forums again and again, and I see the same thing. What are my chances,,, stats, stats, bull****, more stats. Always playing the algorithms that medical schools use to weed out the weak.
This post is not about my chances of getting into medical school, it's an open invitation to tell me get out the medical field, get a different career.

Right now marks my last year of undergrad. I would be lying if I explained my undergraduate experience as easy.
Due to my parents divorce, I chose to go to community college for my first 2 years. I held down a 3.6 GPA while getting biology 1 and 2, anatomy/physiology, physics 1 and chemistry 1 out of the way. I felt good about all of this and was excited to get to a university.
However, it wasn't going to be that simple. During the divorce, my father told me that he would pay for my associates. However, at the end of my 2 years, I was given a bill of 4,000 dollars which was long overdue. This lead me to work the following year to save up.
Once paid off I went off to the university I reside at now. These next couple years would be a true learning experience. At community college I would do nothing but work on weekends and study during the week. Away at a university, temptation finds you at every which direction.
My first semester was average, I got around a 3.45, and thought I was adjusting quite well. However, the next semester I met the girl of my dreams.
Make a long story short I cheated, we broke up, lots more to story but don't wanna explain. But my last semester of junior year was worst of college career. I went to the bars 3 days a week, drank on the weekends. I ended up dropping my gross anatomy class that at the beginning of the semester was very excited for.
I ended the semester with a 2.5.
So this brings me to present day.

Beginning of this semester (2 months ago) I made an appointment with my pre-med advisor. I was excited to talk to her because I planned on graduating end of the year.
My appointment was disappointing. The advisor told me my acedemic history showed that I was not capable of allopathic/osteopathic school ciriculum. She gave me a card for the career center, and just like that I was weeded out like many wanna-be doctors before me.

Currently I am little past the mid-term of this semester. I currently have an A in Organic Chemistry. I figured out how to be off on my own and balance school with it. I feel that I have finally found core principles/an identity for myself. I did a job shadow in radiology recently and I found a whole new passion for medicine. I was there for 8 hours watching fistulagrapthys and other semi-invasive operations. The 8 hours felt like 2 hours.

Facts
-All I've ever wanted to be during college is a doctor.
-I might not have the pre-med checklist all filled out, but I have real-life experiences.
-Getting good marks in courses is not a persons innate intellect. Instead, I would argue it's A persons hard work and constructive ability to answer to adversity.

-Conclusion

I'm not giving up my dream of becoming a doctor. After my last horrible semester I started looking at other careers, and during the summer I actually decided to try law or clinical psychology. However, start of the semester, I signed up for Organic Chemistry and decided that I was going to go as far as I can go till they weed me out for good. You can spit in my face medicine but it doesn't mean I still don't love ya.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If that 8 hours of shadowing felt like 2 hours instead of only 1 hour, then I’m sorry but medicine may not be for you.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm just curious as to why your posted your story? There's definitely advice to be given, but it seems as if you've already made a decision as to how you want to move forward.

Reactions: 1 users
If you do find yourself looking at other careers, you don’t have to leave medicine. Have you looked into PA school or podiatry as a plan B?

I mean... ok... just go turn it around and actually get good grades because it's a little difficult for admissions counselors to judge your intellect when you're turning in 2.5 GPAs at your 4 year...

-Getting good marks in courses is not a persons innate intellect. Instead, I would argue it's A persons hard work and constructive ability to answer to adversity.

lol what... What adversity are you talking about? You got good grades while going through your parents divorce and then paid off your student loans afterwards. That's great, but then you self sabotaged yourself by partying all the time. You made a choice and you made the wrong ones. Can you turn it around and get an acceptance? Sure. Are you going to convince anyone that you can handle med school, and that you "answered to adversity" by getting drunk 3 days a week? Not a chance.

Reactions: 9 users
This would be a good topic to discuss when asked about ethical problems in your life during interviews. I'm sure plenty of adcoms will recognize how it's good to be nonethical in the best interest of the patient.

"Managing the acute psychotic episode" is a unique hit that comes up when you put the TS in Google Search.

Keep in mind a lot of the people replying are edgy pre meds who are nowhere close to getting into med school. Take their advice with a grain of salt.

I think your story is inspirational.

Wait- Cheated on the girl of your dreams? You deserve these responses L0L. No remorse for cheaters.

Reactions: 3 users
Why would you cheat on the girl of your dreams

I know I'm reading a lot between the lines, but after he said his dad promised to pay for his associated, but then stuck him with an overdue $4k bill without telling him first, makes me suspect that his father-figure was less than an honorable man in more ways than one. And often the leaves don't fall far from the tree.