I'm not in medicine; I'm a chemistry prof (although I do have a lot of premeds in my classes). This thread has provided a lot of comic relief while grading finals.
Maybe this belongs on a teaching forum, but I hope noone minds if I put up a story too. My "brightest" students end up in the ER anyways.
If you're dissolving steel by boiling it in nitric acid, it's ok to pick up the beaker with your bare hands. Only the inside of the glass will be hot. After you drop the hot beaker and spill the boiling nitric acid over your hands, make sure that you clean up the mess of broken glass on your labbench before running your hands under the tap. It's very important that you don't lose points for lab technique.
When you come back to class 9 days later with bandaged hands, ask your instructor to repeat the same lab. She'll let you because you didn't manage to eliminate yourself the first time and you still can use your fingers. This time, you know that the beaker will be hot and you're thinking things through so you know that the bandages on the palms of your hands will work just like oven mitts. Then when you find out that you can feel the heat on your tender palms and spill the boiling acid over your hands again, it's ok, because bandages soak up acid very nicely and you'll have no mess on your bench.
They're out to kill me. Am I being paranoid?