Things I wish I knew at the beginning.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, maybe this exists already. But on the off chance that it doesn't:

Things that, as a non-traditional applicant, I wish I had known when I began.

I was lucky. I had saved up some money and have a very supportive wife and no kids yet. YMMV.

- You can overcome bad grades, I had a lot. Graduated summa cum barely in 1993. I have not yet encountered a question regarding my sordid past in my interviews.

- School is more work than I remembered it being. As a professional for many years, I worked very hard and I often thought wistfully (and inaccurately) of college as a time of carefree drunkenness. Maybe it was, but being a premed is a lot of work. Don't get suckerpunched.

- Take gen chem and physics, then bio and orgo. Try to do it that way since those subjects sorta work together. Do not take biochem without at least orgo I first.

- Orgo will take over your life. Carve out a lot of time for it. Tell your significant other that it's going to be a tough few months.

- Good orgo supplement books - Organic Chemistry as a Second Language.

- Many schools will let you take Biochem to substitute for an orgo class. This may come in handy.

- Try to actually understand what the equations mean in physics even if you can get a decent grade through sheer memorization. It makes studying for the MCAT a lot easier if you have actually puzzled out the underlying logic.

- Except for Enthalpy. Enthalpy will never make sense. Just memorize the equations. I know, that's chem, but whatever.

- The electricity equations actually make sense best if you think about them in terms of Force, Potential Energy and Work (F*d). Things like Voltage and Potential seem less mysterious in this context.

- In anatomy - bring your book to class. Circle the ID#/caption of each picture that the professor puts up on the screen. Then circle the name of each anatomical item that the professor mentions. Focus on these items. This makes it much easier to know what's important and what isn't. There is A LOT that is in the book but can't make it into lecture.

- In anatomy, redux - make your own flashcards. even if you can't draw. draw it anyway. another thing that worked for me: photocopy the pictures from the book. on the photocopy, white out all the names leaving the arrows in. photocopy the new version a bunch of times. fill in the names. over and over again.

- My suggestion: Do not do a 12 month or even 18 month postbacc program. Very hard to get good grades. Very hard to get research experience and volunteer. On the off chance that you make it through with awesome grades, you probably won't have time to study enough to do non-trad well on the MCAT. You also will only be able to take the bare minimum prereqs. I know one guy who pulled it off at my school and he was a genius (and is at Case right now). The other 15 guys who tried it, not so much.

- Kaplan is a waste of money if you understand your classes and studied hard. Start early. Get the Examkrackers books: first, get the subject books that teach the subjects and have little mini-quizzes in them. when you finish a subject book, before moving on to the next subject book, get the 1001 questions book and do all of the questions. Do this for each of the 4 subjects (verbal doesn't have a 1001 book, it's 101 passages or something). Next, get access to some COMPUTER BASED MCATs. I think there are a few sources for this.

- I did 13 computer based MCATs. This is too many by about 7 in my opinion. My scores went like this: 32, 39, 42, 43, 40, 39, 39, 37, 36, 30 and then bounced around 30. I did ok on the real thing, by my point is that I peaked early and just about gave myself a heart attack by overdoing it.

- People will tell you that it doesn't matter where you take your premed courses. It sure doesn't look that way when I look at the interviewee pools I've seen so far. If you can afford it, take your classes at a well-known program.

- If you come from a non-science background try to take extra science classes, especially bio - immuno, physiology, genetics, cell bio, biochem, anatomy, etc. This seems to come up a lot in my interviews, shows interest, dedication, passion, etc. Biochem in the bio department > Biochem in the chem department.

- Go to office hours. Try to get to know your professors by asking intelligent questions there. Recommendations are really important actually. I have fared worse at the schools that don't ask for recommendations before deciding to interview or not.

- Get your recommendations early.

- If you go to Northwestern, do not use the Recommendation File Service. use Interfolio or anything else. hell, use smoke signals or an air horn.

- If you have time: preread for every class. do every problem in the book. it might not help for that class, but when you know the basics cold, the trickiness of the MCAT gets less tricky.

- Get some research experience if you can. One way is to start off as a volunteer in an academic hospital and get to know the attendings. I have found vectors into research work at two hospitals this way. See if your school will let you do an independent study. I did one over the summer and it comes up often in interviews.

- Spend as little time on the Pre-Allo board as possible. There are some seriously malevolent psychotic little bastards on that thing. And a lot of bad/misleading information.

- They really do think of you as adding diversity. And when you sit in a room full of 22 year olds, you'll realize that they're right. It is a huge advantage to have professional and life experience. It won't overcome bad postbacc grades or MCAT, I think, but it definitely puts you in a different category admissionswise.

- The narrative of your life is really important. It's okay that it took you 15 years to figure out what your passion is. But how did it come to you? How was it manifest before now? What have you done (besides your postbacc) to learn about medicine?

- Start working on you personal statement six months before you submit your primary application. Seriously. There are editing companies out there that will take a look and actually make pretty good suggestions. PM me if you want the company i used.

- Some schools will send you a secondary 30 seconds after you submit your primary. Some screen and you won't hear for a while. Some don't screen and you still won't hear for a while (U Colorado comes to mind). I don't know why, but try not to let it get to you.

- Hopkins doesn't email you to tell you to submit your secondary, you have to go to their website and it just says something like "Submit one if you want to." I lost a couple weeks on that one.

- After you are complete, there can be many months of absolute silence. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it's just a silent rejection. The Pre-Allo forum gets into gigantic gordian knots of fury about this - no one really knows what they're talking about - again, just make sure you're complete. The rest is in the hands of your god.

- The interview database here at SDN is actually pretty useful.

- Orgo is tested less and less on the MCAT. My MCAT had 2 orgo passages, my friend's had 1 passage. The material in the last 1/3 of my Orgo sequence was neither on the MCAT nor on the practice materials I had. Which leads me to believe that fate owes me a trimester of my life back.

- Do not buy the Princeton Review 168 Best Medical Schools book. It is absolutely riddled with misinformation, bad stats and math that doesn't add up. Seriously, the Rush curriculum that it outlines hasn't been used there in 8 years. Luckily, I didn't know this and asked a really stupid question during my interview as a result.

Please add to this if you want to. Again, this is just the product of my experience. I have been really lucky in a lot of ways and some folks won't have enough time or resources to jump this many hoops.

cf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
LOL
good post
don't buy any book that says, "100 best schools ...." for anything. Or "Inside tips for X professional school". They just want to sell books. That's it.

p.s. you don't need to take anatomy for medical school...you can take it if you want to but they'll drill plenty of it into you in med school!

Stop watching TV shows like House/Scrubs/ER/etc. They only set you up for disappointment. No grip on reality is strong enough to subconsciously resist hotness and drama presented for maximal entertainment. That will not be your life.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fantastic post!!! I agree with just about everything, especially about Kaplan being horrible, using Examkrackers instead, and recommending the "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" book. I swear by it. I would just add one thing. That feeling you get the first semester of your post-bacc program when you attempt to take difficult science classes for the first time in years, if ever... you know, that overwhelming combination of anxiety, dread, and insecurity? That is NORMAL. Most of us go through it. When I finally realized that I wasn't the only person in the class freaking out, it made it a lot easier. Also, for Orgo- flashcards are your friends :D

- Spend as little time on the Pre-Allo board as possible. There are some seriously malevolent psychotic little bastards on that thing. And a lot of bad/misleading information.

Even though you use the term "orgo", I think I love you...

I didn't understand until it was too late, but you really need to apply in JUNE. Like, the first day. I thought this was wildly exaggerated when I heard it, but now that I've applied myself, I see how true it is.

I filed my AMCAS in late July and didn't get complete anywhere until OCTOBER 1st (my school took forever to send out my committee letter, which cost me a lot of time). By then, some schools I'd applied to were giving out late January and even February interviews--and most schools interview only through March. In other words, the game is almost over and I'm just getting started.

Great thread! I've had so many "if only I'd known this earlier" moments that I've lost count!

I very much agree with what's been said thus far, and I'd like to add a few things:
-You really need to get clinical experience right when you start thinking about doing the whole "med school thing" (this is LOOOOONG before you're ready to apply). Do something on a sustained basis - shadow on a regular basis; start volunteering at a local clinic or hospital; etc. and STICK WITH IT . . . . unless it's a bad experience - then find something else you can stick with and politely move on. This experience should accomplish several things for you: (a) help reinforce your desire to practice medicine and help you know whether you're good with being around sick people (seriously, there are lots of people who think they want to go into medicine, then realize they don't like being around sick people!) (b) help boost your understanding of the healthcare industry/health professions in general (c) show the ADCOMs that you have more than a vague idea of what your getting yourself into (d) give you some real-life experiences to discuss in your PS/secondaries (e) give you an opportunity for a great LOR - particularly if you've been at it for a couple years (f) If it's a volunteer position, show that you're an altruistic person.

- If you're like me and have to work during the post-bacc process, try to get or switch to a job that has some clinical exposure. Remember that you need to be able to "smell the patients" though. I thought I did a good thing getting the job I currently have - my paycheck comes from a medical school, after all! However, I have zero patient interaction or lab work with this job. I've certainly learned a lot, but in retrospect, I wish I'd done my homework and hunted around a bit more. FYI - if you're near a med school, "clinical research patient coordinator" positions are great jobs to get! They often require very little background/training/degrees/etc., and you get both patient and physician contact. Good stuff! (It's the job I'm currently trying to get!)

- If you do have a clinical job, remember to do volunteer work as well. It doesn't have to be medical/clinical - it could be at an animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity, etc. I was told by an asst. dean of admissions at a particular school that volunteer work is critical - if you have a stellar app but no volunteer work, they just plain aren't going to admit you. (They have to eliminate based on something, folks!)

- Develop good study habits!! (I'm still working on this :oops:.) This will not only help you get good grades in your post-bacc classes (which is ESSENTIAL; oh, and good grades = A's), but you're gonna need them for the MCAT and med school as well.

- Start studying for the MCAT earlier than you think you should and DO NOT take it unless you feel very ready and confident (AAMC practice tests should help you gauge this). Oh, and don't let the money you'll lose by cancelling/voiding be a motivator for taking the test when you shouldn't. That money is chump change in this process, but the score lasts FOREVER!

- One final thing. This is personal, but I regret having worked full-time throughout this post-bacc process. Yes, I would have had to take out some loans, but I wish I had cut down to part-time. Full-time job + evening classes + volunteering, etc. = exhaustion + zero desire to study during your very few "free" hours (hence my bad study habits!).

:luck::luck:

I wish I knew from the beginning that most schools don't change their secondary prompts from year to year. Could have gotten a head start on alot of my secondaries and maybe written better essays. (Personally thought my secondary essays ended up being weak for some schools.)

You can overcome bad grades, I had a lot. Graduated summa cum barely in 1993. I have not yet encountered a question regarding my sordid past in my interviews.

How bad could your grades have been if you graduated summa?

Not summa. Summa cum barely. It's humor.

Indeed. At least that's what I was shooting for.

Would second Fogie's comment while I'm here - the prompts don't change much and are widely available. I didn't make much use of this, but I wish that I had.

Also, OHSU is very slow. It's a pretty good bet that you won't hear from them w/r/t asking you to fill out a secondary or w/r/t your interview for quite a bit longer than all your other schools.

Last edited:
Okay, maybe this exists already. But on the off chance that it doesn't:

Things that, as a non-traditional applicant, I wish I had known when I began.

Well, this is seriously one of the best and most useful postings I've ever seen in 5 years of trolling SDN.

Pretty much everything here mirrors my own experience.

I would only add this: for physics and general chem, do as many problems as you can beyond the assigned homework. Do every problem in the textbook, assigned or not. Then go out and buy a some other question book, like the Schaum's books and do every problem in those. Time consuming? Yes, but also highly useful. Physics and general chem are essentially problem-solving courses and the more you do the better you will get and the more you will actually start to understand.

Best wishes to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
i forgot:

in gen chem, you'll eventually run into Acid/Base chemistry, probably in the last 1/3 of the sequence. at first it's just baffling as hell. i'm not even sure why. this is normal. make sure you're comfortable with simultaneous equations and the quadratic formula - easy stuff but maybe just a distant memory.

just keep at it... start with the simple problems (strong acid + strong base) and make sure you understand how they work. don't move on to the next problem until you really understand how you got the answer. if you do enough problems and move through them methodically starting simply, you will eventually have an epiphany and it will just start to make sense.

for weak acids/weak base problems, using Henderson-Hasselbalch is a great shortcut, but don't use it until after you're used to doing the problems the "long" way.

two reasons understanding this stuff is important - it's tested a lot on the MCAT and it forms the basis of the first part of organic chem.

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't understand until it was too late, but you really need to apply in JUNE. Like, the first day. I thought this was wildly exaggerated when I heard it, but now that I've applied myself, I see how true it is.

I filed my AMCAS in late July and didn't get complete anywhere until OCTOBER 1st (my school took forever to send out my committee letter, which cost me a lot of time). By then, some schools I'd applied to were giving out late January and even February interviews--and most schools interview only through March. In other words, the game is almost over and I'm just getting started.

concur -- amazing that the timing is what it is.. turn in primary,wait maybe a few weeks. Turn in secondary, wait another week or two for it to be completed.. then another 1-2 months to be notified of an interview, which is a few weeks out, and if you don't interview before Feb or so you're pretty much interviewing for the waitlist.. being complete in September seems to be too late for some schools, unless one has really stellar stats.

concur -- amazing that the timing is what it is.. turn in primary,wait maybe a few weeks. Turn in secondary, wait another week or two for it to be completed.. then another 1-2 months to be notified of an interview, which is a few weeks out, and if you don't interview before Feb or so you're pretty much interviewing for the waitlist.. being complete in September seems to be too late for some schools, unless one has really stellar stats.

Bolded is how it works when you apply in June. When you apply in July, August, September then it takes 6-8 weeks for the primary to be verified, then another 6-8 weeks for secondaries to come, then another 6-8 weeks to find out about interviews. You want to be ahead of the pile.

Thanks this thread will be a staple in my what not/to do list in applying this up and coming cycle.

Amen to that!

I wish I had known at the beginning that I should have been a theater major rather than an engineering major

Remember to focus on the physical sciences section of the MCAT too- speaking from experience!

Ask for LOR before the end of spring semester and get addresses for everywhere you want letters to go. Schools' letter requirements rarely change, and as long as you have an AMCAS/AACOMAS ID number attached to it, letters can go out in advance of receiving a secondary (like mid-June). This helps to avoid the "I've been complete for 4 days/2 weeks/2 months, but my professor/supervisor/physician I shadowed hasn't finished the letter yet" :mad:

Complete secondary apps, then walk AWAY from them for a day. Return, proofread like your life depends on it, then submit the app. That extra day is hard, but it is better than a glaring error on the app.

Find a way to occupy your time while waiting for responses- you will drive yourself crazy if you stalk your email. (Time is also rumored to stand still when we do this.)

Practice, practice, practice interview questions/answers. Write them out, review them the night before interviews. Try hard as you might, at some point on interview day, the "I need to be perfect/can't blow this/this determines the rest of my life" bug will hit. It is great when it happens at the beginning of the day, but if it is during the interview, your prep will come back to you quickly.

Wear comfortable clothes- and ladies, laugh at all fellow female applicants in too high, too pointy heels. Come on now- did they really not realize they would be walking all over campus in those brand-new, never-worn shoes?

OChem is all about memorization first semester, then gets into a combination of memorization and reasoning second semester. I second (or third?) the flashcards. I think I still have a 6 inch stack from second semester laying around. :oops:

Complete secondary apps, then walk AWAY from them for a day. Return, proofread like your life depends on it, then submit the app. That extra day is hard, but it is better than a glaring error on the app.

This is great advice. Wish I had followed it.

If you come from a non-science background try to take extra science classes, especially bio - immuno, physiology, genetics, cell bio, biochem, anatomy, etc

This seems like a great idea. Too bad it's a little too late for me.

Ask for LOR before the end of spring semester and get addresses for everywhere you want letters to go. Schools' letter requirements rarely change, and as long as you have an AMCAS/AACOMAS ID number attached to it, letters can go out in advance of receiving a secondary (like mid-June). This helps to avoid the "I've been complete for 4 days/2 weeks/2 months, but my professor/supervisor/physician I shadowed hasn't finished the letter yet"

I will start working on it first thing next year :thumbup:

- If you come from a non-science background try to take extra science classes, especially bio - immuno, physiology, genetics, cell bio, biochem, anatomy, etc. This seems to come up a lot in my interviews, shows interest, dedication, passion, etc. Biochem in the bio department > Biochem in the chem department.

This is definitely true. It has come up in all my interviews. The extra classes might help you on the MCAT, and they will absolutely help you avoid the "I see you haven't taken any advanced biology..." questions in your interviews.

Another thing I STRONGLY recommend is to be willing to walk away if med school's not REALLY what you want. My MD/PhD faculty surgeon housemate says that all the way through med school and residency and beyond, there's no if, it's WHEN you want to quit, as in every other day. You can't do medicine for any other reason (money, prestige, parents) than that YOU really rabidly want the job that's on the other side of 7-12 years of training where you don't sleep, don't get paid or get paid crap, and everything else in your life falls by the wayside. (Are you willing to get fat for this? Are you willing to give up your basketball time to save your marriage? Are you willing to miss your kids' piano recitals? Are you willing to let attendings walk all over you, day after week after year?)

I have nothing but respect for my premed colleagues who've said "nope, this isn't the right thing to do" and walked away after going for it hard.

yea I remember someone had suggested Kaplan classes for when I was studying for the ACT, my uncle had taken Kaplan (I believe for the MCAT) and he said it didn't help much. I ended up just going to the library and getting a computer test software which was great.

--Don't just not spend time on pre-allo, don't spend any time here either.

--Use sdn with full isolation precautions. Search facts and things you need to know, decontaminate yourself, and split.

--get yourself a paid adviser. I'm using Mededits with Dr. Freedman. You want that type of relationship--both an advocate and a professional--who will talk to you straight.

--Don't hang out with premeds. Well maybe a buddy or two, but treat them all like psychotic little ambitious sociopaths they are, and your less likely to be subsumed into a stressful culture. Age will not make you immune to other people's stress. Go to class and get the hell out of there. Study by yourself if need be.

--Don't let other people describe for you what is possible for yourself. No matter how sensible they sound. You have to be f'n weid to want to do this anyway so as a semi-religious fanatic you don not need sensible advice. If wanted a sensible life you wouldn't be doing this at this age.

Reactions: 1 users
I wish I had known at the beginning that I should have been a theater major rather than an engineering major

Amen. Me, I should have been a psychology, or maybe a linguistics, major.

Amen. Me, I should have been a psychology, or maybe a linguistics, major.

Scratch that, I wish I had known the winning numbers of last month's Powerball lottery drawing.

well ive done exactly that: im taking 12 hours of sciences now and working full time and applying. however, i have A's in every class and will have done 42 hours of post bacc work with a 3.93 (assuming i keep A's). Ive taken an above poster's advice by taking the most difficult science courses i could find. i'm going to update the schools at the end of this semester. i know it will be late but i hope it can help me somewhat. if not, caribbean it is! I hope my 13 publications helps as well.

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

it's a survey of med students asking them their views on various aspects of their programs. of course, it's not scientific, the sample sizes are small and there are all kinds of likely biases, but i've been looking for something like this for a while. might be of some use to y'all.

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

it's a survey of med students asking them their views on various aspects of their programs. of course, it's not scientific, the sample sizes are small and there are all kinds of likely biases, but i've been looking for something like this for a while. might be of some use to y'all.

I stumbled across the AMSA surveys a few months ago. (Didn't mention them here because I honestly thought everyone else knew about them already!) I agree, the sample sizes are small for most schools, so you shouldn't pay too much attention to the numerical data. But I found the narrative sections (what do you like most/least about your school, additional comments) to be invaluable. The students who filled out these surveys were very honest and straightforward about what they saw as the strong and weak points of their schools, and in many cases there are multiple responses saying similar things, which gives you some sense that the comments are credible.

Just an FYI: because some schools have changed their names, they can be hard to find in the list. Examples: Drexel is listed as MCP/Hahnemann, and Rosalind Franklin is called Finch...

I am more of a lurker than a poster here, but I need to express my appreciation for this thread. Being a nontrad is hard -- I often feel like I'm trying to reinvent the wheel -- so I'm very grateful for the advice. Thank you.

Also, Cremaster: you have the best username ever. Seriously.

hahaha, this is a terrific thread :)

I agree that orgo takes up a lot of time, but I am used to that. I did mechanical engineering in undergrad and I can tell you that it was like taking 3 o-chem classes at once.

The only thing I'm worried about is my undergrad GPA. The program I went to was kind of crazy in that most classes weren't curved. Exam averages hovered around the 50s for most courses...so you were basically top 5% of the class if you scored 70s on exams (and yes, many people failed several classes). But a 74 average still only got you a C in the course and is why I graduated with only a 3.4 :(

I know that looks crappy next to premed grades, but hopefully my 3.9 post-bac gpa will convince them I'm not an idiot. And then there's that silly MCAT thing... ;)

I'll add my thoughts:

- If you're doing a postbacc, go somewhere with other postbaccs. Nothing has been more helpful at school than having other postbaccs and nontrads to work and study with.

- When you face your first exam in 10 years, you will worry that you gave up everything you had and are about to blow it all on one stupid genetics exam. Your fear motivated you to study. You will do well.

-Conversely, you will also face an exam that destroys you. You can and will recover.

- It turns out that studying hard is like a legal form of cheating. You may well wonder why you didn't do this well in undergrad. It won't be effortless, but you'll make it look like it is.

- MCAT prep courses are good if you need someone to pace you (I sure as **** did.) Otherwise, some prep books and tons of practice.

- I wish I'd known how long I was going to spend as a postbacc. I would have gotten a second degree.

- I wish I'd understood how important (and fun!) clinical work is.

I also don't really see the problem with the pre-allo forum. As long as you know that some of the stuff they are talking about just doesn't apply to you.

yet another thing i forgot to mention:

- i went to my MCAT center the week before the test just to get a feeling for the place. it settled me down a bit on the real day to know the layout, where the bathrooms are, layout of the testing rooms, etc.

- i asked them if i could see the earphones they give you for the test. they're obviously different than what you're used to practicing with, so it gave me a little feeling for what it would feel like on the real day and how much quiet i could count on.

- more importantly, the receptionist mentioned to me that if you get there a little early you can ask them to change your seat to one far away from the front door. i did this and i think it made a real difference for me. near the end of each section (when you are likely at your most stressed) there are people streaming out of the testing room to take their break. my little corner at the end of a row was completely untrammeled.

it just occurred to me that this is no longer "things I wish I'd known" but rather "pedantic pearls of wisdom from a guy who's not even finished with this process"... ah well, sorry.

Last edited:
- more importantly, the receptionist mentioned to me that if you get there a little early you can ask them to change your seat to one far away from the front door. i did this and i think it made a real difference for me. near the end of each section (when you are likely at your most stressed) there are people streaming out of the testing room to take their break. my little corner at the end of a row was completely untrammeled.

Totally true in every way. Get that seat in the back of the room, folks! I got it by accident without asking and I am SO glad.

Heh, I'd also like to add that I thoroughly enjoyed this point (even though most of my posts have been in pre-allo). :thumbup:

I wish I'd known my biological clock would be ticking like mad right now.

- People will tell you that it doesn't matter where you take your premed courses. It sure doesn't look that way when I look at the interviewee pools I've seen so far. If you can afford it, take your classes at a well-known program.

That makes sense.
But what happens if you have a perfect GPA and a perfect MCAT score, yet you are applying to a 3rd tier med school. Do you think they would care (if your premed courses were taken someplace less ideal)?

I wish I'd known my biological clock would be ticking like mad right now.

LOL!!!!!!! :lol:

I'm too poor right now for mine to be . . . which begs the question, will it ever? :rolleyes::laugh:.

Here's another thing I wish I'd known about sooner: SDN!! (although I'm preaching to the choir here. ;)) I have a feeling I could have saved myself from having to reapply this year if I had discovered SDN when I was first starting out with my post-bacc.

That makes sense.
But what happens if you have a perfect GPA and a perfect MCAT score, yet you are applying to a 3rd tier med school. Do you think they would care (if your premed courses were taken someplace less ideal)?

I'm not exactly going to answer this question (I don't know the answer, but my guess is "no" unless it's a CC), because I think there are some other things that would be at issue in such a situation.

If you have a near perfect GPA and MCAT, the 3rd tier school may not consider your app very seriously. (As it's been explained to me anyway) They will figure that you will be more interested in more prestigious/competitive schools, and they would rather give their interviews/acceptances to people who really want to go to their school (not to say that you don't, but they don't know that).

Now back to the main topic,
I wish I'd known that coordinating with my partner's job application process would be this impossible. I could have saved a lot of money and grief.

cf

lol. Considering how I know how competitive they can be in real life I don't doubt it for a second the character traits that can come out.

This was great. However, it is possible to use it to your advantage:

- When on SDN, read 10 times more than you post.

- Use the search function extensively to find out about any specific topic you're interested in.

- When you do ask a question, make sure that you ask it in any other forum than the Pre-allo. If you think that a pre-med can answer your question, then you have not done your homework enough. If you're short on time and want to ask questions that are not that important to you, ok, fine.

- Make sure that you are not limited only to one subforum. Read threads in the Allo, MCAT, and even Residency suforums. I have learned so much from there.

- When you go to any forum, sort all the threads by the number of replies, views, and rating. Usually the most viewed threads are the most useful ones.

- DO NOT rely on your memory. When you see something interesting on SDN, WRITE IT DOWN in a word processor and put the hyperlink as to where you saw the information. Right now I have a 24 page Word document consisting of 10,035 words (over 50,000 characters) that consist of nothing but useful infromation I have gathered from SDN over the past eight months. That information is not completely organized yet, but once my application cycle arrives, I will post the entire document.

A link to this thread, along with some of the recommendations here, goes into my file right now.

A link to this thread, along with some of the recommendations here, goes into my file right now.

Ah, yes, good to see somebody is as obsessive as info as I have been.

That said, SDN should be, at most, 1/3 of the info you absorb about the career you're taking on. Make damned sure you know what you're getting into.
- Read books (actual books) about med ed, health policy, physician memoir. Start with Iserson.
- Read medical practitioner blogs. Start with kevinmd.
- Read the newspaper, specifically anything about health, and secondarily anything about economics. Start with NYT or WSJ, better yet both.
- Find at LEAST one physician mentor that you can talk to in person. Find somebody who can get to know you, that you can be honest with, who will be honest with you.

SDN is anonymous, particulate matter. You have to own it more than SDN can allow.

hm very good points made by the 2 previous posters... i think ill start my own ongoing word file starting w/ the info from the op.

Stop watching TV shows like House/Scrubs/ER/etc. They only set you up for disappointment. No grip on reality is strong enough to subconsciously resist hotness and drama presented for maximal entertainment. That will not be your life.

You mean real female doctors don't look like Number 13 or Cameron? Damn, I quit. :laugh:

this info is per adcoms i've spoken with

"community college classes are fine as long as you do well in them"

huge money saver and I have learned more in my CC classes than undergrad

also, retakes help your GPA, which is the first thing adcoms see . . . this I learned from you wonderful folks.