You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Things I won't miss about prelim IM...
Started by DrZeke
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Heme/onc....1st rotation...4 hours sleep...pricelessThings I won't miss about prelim IM...everything.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The social work. It was so much fun figuring out the logistics of getting a pt IV abx at an outpatient dialysis center over a holiday weekend.
I felt the warm fuzziness swell up inside me just by typing that.
I felt the warm fuzziness swell up inside me just by typing that.
What specialty are you in?Sheer joy builds up inside me everytime I walk into the hospital for a consult and pass the medicine residents with the knowledge that I am no longer bound to the wards/floors and can leave at any time :-D
If you did it right, you shouldn't ever actually be in the hospital. I can count on one finger the number of times I've ever seen a Derm, Ophtho, Rad Onc, Rads, Gas resident on "the floor".Sheer joy builds up inside me everytime I walk into the hospital for a consult and pass the medicine residents with the knowledge that I am no longer bound to the wards/floors and can leave at any time :-D
Last edited:
What specialty are you in?
Ophtho. We have hospital consults.
Absolutely. Every. Single. Thing.
I really don't see how I'm going to make it through the year. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.
I really don't see how I'm going to make it through the year. Glad to know I'm not alone in this.
If you did it right, you shouldn't ever actually be in the hospital. I can count on one finger the number of times I've ever seen a Derm, Ophtho, Rad Onc, Rads, Gas resident on "the floor".
Don't gas residents go to the floor to do post anesthesia exams? Sure, it's like 1 minute at worse consisting of "Any problems, sore throat, difficulty breathing? Awesome, let me listen to your lungs," but they're on the floors on occasion.
Isn't that what the PACU is for?Don't gas residents go to the floor to do post anesthesia exams? Sure, it's like 1 minute at worse consisting of "Any problems, sore throat, difficulty breathing? Awesome, let me listen to your lungs," but they're on the floors on occasion.
Isn't that what the PACU is for?
When I did a rotation in anesthesia in med school the residents would do some on POD 1. I'm not sure what the criteria was for that, but it wasn't rare for them to pop upstairs for 15 minutes between cases and knock them out.
CMS requires a post anesthesia evaluation within 48 hrs of leaving the PACU for all inpatients who have received anesthesia; so yes, you do see anesthesia on the wards. You'll also see them there for removal/manipulating epidurals.Isn't that what the PACU is for?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 8K