Things to ask about in job interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyDocMan1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the more experienced people here, any thoughts about specific setups to try to avoid, contract pitfalls, or any negative aspects of PCCM jobs that you've only found out after signing the contract?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
if you’re inpatient for icu nights , and if it’s not you, who is covering icu nights. do you have APP? what is the structure for APP? are you shift work. are you covering pulm consults while doing icu. is your clinic time protected or do you also have to work the hospital. how many patients per day do you see in clinic. what are your ancillary resources in the hospital.
etc

Members don't see this ad :)
Few more I asked about:

1. How many nights/month are you on call and/or in house (if in the ICU)? Is that directly specified in your contract or is it subject to "the hospital's staffing needs"?
2. How many sites are you covering? Is all your work at 1 clinic + 1 hospital or are there multiple hospitals you may cover?
3. Compensation - how is it determined? Pure RVU? Pure hourly? Base + RVU? If there is an RVU component at all, how is your $/RVU calculated (i.e. is it based on billing vs collections, is it a set % of MGMA or other survey)? And what is the general % of collections vs billed? Cause billing at 90th percentile MGMA working 80 hours/week doesn't matter if the collection rate is 10th percentile.
4. What's the minimum number of RVU's you are obligated to generate for the bonus portion (if it exists)? If you're covering multiple hospitals, how does the payor mix vary? Your compensation could be hugely different if as the "new guy" you are staffing the hospital with the worse payor mix.

If anybody is interested. I started my own pulmonary critical care group that has exploded on the scene of Las Vegas. This will be a turnkey partnership opportunity with high percentage of billing. There is an associate outpatient pulmonary practice to complement hospital, long-term acute care facility, skilled nursing facility, rehabilitation. Three mid-level support providers also exist. There’s a strong possibility of picking your own schedule and being your own boss essentially. Earning potential is half $1 million and up. If anyone is interested please private message me.