Things to buy before school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lcollier7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I was accepted and will begin school at PCOM-ga next August. I was wondering is there any recommended things to purchase over the next year prior to school starting in order to not have to spend a huge lump sum at once when school begins. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing in my opinion. If you're worried about the financial hit, just start saving up now.

Costa Rican coffee beans. . .lots of them! And, a coffee bean grinder if you don't have one yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I was accepted and will begin school at PCOM-ga next August. I was wondering is there any recommended things to purchase over the next year prior to school starting in order to not have to spend a huge lump sum at once when school begins. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Make sure you have a reliable car. If you got a notebook computer. Those were my two most important items.

I wouldn't buy anything tech related until school starts, since it'll depreciate faster. Don't buy any tools either, since you'll probably be able to get it cheaper through bulk purchasing at your school.

Most people use a Grant's or Netter's anatomy Atlas. There are some anatomy apps if you have a tablet.
As far as textbooks go, wait to see what the course recommends, and talk to second years.

Oh, and a good pair of headphones.

Ok thanks for all the advice! I'll start stock piling coffee ;)

Get a backup hard drive if you don't have one. You'll be accumulating a lot of stuff (mostly useless once you're finished).

I wouldn't buy anything tech related until school starts, since it'll depreciate faster. Don't buy any tools either, since you'll probably be able to get it cheaper through bulk purchasing at your school.

Most people use a Grant's or Netter's anatomy Atlas. There are some anatomy apps if you have a tablet.
As far as textbooks go, wait to see what the course recommends, and talk to second years.

Oh, and a good pair of headphones.

With the exception of Anatomy books, I never found any of my textbooks useful. I usually studied the professor's power points and did well on exams.

Crockpot - perfect for having a home cooked meal at end of day
Keurig coffee maker and lots of pods
Highlighters
Post it flags
Giant white board and markers
Pens notebooks etc

No suggestions on what to buy.

I do suggest you learn to drink your coffee black.

Reactions: 3 users

I definitely agree. All that junk people put it in will start to accumulate all over your body over time. It took me about two weeks to fully adjust to drinking it black, but I love it now!

Crockpot - perfect for having a home cooked meal at end of day
Keurig coffee maker and lots of pods
Highlighters
Post it flags
Giant white board and markers
Pens notebooks etc

The crock pot is your friend. It's what I use when I'm out on a job site. It's wonderful. Prep the night before, plug it in when you walk out the door. Did it this morning: stew meat, potatoes, carrots, squash. Gravy packet added this am.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's gross. Never got into it. 2 sugars and a splash of milk for me.
I'm in the same boat except I use non-fat cream.

No suggestions on what to buy.

Why? Economic reasons? Health reasons?

I definitely agree. All that junk people put it in will start to accumulate all over your body over time. It took me about two weeks to fully adjust to drinking it black, but I love it now!
Is this for real, or just extra calories?

If it's more than just calories, I would go black coffee but if it's just taste, then I'll stick with my preferences :p

I'm in the same boat except I use non-fat cream.

Why? Economic reasons? Health reasons?

Is this for real, or just extra calories?

If it's more than just calories, I would go black coffee but if it's just taste, then I'll stick with my preferences :p
health, convenience, your friends are more likely to pick you up a coffee if you have an easy order

So I already have Netters Anatomy Atlas and McMinns Anatomy books should these suffice as far as anatomy books are concerned?

Did you just stop using creamer cold turkey??? If so that sounds insane! Haha I've tried so hard to cut down on creamer but have never liked the taste of black coffee but I wish I did for less calories and convenience sake

So I already have Netters Anatomy Atlas and McMinns Anatomy books should these suffice as far as anatomy books are concerned?

BRS Anatomy is mandatory, IMO. I would also recommend Gray's Clinical Anatomy Review for practice questions, but hold off on that one and wait to see if your class makes a joint Dropbox account or something.

A comfy desk chair, quality coffee maker, and gym membership are always good.

Oh and bath and body works kitchen lemon soap and a good hand cream. Use the cream before anatomy lab to help minimize smell transference through gloves into hands and use the soap afterward to help cut thru the smell on your hands after lab

Did you just stop using creamer cold turkey??? If so that sounds insane! Haha I've tried so hard to cut down on creamer but have never liked the taste of black coffee but I wish I did for less calories and convenience sake

Yup, I just quit abruptly as I don't think they have Chantix for coffee. As much coffee as I like to drink, the calories and fat were just adding up from the sugar and creamer. I really do prefer the taste of black coffee now because I like to experience the actual taste of the different varieties of coffee beans. Not to say that I do not occasionally treat myself to a pumpkin spice or gingerbread latte. =)

Organic MCT oil and Grass fed butter is the best thing you can add to coffee.

Reactions: 1 users
well the coffee part is covered....only thing i can add is if you can, find out what books are absolutely necessary and look into ordering the international editions. they cost a fraction of the price of buying them here and are the same material.
you'll need extra time b/c they take a while to ship with free/cheap shipping and no point in saving money on the book only to spend it on shipping.

I second a Keurig. If I could have one wish, it would be that my keurig turned into a woman so I could leave my wife and be with her forever.

Lube...................Lots and lots of it

MS1-2: Many of the textbooks you'll need will be widely available at either the library or through friends (PDF). Don't purchase anything until you feel you'll actually use it.

MS3-4: A stethoscope is all that you need. Vibration forks, reflex hammer, pregnancy wheel, pen light, and Rosenbaum visual acuity card are all pretty cheap and useful. I would recommend against purchasing an ophthalmoscope/otoscope set or any other high priced item - many of these will be widely available throughout the clinics and hospitals you will rotate through. Then again, you will likely be either donated a stethoscope (or provided one through some organization subscription) and other items before 3rd year rotations anyway.

BRS Anatomy is mandatory, IMO. I would also recommend Gray's Clinical Anatomy Review for practice questions, but hold off on that one and wait to see if your class makes a joint Dropbox account or something.

Should BRS Anatomy be purchased new or used (does it have online resources that require an access code?)?

Should BRS Anatomy be purchased new or used (does it have online resources that require an access code?)?

Used is fine. It's a small supplemental book for clinical correlates, not a huge hardcover with online access and whatnot. If you know BRS cold, you'll do extremely well in anatomy.

Ok thanks for all the advice! I'll start stock piling coffee ;)
I bought my computer in the spring because I had access to cheap software at the time. Otherwise, you might as well wait to buy a computer. The mode of transportation is important so make sure you have a good way to get to and from school. Like people said, save as much money now as you can. Moving expenses are a pain. My school gave us an opportunity to buy our equipment as a group and it was cheaper than buying it through amazon or ebay. If you like test review books like BRS or pretest, you could put them on your amazon wishlist or just keep an eye out for deals. I know certain times of year books have a tendency to drop in price, if you buy used.

You're saying we need to get that BRS before med school?

Oh god no. Please don't read that before med school but do have it for when class starts. It's great for clinical correlates and high yield summaries - something that won't make sense without a stronger foundation.

I was replying specifically to a question about what books to have for M1 if someone was to start purchasing them beforehand. Have the book for anatomy and read it as you go but definitely don't read it beforehand. My apologies if that was unclear.

a ticket to a different career before your loans kick in? (semi-serious)

Organic MCT oil and Grass fed butter is the best thing you can add to coffee.
Most definitely (as long as you blend the ish out of it). Bulletproof baby!

Most definitely (as long as you blend the ish out of it). Bulletproof baby!
no. just get actual strong coffee and put a little real sugar...none of that fake sh1t. stevia is fine. and when i say strong coffee im talking Brazilian..the best coffee in the world

i never used BRS and did well.

you should also note that the AOA gave out free copies of Netters last year. some students love it and others do not.

it is possible to do well in anatomy with Netters and google searches. i would recommend supplementing with Rohen over BRS. there may or may not be a digital copy of Rohen floating around the inter web.

no. just get actual strong coffee and put a little real sugar...none of that fake sh1t. stevia is fine. and when i say strong coffee im talking Brazilian..the best coffee in the world

MCT/coconut oil and grass fed butter. No sugar. Blend. BOOM!

MCT/coconut oil and grass fed butter. No sugar. Blend. BOOM!
Noooooo:( if you put that crap in Brazilian coffee you would ruin its integrity. Lol. How dare you. You can put it in that watered down folgers ****. The only American coffee I respect is dunkin donuts turbo. It's actually good! You ever been to cafe du monde in New Orleans? Everybody foams at the mouth at that place, but I went there and the coffee is crap. Watered down bitter as hell. Oh well, those South Americans know what they are doing!

Noooooo:( if you put that crap in Brazilian coffee you would ruin its integrity. Lol. How dare you. You can put it in that watered down folgers ****. The only American coffee I respect is dunkin donuts turbo. It's actually good! You ever been to cafe du monde in New Orleans? Everybody foams at the mouth at that place, but I went there and the coffee is crap. Watered down bitter as hell. Oh well, those South Americans know what they are doing!
folgers? no way! only good stuff! about to start roasting the green beans myself actually. french press them bad boys after a good coarse grind. (this was a really bad thread derail btw… or good if you're a coffee geek!).

I'm buying a PS4 and video games. My plan is to game as much as humanly possible before school starts and i have to start being a grown up again.

Reactions: 3 users
folgers? no way! only good stuff! about to start roasting the green beans myself actually. french press them bad boys after a good coarse grind. (this was a really bad thread derail btw… or good if you're a coffee geek!).
Once you go Latin, you never go back!

You ever been to cafe du monde in New Orleans? Everybody foams at the mouth at that place, but I went there and the coffee is crap. Watered down bitter as hell.
That wasn't coffee, it was chicory. It's an acquired taste. And I drink it every day.

As for the OP, the only thing you should buy before med school is a ticket to someplace you've always wanted to visit. Vacations will only become more scarce as time goes on.

I'm partial to beans from Central America, but Brazilian coffee is definitely yummy too.

Any advice? PCOM-GA is one of my top choices and I will be applying Fall 2015

I'm buying a PS4 and video games. My plan is to game as much as humanly possible before school starts and i have to start being a grown up again.

Really intelligent...go waste a bunch of money on a video game system for a few months. Spend as much of your time as possible in an imaginary world, maybe you could find a game that slaughters babies.

Really intelligent...go waste a bunch of money on a video game system for a few months. Spend as much of your time as possible in an imaginary world, maybe you could find a game that slaughters babies.

Whats wrong with video games? They have kept me sane through school, and now I have all the time in the world to play them before residency starts. I need to keep my skills up so I can kick my future kids' butts and not be a lame dad. I think a ps4 is a great investment!

Reactions: 1 users
Any advice? PCOM-GA is one of my top choices and I will be applying Fall 2015
Do well on your MCAT and apply early on! Also I'm pretty sure being from GA helps but it's definitely not a deal breaker. The interview was veryyyy laid back and the students helped keep everyone calm and not quite so nervous while we waited to be interviewed