Things you regret not doing in college

Started by Az1698
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wish I had done more of the things that were heavily subsidized by the school and that are out of my price range now that I'm not in college:

Pilot's lisence
Sky Diving
Sailing
Study abroad


I wish I hadn't wasted my first summer of college. Study abroad, or something. If you're planning going to med school one day you should be smart enough to realize your HS friends suck without going home and finding out first hand.

Finally, and this isn't a regret since I did do it, but I seriously recommend you join a fraternity/sorority. At least go to rush and seriously consider it. I did all kinds of crap in college, but looking back that's where most of my best memories, stories, and friends came from.

couldn't agree more. I love my Bros.

Also, I wish I would have stayed on campus more summers, it's so much fun!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
couldn't agree more. I love my Bros.

Also, I wish I would have stayed on campus more summers, it's so much fun!


God, man, I understand. I am a third year med student. But, sure, sometime, I just miss by bros, I can't sleep, I just think about those guys. Are they thinking about me? Not???

Reality check, boys. Jump out of bed and lets get on with life. With the girls.
 
I wish I hadn't taken any honors science classes as a freshman and I generally wish I hadn't ****ed up my first year. In that vein, I wish I hadn't taken 18 hours my second semester. I wish I would've majored in Philosophy from the outset instead of having to stick with biology because my sGPA needs resurrection. I wish I hadn't roomed with a friend from H.S. my first year. I wish I'd started volunteering as a freshman. Basically I have no regrets since my freshman year but that year really set me back a great deal. Here's to fewer regrets as I start my junior year.
 
Studied abroad. Taken more interesting anthropology courses.
1) Entering as an anthropology major instead of changing to it 2 years in, I guess that's what college is for, though.
2) Studied abroad for a semester, interned in DC for a semester. Only possible if #1 had happened, studying in Australia this summer but would've been cooler for a semester.
 
i wish i had done more guitar, acappella, piano, photography, and travelling
 
wish I wouldn't have started that fight club.... It was nothing like the movie.
 
Though this is totally cliche to say, it's true: I wish I had studied abroad.

I wish I had stuck with orchestra; I played violin up through freshman year. As some other posters noted, it's so easy to stop doing things you once enjoyed when you get to college, even though the opportunity is still there.
 
I wish I did better in school. Because I ended up doing everything else, I put my grades in the back burner. Oh well, I'll do better in medical school and other future academic endeavors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish I had gone through the EMT certification process as well as at least dabbled in another language that wasn't Spanish. Not really regrets, per se, but these were things that I just never got around to doing.
 
Though this is totally cliche to say, it's true: I wish I had studied abroad.

I wish I had stuck with orchestra; I played violin up through freshman year. As some other posters noted, it's so easy to stop doing things you once enjoyed when you get to college, even though the opportunity is still there.

I was a music major through my sophomore year, but taking college-level violin lessons while knowing you aren't going into performance makes playing so much less enjoyable. I hope you still play every once in a while.

Also, hearing everyone say that they wished they had studied abroad makes me really glad I decided to take an extra year so I can study in Japan for a semester.

I wish I had taken my pre-req classes seriously and did better in them.
 
This is going to sound horrible, but I wish I would have had sex with a greater variety of people. I had the same incredibly religious girlfriend all through undergrad, and now that we've broken up I've realized exactly what I had been missing. Ah, well. It's never too late to sew your wild oats, am I right?!
 
This is going to sound horrible, but I wish I would have had sex with a greater variety of people. I had the same incredibly religious girlfriend all through undergrad, and now that we've broken up I've realized exactly what I had been missing. Ah, well. It's never too late to sew your wild oats, am I right?!

Word, bro.
 
Top ten Things I wish I had done in College:

10) Ate less fast food
9) Partied much less
8) Taken evening classes
7) Taken breeze courses the first year
6) Gone to class
5) Lived off campus freshman year and thereafter
4) Avoid listening to false advice from naysayers. Beware!
3) Dated a smart, sober girl.
2) # 9 again
1) Storm the football field and take down the goal post!
 
Honestly? Not snapping up one of my professor's hints at a date.
But I'm happily married now to the most wonderful man so it's whatever.

I also wish I had partied a little less, and didn't get so sloshed that I now have to worry about what pictures might end up somewhere someday (not too bad but still).

But let me tell you what I don't regret: saving up every cent for travel and not being afraid to put myself out there and meeting lots of new people of all different ages. I've met great people because I'm not scared to put myself out there: Most memorable being a holocaust survivor that I met in Germany and i stayed with her for the weekend, a Navajo code talker, a battle of the bulge paratrooper nazi POW etc. find what you're passionate about (for me it's WWII era history) and get out there and meet new people. Don't be afraid to venture from college kids, I've had more fun going out with some 60, 70 or 80 year olds than my peers just because of all of their great stories.
 
Last edited:
I definitely regret not studying abroad and not pleasure reading more. I could have used a good novel to break up all of the textbook reading, but I never made the time.

Also, I know it's already been said here, but I would highly recommend rushing a fraternity or a sorority. I'm not saying you have to pledge, but at least rush so you can see that greek life isn't all about partying and drinking. It was by far the best decision I have made in my college career.
 
I wish I'd have stopped playing videogames so much, I might have made an A/B (semester) in Orgo rather than a B/C.

I also wish I would have invested more time into building up social networks, so I could get laid. As it stands, I have been foreveralone through high school and college, and will probably be foreveralone through medical school and residency as well. I mean, how am I supposed to catch up on social skills while in medical school?
 
Wish I got more involved in fitness. My science building had a free gym in the basement that I never went to, and it was basically always empty. Now I pay $40 a month to feel insecure in a gym full of powerbros. I don't even lift.

Also wish I made a bit more of a break from my parents. I lived at home throughout undergrad to save money. I think it was a financially wise choice, but now I feel a little chained to home for the sake of my mother's sanity :-/
 
Last edited: