Things you wish your residents would consider.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I respect y'all's opinions, but I just don't agree. Jdh I just don't believe there is an indelibe 'elite' quality that residents can see shining through students without us having the opportunity to work. How can you tell? How do you know what your seeing in any way correlates to the qualities that make a good working physcian? Overactive, I also don't believe that the difference between sincere and self motivate actions shines through. People just aren't that insiteful under any circumstance, and medicine is full of people who are significantly less insightful than average (sleep deprived, overworked, and to some extent the field selects for bad social skills). People are people, and when they have nothing else to base their judgement on they reward employees with the best personality.

You'll see what I mean in a few years. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately I must agree with many others here. Your language screams of "entitlement." It's like the people who get pulled over for speeding and then yell at the police with "my tax dollars pay your salary!" as if that somehow changes the fact they were breaking the law.

This is teamwork. Work done by the team. Everyone does it, from med student to attending. If you can't stand performing basic patient duties NOW, you should strongly reconsider your career choices.

Residents don't get your tuition. Residents don't take into consideration how much med students complain about their responsibilities while they are ranking their choices for match. Similarly, residency programs don't really take into account how good a teacher each applicant is.

Don't get me wrong. There are BAD residents. But that's not what you're describing. What I'm hearing is complaints of basic team responsibilities. Up YOUR game, and you'll soon notice other things fall into place.