Thinking about switching to Podiatry -- Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So for the last few years I've been planning to apply to traditional medical school, however after doing some research into podiatry and making a pros/cons list, I think I may very well want to switch. My questions is as follows: I have several letters of recommendation that are geared toward traditional medical school. Although I haven't seen them, they most likely say something to the effect of "I would recommend dmshain for admission to medical school." Do you guys think it's okay to use these letters for pod schools? Or should I go back to my letter writers and get them to edit the letters to say something to the effect of "I would recommend dmshain for admission to podiatry school."?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

EK18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So for the last few years I've been planning to apply to traditional medical school, however after doing some research into podiatry and making a pros/cons list, I think I may very well want to switch. My questions is as follows: I have several letters of recommendation that are geared toward traditional medical school. Although I haven't seen them, they most likely say something to the effect of "I would recommend dmshain for admission to medical school." Do you guys think it's okay to use these letters for pod schools? Or should I go back to my letter writers and get them to edit the letters to say something to the effect of "I would recommend dmshain for admission to podiatry school."?

Thanks!!

I doubt it will hurt you, unless the letter specifically recommends you for osteopathic (DO) or allopathic (MD) programs, podiatry school is a form of medical school so you should be fine. Don't forget to shadow and get the letter from a DPM!

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I disagree with EK. While it is true that if you have the stats you still get in to most schools regardless of what your recommendations say, it is sorta tacky to not mention podiatry school in your LORs. So basically, do you NEED to change them? No. You don't NEED a 3.0 either, but it's sorta sketchy if you don't.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)

feet2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think it should be fine, your best bet would be to contact the schools personally.

footNankle

DMU DPM c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, everyone!

Has anyone here gotten into pod school using letters they originally intended for allo/osteo school?

Also, does anyone know what the averages are for volunteering/shadowing for pod school? I currently have about 40ish hours shadowing MDs/DOs and a little over 300 hours volunteering; clinical and nonclinical.

MaxillofacialMN

Osteopathic Foot Dentist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, everyone!

Has anyone here gotten into pod school using letters they originally intended for allo/osteo school?

Also, does anyone know what the averages are for volunteering/shadowing for pod school? I currently have about 40ish hours shadowing MDs/DOs and a little over 300 hours volunteering; clinical and nonclinical.

You have more than enough. Average is irrelevant. Zero is fine

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

ndstepno

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm quoting the Podiatric Medical College Information Book:

Q: A student previously applied to MD and/or DO
programs. Can letters of recommendation
(or a committee evaluation) be re-used for the
DPM application?

A: Students pursuing entry into one of the nine
colleges of podiatric medicine are considered
to be “pre-medical” students; acceptable
letters of recommendation often address
students’ preparedness for a career in medicine.
Students should be encouraged to submit
additional letters of recommendation that
address their recent preparation for a career
in podiatric medicine.

So it seems like it's left wide open. Problem is, a lot of us have no idea what those letters say. Let's stay positive and focus on the nice things our letter writers wrote about us.

Deleonrg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would have them rewrite them. They will most likely be happy too. I had one writer change mine three times. Don't forget thank you notes for them.