thinking of changing to nurse anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrlantern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently hold a BS, DDS, residency-training certificate, DEA registration, and state licensure.

Are there any shortcuts for someone like myself into being a certified nurse anesthetist?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently hold a BS, DDS, residency-training certificate, DEA registration, and state licensure.

Are there any shortcuts for someone like myself into being a certified nurse anesthetist?

None of that would make a difference - you still have to get the RN, then at least a year of ICU work, plus anesthesia school.

The dental anesthesia option should be far superior I would think.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of that would make a difference - you still have to get the RN, then at least a year of ICU work, plus anesthesia school.

The dental anesthesia option should be far superior I would think.

How many years in total ( including the RN + clinical experience + anesthesia program ) am I looking at for completion? If it's almost 7-8 years that's needed, would I be better off doing medical school, and then do an anesthesiology residency?

I have no intention in doing dental anesthesia. I don't have any firsthand insight onto this specialty but, for a field so narrow in scope with limited job prospects, these residencies are very competitive to gain admissions to.

How many years in total ( including the RN + clinical experience + anesthesia program ) am I looking at for completion? If it's almost 7-8 years that's needed, would I be better off doing medical school, and then do an anesthesiology residency?

I have no intention in doing dental anesthesia. I don't have any firsthand insight onto this specialty but, for a field so narrow in scope with limited job prospects, these residencies are very competitive to gain admissions to.

You are looking at 1-2 years for an accelerated BSN program, followed by 1-2 years of ICU nursing experience, followed by 2-3 years (usually somewhere around 28 months) for the CRNA school itself. So, a grand total of 4-7 years of schooling. Or, with your background, you could skip most of that BS and go to AA school (just over 2 years) and be functionally equivalent to a CRNA in states that recognize AAs (jwk, please feel free to jump in here, as you are the most experienced AA that frequents SDN).

For someone with your background, you are looking at closer to 4 years to complete the CRNA. I had several (4) nursing school colleagues who went straight through and finished CRNA training in 4 - 5 years total; and they did not have a health profession background.

The accelerated BSN is usually 12-16 months depending on the program, one year of ICU/CCU experience is enough to apply for the CRNA, and the CRNA is about 2 years and some change at most programs.

In your situation, AA is the way to go. No need to further mull this over.

You can complete your BSN in as little as 11 months. With your background, you would probably have an easier time getting straight into an ICU position out of school. I'd vote you could graduate in a little over 5 years if you did it straight through and got the full 2 years ICU experience. That doesn't, however, count the downtime while you wait to get your RN license, application periods, etc.

You are looking at 1-2 years for an accelerated BSN program, followed by 1-2 years of ICU nursing experience, followed by 2-3 years (usually somewhere around 28 months) for the CRNA school itself. So, a grand total of 4-7 years of schooling. Or, with your background, you could skip most of that BS and go to AA school (just over 2 years) and be functionally equivalent to a CRNA in states that recognize AAs (jwk, please feel free to jump in here, as you are the most experienced AA that frequents SDN).

Will being an AA give me disadvantages in employment, range of cliical responsibilities, and salary as opposed to those with CRNA certification?

I'm also seeing lots of job postings where CRNAs are being offered 100k-150k/yr in hospital settings in big cities like NYC. I'm hearing the demand is huge, with prospects better than any physician or dentist. Is this also applicable to AAs?

Which state are you looking to practice in?

The states in which AAs work by a license, regulation, and/or certification are:
Alabama
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Missouri
New Mexico (university hospital settings)
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Vermont
North Carolina

The states in which AAs are granted practice privilege through physician delegation (meaning the anesthesiologist can delegate specific anesthesia tasks to an AA):
Colorado
Michigan
New Hampshire
Texas
West Virginia
Wisconsin

http://www.anesthetist.org/factsaboutaas/#stateswithlicensure

I was always under the impression that AAs have to practice with the supervision of an anesthesiologist where a CRNA has to practice under the supervision of a physician. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know the field is rapidly evolving...

AA will let you get into anesthesia in less time (24 months total). CRNA will take longer (4 more years at the very least) but let you practice anywhere.

If you only want to work in New York, CRNA is the only option. Or medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, the CRNA will take you longer but you will be entering an established role where you will be able to practice in any state. The AA role is much newer and isn't even an option in many states. Check out the CRNA forum at allnurses.com under Advanced Practice Specialties for more detailed information.

Again, the CRNA will take you longer but you will be entering an established role where you will be able to practice in any state. The AA role is much newer and isn't even an option in many states. Check out the CRNA forum at allnurses.com under Advanced Practice Specialties for more detailed information.
>
I wonder how many states AA's would be able to practice in if CRNA's didn't testify against, and use political clout in general to block AA legislation.

>
I wonder how many states AA's would be able to practice in if CRNA's didn't testify against, and use political clout in general to block AA legislation.

I agree, the political reality can be a b#%@h. But, for someone new contemplating going into similar professions, the one with an established position within the system is more tangible and certain. For anesthesia, this leaves the CRNA and medical school. Clearly, AA can be a viable option, as long as one is aware of its current limitations and the potential portability problems inherent with a new credential.

If I were to do nurse anesthesia, I'd rather do it the right way via getting CRNA credentials and getting the correlating salary and job duties.

Then again, given the time required for me to be a CRNA, why not just spend an extra few years to become a full anesthesiologist by going through med school and residency?

So.....never mind. Thanks for all the help, by the way.

If I were to do nurse anesthesia, I'd rather do it the right way via getting CRNA credentials and getting the correlating salary and job duties.

Then again, given the time required for me to be a CRNA, why not just spend an extra few years to become a full anesthesiologist by going through med school and residency?

So.....never mind. Thanks for all the help, by the way.

I am confused as to why you consider CRNA the right way? Someone in your shoes is not going to want to sit on your duff learning NANDA nursing diagnoses for a year or so just to obtain a nursing degree?

Is there any reason why you would not want to look at AA school? You will most likely be celebrating passing the NCLEX RN in the time it takes to simply get through an AA programme?

I agree, the political reality can be a b#%@h. But, for someone new contemplating going into similar professions, the one with an established position within the system is more tangible and certain. For anesthesia, this leaves the CRNA and medical school. Clearly, AA can be a viable option, as long as one is aware of its current limitations and the potential portability problems inherent with a new credential.
>
Case Westerns program started in 1969, and Emory's first class graduated in 1971. AA is hardly a "new credential".
http://www.anesthesiaassistant.com/AnesthesiologistAssistantEducation.html

I wonder how far CRNA's would go if anesthesiologists did not testifyagainst us and lobby against legislation?

I wonder how far CRNA's would go if anesthesiologists did not testifyagainst us and lobby against legislation?

As long as CRNA's want to move into the practice of medicine they will have opposition.

I wonder how far AA's would go if CRNA's did not testify against us and lobby against legislation?

Oh, they'd have jobs in states they wanted to work in.

I belive that this has been settled in court often enough it is the practice of nursing thankyou very much.

Don't you have a sub-forum in the Anesthesia forum for this schtick?

Sho'nuff do and perhaps ol Pores of Khan there could have posted there.

Is there not a forum for your schtick? I mean MD schtick?

/

Last edited:
Hey could someone tell me about the columbia direct entry crna program? http://sklad.cumc.columbia.edu/nursing/courses/programs/etpfaq.php
Based on what I read on their website it is possible to get straight into "nurse anesthesia"? And there is no interview? So then i would be doing 1yr of nursing, followed by 3yrs of this specialty training? If this is the case i would consider applying to this program at the same time that I am applying to medical schools for the 3rd time. Any thoughts on this program?

2 years nursing, 1 year required ICU experience, 2 years of anesthesia training and you graduate as a CRNA

I would just go to med school. Almost as hard to get into CRNA school (a good one) You have no flexibility all you will do is put people to sleep. Md school you get more options and it only takes a little longer, not counting the residency... but still a couple more years getting paid more than a new nurse as a resident, and then better payoff. Seems not worth it unless you are already a masters-qualified nurse. If you don't have a nursing degree already and don't even have a BA in anything yet, seems silly to me. Just go for med school. You end up with a professional doctorate and not a masters and better pay, more options.

I would just go to med school. Almost as hard to get into CRNA school (a good one) You have no flexibility all you will do is put people to sleep. Md school you get more options and it only takes a little longer, not counting the residency... but still a couple more years getting paid more than a new nurse as a resident, and then better payoff. Seems not worth it unless you are already a masters-qualified nurse. If you don't have a nursing degree already and don't even have a BA in anything yet, seems silly to me. Just go for med school. You end up with a professional doctorate and not a masters and better pay, more options.

Uh, you have to count residency.