Thinking of dropping my chem minor... advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiletiger98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I was accepted into dental school this cycle and have already paid my deposit. I graduate in May and my roommate and I were planning on moving into an apartment in the city where my school is right after my graduation. However, my loans/room and board given by the school will not be available until first week of class (mid august). This means I will need to work and pay rent, which I am completely okay with, from graduation to orientation/first day of class (May-July). However, I found a job in the town that I go to school with that will transfer to the city I will be living in following my graduation, so I can start working as early as when the semester starts, which is great and I can save up!

The issue I have ran into is that I am scheduled for 14 credit hours (12 with 2 research credits), but I have an advanced lab for my chemistry minor that has the notorious reputation of requiring twice the amount of credit hours outside of class. If I want to work part-time (30 hrs or so), I feel like the chem minor will hinder my ability to work and save up for the summer. I came to ask anyone out there if they think it would look bad if I dropped my chem minor to be able to work and save money? Should I notify the school first if I intend to drop my minor? My school said they expect all intended course work to be completed upon admission, and I have completed all pre-requisite courses as of last semester. The chem minor was intended to make my path of taking those pre-requisite courses easier, but now that it has finihsed, I find no interest in taking this advanced lab course. Sorry for the not-so short story, but it was the best I could do in a brief summary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I’d ask the school themselves and see what they think. To me, I don’t think it’d be an issue considering they aren’t prereqs or part of your major.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone,

Long story short, I was accepted into dental school this cycle and have already paid my deposit. I graduate in May and my roommate and I were planning on moving into an apartment in the city where my school is right after my graduation. However, my loans/room and board given by the school will not be available until first week of class (mid august). This means I will need to work and pay rent, which I am completely okay with, from graduation to orientation/first day of class (May-July). However, I found a job in the town that I go to school with that will transfer to the city I will be living in following my graduation, so I can start working as early as when the semester starts, which is great and I can save up!

The issue I have ran into is that I am scheduled for 14 credit hours (12 with 2 research credits), but I have an advanced lab for my chemistry minor that has the notorious reputation of requiring twice the amount of credit hours outside of class. If I want to work part-time (30 hrs or so), I feel like the chem minor will hinder my ability to work and save up for the summer. I came to ask anyone out there if they think it would look bad if I dropped my chem minor to be able to work and save money? Should I notify the school first if I intend to drop my minor? My school said they expect all intended course work to be completed upon admission, and I have completed all pre-requisite courses as of last semester. The chem minor was intended to make my path of taking those pre-requisite courses easier, but now that it has finihsed, I find no interest in taking this advanced lab course. Sorry for the not-so short story, but it was the best I could do in a brief summary. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ask the school first if it would be okay. If so, drop that sucker

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao I'm in the same boat. I think we should call or email the school and ask

I don't think it would matter if you dropped it but you could check with the school.

I dropped out of my honors college the minute I got my d school acceptance with no issues

Hi everyone,

Congrats on acceptance. Pretty much like everyone else said keep in touch with the school on whatever you do. If you'll be able to drop it then why not. See if you can move in earlier than first week of class.

Reactions: 1 user
In undergrad, I dropped my chem minor and it was the best decision I made... felt I needed to focus on my bio classes more and do well in them for dental school. I am very glad I did. Maybe contact the school, definitely drop the minor (if it doesn't hurt your GPA).