third time applying to dental school 2019--need your advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gooz26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The first time I applied to dental schools i applied with DAT 17 and 2.8 science GPA. overal gpa 3.55 didnt get an interview from any of the 12 schools.

The second time (last cycle) i applied with a DAT of 20, 22 on each science, 16 on math, 3.2 science gpa..overal gpa 3.55. yet no interviews

now I am deciding to reapply without retaking the dat for the third time.. I am just confused why i didnt recieve a single interview on the second time i applied. any advice would help!!

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

17AA + 2.8 science is below average, and a 20AA + 3.2 science is a little better, as you're over the cutoffs, but the 16QR might be holding you back. Also when did you apply last cycle, and to how many schools? With your stats, you should apply to probably around 15...your science GPA is still pretty low, have you thought about doing a Master's to show that you can handle upper level coursework? Also I know you probably don't want to, but retaking the DAT wouldn't be so bad for you to do, if you get like a 22-23+.

Also it won't help much to post on the school threads....the same people seeing this post will see those too..?

Reactions: 1 user
17AA + 2.8 science is below average, and a 20AA + 3.2 science is a little better, as you're over the cutoffs, but the 16QR might be holding you back. Also when did you apply last cycle, and to how many schools? With your stats, you should apply to probably around 15...your science GPA is still pretty low, have you thought about doing a Master's to show that you can handle upper level coursework? Also I know you probably don't want to, but retaking the DAT wouldn't be so bad for you to do, if you get like a 22-23+.

Also it won't help much to post on the school threads....the same people seeing this post will see those too..?

i submitted the application a month after it opened, to about 15 schools. the dat would help if i retake it.

Members don't see this ad :)
which schools did you apply last time?

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry
The Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC
Western University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine
University of Maryland School of Dentistry
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine
Oregon Health Sciences University School of Dentistry
University of Utah School
Roseman University

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

The first time I applied to dental schools i applied with DAT 17 and 2.8 science GPA. overal gpa 3.55 didnt get an interview from any of the 12 schools.

The second time (last cycle) i applied with a DAT of 20, 22 on each science, 16 on math, 3.2 science gpa..overal gpa 3.55. yet no interviews

now I am deciding to reapply without retaking the dat for the third time.. I am just confused why i didnt recieve a single interview on the second time i applied. any advice would help!!

thank you
What were your extracurriculars? And was GPA an upward trend?

Hello,

thank you

Could it be something else besides your GPA/DAT? I thought a 3.55 and 3.2 GPA was considered pretty good and QR is the least important part of the DAT. If you got a 22 on each science, that's pretty dope as well. I suggest you use this site to get feedback on your personal statement, because your stats are better than mine. I got accepted this cycle with a 3.2 gpa/23 DAT.

Could it be something else besides your GPA/DAT? I thought a 3.55 and 3.2 GPA was considered pretty good and QR is the least important part of the DAT. If you got a 22 on each science, that's pretty dope as well. I suggest you use this site to get feedback on your personal statement, because your stats are better than mine. I got accepted this cycle with a 3.2 gpa/23 DAT.

your dat is pretty good! where did you get accepted to?

I am assuming you applied late? You should have gotten something the second time around

how did you manage to go from a 2.8 to a 3.2 sGPA in one year(assuming you applied one cycle apart)? all the while the oGPA remaining the same? something doesn't add up...

Reactions: 2 users
Where were you accepted?