1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Third year freshman?!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by DMD2Bee87, Aug 17, 2011.

1. DMD2Bee87

Dental Student
    This is my first year in dental school. There is a guy in my class that says he failed a couple of classes his first year and he was allowed to repeat but they made him split his first year into two years. So that means that he will be a d1 for three years?? Wow...I didn't know dental schools did this? It just sounded a little harsh to me....but I guess he's still there so it can't be that bad, right? I'm nervous now. :scared:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Daurang

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    He's lucky he's allowed to stay. He must have special connections because other students would be washing test tubes as their occupation right now.

4. SoulPower

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Lol, was thinking the same thing. Or he's definitely got lots of monies to "donate" to the school. :rolleyes:

5. DMD2Bee87

Dental Student
    LOL. I know right.

6. 7 Iron

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sounds about right. That's what I did with my B.S. before applying to dental school! LOL

7. rarm1

rarm1 Senior Member
    SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    yes he is lucky... every student should be given the chance especially if they have problems that will not affect their treatment of patients.

Some have "learning problems" - takes long to read - need more time for courses/exams

Some have personal problems at home where they need to spend more time with the family - some have medical problems where they did more time while being treated.

When I was in school (seems like 100 years ago) My younger brother was dying and I wanted to be with him and drop out/leave of absence. The Dean at Penn - Lester Burket - worked with me... told me to do what I can... and my grades will disappear If I had to repeat the year.... I have been maintaining that compassionate behavior ever since