Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Third year!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Midoc, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I just finished my last exam of my second year of dental school! Hopefully I will never again have 11 final exams in a short period of time. I checked the computer and I'm already being assigned patients for when I start in the clinic in a week and a half, I can't wait.

Congratulations to all the other second years who have made it through the academic portion of dental school and are moving on to the clinical portion!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SillyRabbit

SillyRabbit Trix R 4 Kidz
    10+ Year Member

Congrats Midoc! It must feel great! Let us know how it goes with the patients.

4. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

Hey Dan,

You realize of course that you are HALFWAY DONE! :D Before you know it you'll be finishing up your clinical requirements and getting ready to graduate. Bravo! :thumbup:

5. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Tom, technically the halfway point is going to come sometime during the summer but I quite happy to say that I'M HALF WAY DONE!!1!

Sillyrabbit, I've already got four patients! One is my "little sister" from the first year class that I worked on during sophmore clinic. I've already done a prophy on her and I'll be doing some sealants later on. I've also been assigned three patients that I don't know much about. I saw one has a treatment plan in the computer already though. He is 78, has a history of prostate cancer, lung disease and glaucoma. He has three remaining teeth that are bombed out and need to be extracted and then I'll be constructing him a complete upper and lower denture. All I know about the other two are that one is 76 and the other is 40.

6. tanwe461

tanwe461 Member
    7+ Year Member

isn't 3rd year great...i bet you will love the patient bit.....you learn so much from them....have fun!

7. RoyalAlbatross

7+ Year Member

Hey Tanwe

US dental schools are 4 years in duration. 3rd year for them is Junior Year. Clinic starts now! They will have 1 more year before graduation. Otago is 5 years (we're adding Health Sci First Year) and when you are a 3rd year in Dunedin, that means you would still have 2 more years to go (sadly)!

3rd year is when the US students start comprehensive care for the patients. Everything else is pretty much similar here and in Dunedin.

Cheers,

Albtross

8. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

Once our summer session is over and boards are, THEN i'll feel like a 3rd year!

Congrats

9. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    3rd year is exciting, but yet nerve wracking! Going from preclinic to clinic is not an easy transition! I, too, was assigned patients this past week and I have 5 patients so far, know nothing about any of them but their names, phone numbers, and their last appointments. This past week and this next week is our clinic orientation. We are now going through an intensive 10 days of operative, fixed, endo and prosth procedures in preparing us for the real deal!

Just this past Friday, we did nothing but operative procedures from 9 AM thourgh 5 PM all day! Man, let me tell ya, I felt like a dentist, physically and literatelly! My neck and back killed!! We officially start clinic on our own on June 14, 2004 and our clinical/graduation requirement clock starts clicking! Unfortunately for me, I will be missing 3 weeks of clinical time right off the bat to do my OMFS externship at LSU. That sucks, but I guess I have to sacrafice if I wish to do a month-long externship!

At least when I get back from my externship, I'll have no problems extracting teeth and give local anesthetics to real patients! :thumbup:

10. Zurik5

Zurik5 Feel the Illinoise.....
    5+ Year Member

Let me know if any of you figure out how to sell each 70+ year old with asthma and a poor heart a complete set of sparkly nice, new, shiny veneers. Congrats and best of luck.

Ryan

11. GatorDMD

GatorDMD Suck ChocoSaltyBalls
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am too starting clinics now at UFCD. It is cool but we still have classes over the summer and the boards to prepare for. A little overwhelming but very exciting. Yah-E let me know how the LSU OMS externship goes. Is it shreve or NO? Later

UFCD 2006

12. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Gator DMD:

You know, I've always wanted to set something up with your school and us....perhaps we'll party FDA/ADA style upcoming in Orlando! I think it will be cool to meet some of you UF dental people. My upcoming OMFS externship is at New Orleans. I plan on starting a thread and sharing everything with y'all, it would be the first here at SDN....

Now getting back to our preclinical-to-clinic transition, we had a restorative crash course the last two school days (9 AM - 5 PM) familiarize ourselves of all restorative procedures and this upcoming Thursday, we have our first restorative competency exam! If you don't pass, you don't go into clinic!

Here's what we need to do:

1) #9 DI (Class IV) composite restoration - Manniquin
    2) #3 MODL (Complex Class II) amalgam restoration - Manniquin
    3) #13 MOD (Class II) composite restoration - Manniquin
    4) #18 MO (Class II) amalgam preparation - Manniquin w/ rubber dam

The #3 complex amalgam restoration will probably be the maker or the breaker, a lot of people have trouble building and carving the DL cusp with amalgam. Again, it's all exciting, but a little nerve-wracking!

13. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

You guys will do great in clinic. That's one thing I liked about UNC, get us in the clinics for operative in the fall of 2nd year. You'll be surprised how much you know, and how much it will all kick in once you are in the hot seat. Once you get over that initial fear/excitement you'll have that handpiece wurring about 300,000 rpms.

14. Midoc

Midoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I really have no doubts about restorative skills but treatment planning is quite the headache. Its interesting to have one of my very first patients be a semi-complicated restorative/prosth/perio combination. Ya know how they say you can't please everyone, in this case I think its going to be difficult to please just the patient, my treatment manager and myself!

15. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    To all you 3rd years out there, lets hear what's going on in your hectic lives! Is it exam time for you (right now it is for me)? Are you short on procedures? How many patients are there in your family? You like 3rd year, you don't like 3rd year? Anything you want to share will be greatly entertaining I'm sure.

Come on, where you at? :thumbup:

I'll start:

First semester of 3rd year is coming to an end! This week is our last week of clinics and next week is our finals week. Even though this week is our last clinic week, we still have 3 final exams integrated into this week. We only have 6 finals this semester from courses.

This week:
    Oral Surgery II
    Oral Pathology I
    Cometic Dentistry
    Next week:
    Implant Dentistry
    Periodontology V
    Oral Medicine III

This semester we've had the following clinical competencies:

1) Class II amalgam on typodont (prep & restore)
    2) Treatment plan competency
    3) Full-metal crown on typodont (prep & provisionalize)
    4) 3-unit bridge on typodont (prep & provisionalize)
    5) Scaling & Root Planing (select 5 teeth after you've completed 3 quadrants already)

As far as requirements goes, I'm behind on Endo, RPDs, and restoratives. I currently have 12 patients under my care in my patient family. We have to do a week rotation at OMFS and Radiology twice this semester. Only one day rotation with Pedo. Only one day every month to rotation with Ortho.

I'm off to another OMFS externship during my winter break, but this time it's only 3 weeks long with University of Minnesota. Next semester, all clinic requirements will increase in number as well as difficulty.

Overall, I'm enjoying 3rd year now that I know how the clinic is ran.

16. Pi__Guy1

Pi__Guy1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good topic Yah-E. You're so lucky that you can do some of your competencies on typodonts. Definitely would make my life easier. Anyways, here are our requirements:

(Remember, these are to be done at the END of 3rd year...on patients)

NYU 3rd year requirements ("practice" means you can have faculty help you w/ the patient. you have to finish all practices before you can do cases w/o critical errors)

OPERATIVE:
    Class II (5 practice before you do 2 w/o critical errors...7 total)
    Class III/IV (5 practice before you do 2 w/o critical errors...7 total)
    Class V (5 practice before you do 2 w/o critical errors...7 total)
    PRR/Sealants/Class I (5 practice before you do 2 w/o critical errors....7 total)

PROSTHO:
    Full Crowns (2 practice before you do 2 w/o critical errors)
    Partial Dentures (2 practice before you do 1 w/o critical errors)

PERIO:
    Scale/Root planing (4 practice quads, 3 quads w/ no errors)

Oral Surgery
    Extractions (8 practice, 2 w/o help or critical errors)

There are a ton of other requirements (like pedo restorations, local anesthesia, etc) but i'm getting tired typing. thank god we don't have any endo requirements 3rd year. like yah-e said, it's luck of the draw. the thing w/ me is i am avoiding endo as much as possible until our endo course is over. haha. i took an emergency endo today and i got lucky and referred it out to pg endo. lol.

17. Yah-E

Yah-E Toof Sniper
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hey J:

Just FYI, the 2nd semester 3rd year (next semester), all of our restorative competencies are on patients.

18. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I was wondering about that.

19. Pi__Guy1

Pi__Guy1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what if you get a patient in the fall semester that wanted partial lowers against full upper dentures? would this roll over and count as a competency later on?? or is the fall semester just practice for you?