This could be the deal....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPeace

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been in the Caribbean VS DO thread over the last few weeks and I posted a few comments regarding the DO/IMG/MD issues. I am a PGYI internal medicine bound resident at Stanford medical center. I mentioned that at Stanford medical center nobody ever really talked about this IMG/DO/MD stuff. And so recently I raised this issues over a cup of coffee with one attending who's in the selection committee. And thanks to Ms Kimberli Cox and Stephen Owen, they had confirmed what I am about to say. And this is what I have been told from one of the resident selection committee at Stanford.

1)With regard to IMGs, MOST residency programs are very open-minded about it, even at Stanford. They careless because you do the same thing!!! I reckon.
2)They KNOW the qualities of doctors are the about same whether they are from abroad or domestics. I also reckon.
3)However, reputation is what they need to uphold. And so, ONLY foreign graduates coming from prestigious foreign medial schools and developed countries are allowed to be seriously considered(this is at Stanford). Once the committee is OKAY with the foreign medical schools, they actually put you on a same competing field as the American grad. And Yes, they do have the list. The purpose is to enhance diversity but not to compromise reputation. It is my deepest regret to inform graduates of developing countries that they are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to be favored in the selection process(At Stanford). Not that they don't know you are good, it is because they need to uphold their reputation in case they need to list all their graduates' medical school attended. And Yes they do that. At the front entrance of Lucile Salter Packard children hospital at Stanford, you can see my face with name of my medical school underneath my name, "OXFORD UNIVERSITY", "UNITED KINGDOM". Or Cathrine McDonald, "University of Queensland", "Australia". And so to Stanford, it is not their intention to put something like "John Doe", "Univeristas of Mexico City", "MEXICO".
4)They do run into this dilemma that most of the graduates of excellent foreign medical schools are not us citizens, and those who are citizens are either Caribbean graduates or Mexican graduates, which they claim can seriously compromise their reputation. But in the end, they still want uphold their reputation more than mere us citizens issues. And they assume that once we are done with the program, we will go back to our own developed country to "SPREAD" the word about Stanford. Whether you stay or not, it's up to you and the immigration department.
5)And so at Stanford, they DON't take any foreign graduates of developing countries, that includes us citizens who attended Caribbean or Mexican medical schools. This is the suggestion he would give to US citizens, who's about to attend medical school abroad: go to a westernized, developed countries, and you will be on the same competing field as the American graduates, at least at Stanford and other competitive program.
6)Why no DO at Stanford? Same issues. DO, Stanford believes, would be a liability to it's reputation.
7)And yes, this attending I talked to is an A-hole, but then he is one of guy responsible for the selection process.

But then again, this is at Stanford, but it probably reflects competitive programs across the country.

And Yes, my point is to let you people know what is actually happening out there. Whether to consider DO/IMG/MD.

Kato

Members don't see this ad.

Some residency directors will give a good ear to a grad from the developing world. Reasons: multiculturalism, a wish to send good med care abroad, and to have languages and cultural competence in the care of their multicultural Pt population. As just one example, last I checked the the pages of some Jackson Memorial Hospital (in Miami) residencies, it looked like a veritable role call from the United Nations.

I apologize for the outburst. I had a little to drink the other day. No that's not my real name, but's it's close to it. Am I a pgyI there, hmmm??? Unless I have failed mental state exam(e.g. person, place, and time), then I should know where am I. Just recently things have been quite interesting regarding this topic. And Yes there may be some DO at Stanford. As I have already posted on the other thread, there is a DO whom I had met awhile ago, I just didn't know which department she was in. Perhaps ENT, because I remember I met her on 3rd floor. Maybe different departments have different selection policies. I am not sure. I sincerely apologize for my unfounded outburst . Hope you can have the generosity to accept my apology.

With deepest regret,

Kato