Could I get a job doing research with a Carribean MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToMedSchool5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point in my life I know I want to go into research but I also want to see patients. I know I might not get a residency if I go to the Caribbean but could I at least get an MD level job doing research with a degree from the Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

At this point in my life I know I want to go into research but I also want to see patients. I know I might not get a residency if I go to the Caribbean but could I at least get an MD level job doing research with a degree from the Caribbean?
I definitely believe so. You could potentially do research without an MD period it just depends on the level of involvement you would feel comfortable with. Additionally, it is very expensive to go down there if I can offer any advice it would be don't go down there if you already have a mindset of defeat. It is good to be realistic but a mind of defeat is a very dangerous thing. If you already think you are going to fail then you will fail. If you think you will succeed you have a better chance of reaching your goals.

That is a really really bad investment and choice! You're not even gonna get paid at the level of a PhD in research.... which mean, you owe a big load of debt to make an amount of money same as you can make with just a bachelor degree! Money in academic research is really scarce right now and I'm not sure how the outlook for it will be in the future but I absolutely advise against going to caribbean MD and doing research as a back up... Just find a job in the biotech industry or a different career if you feel you can only get into a caribbean and have no chance of matching.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can.
I know someone (n=1, small sample size i know) who went to one of those purely scam Caribbean schools, didn't match, and has been bouncing around different Ontario universities doing 4-6 months contract research positions. I'm assuming the idea is to stay involved until they're able to land a residency.

That is a really really bad investment and choice! You're not even gonna get paid at the level of a PhD in research.... which mean, you owe a big load of debt to make an amount of money same as you can make with just a bachelor degree! Money in academic research is really scarce right now and I'm not sure how the outlook for it will be in the future but I absolutely advise against going to caribbean MD and doing research as a back up... Just find a job in the biotech industry or a different career if you feel you can only get into a caribbean and have no chance of matching.

I'm planning on doing research with my bachelors for a year or two and then either pursuing a masters in genetics or a DO then if I don't get in to DO, Caribbean. You don't think there are any places that would hire me for research at an MD level if the MD came from the Caribbean?

I'm planning on doing research with my bachelors for a year or two and then either pursuing a masters in genetics or a DO then if I don't get in to DO, Caribbean. You don't think there are any places that would hire me for research at an MD level if the MD came from the Caribbean?

This is just not a good plan at all! Don't go to a Caribbean med school to do research as the big 4 are training you to become a clinician and not a researcher. Just do a PhD at a university nearest you. Or do a masters at a school with an MD/PhD program, then after you build your app, apply to that program. I've seen many people do well as clinicians from the big 4 schools, but obtaining an MD just to do research isn't wise.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not that they won't hire you, but it is a complete waste of money and time because you're not going to get paid as the same level of a PhD! If you aren't almost completely confident that you're going to be able to practice as a physician in the US after graduating from the caribbean, then do not do it!What is research at an MD level...?? Unless I'm wrong, you either have a PhD in science for research or you don't. Getting an MD does not mean you are more proficient and should be higher paid in research. This is why people do PhD and MD if they want to do research and practice at the same time.

People will hire you for research regardless of where your MD came from if your grades are strong. The problem is your mentality is that you are going down there to not do well. If your grades are good enough you will get a residency and you will be able to do research and get academic positions after your residency. Caribbean/DO doesn't matter. You need to decide what you want because I get the sense that you are just floating around right now. If you want to be a doctor go for it. If you want to be a researcher go for that.

Masters in genetics is different then working as a doctor and doing your DO/MD. You may as well just continue on with a PhD. Remember most schools don't even look at your masters grades. So the only benefit of doing a masters is you will have 2 years worth of research and a thesis paper with your name on it by the end. You could do that by doing honors in bachelors or hopping onto research projects.

I know someone who is doing a residency in BC in medical genetics. They went abroad and got their residency (Ireland). It was a lot of work. Their goal was to become a doctor first and and foremost.

So that is my main question is what do you truly want and what are your actual goals of what you want to do. Don't worry about the prestige or the letters behind your name. Rather what do you want to do what would make you truly happy. Nothing is wrong with doing research. If that is what you want to do then focus on that. One kid at my school is in his masters and has potentially discovered a new form of anti-bacterial medication on his own. He will be starting up a company and getting funding soon and will be richer then everyone on this forum combined potentially. If money/business is driving you do something like that. If its honestly other reasons then yeah. Just something to think about.

Not that they won't hire you, but it is a complete waste of money and time because you're not going to get paid as the same level of a PhD! If you aren't almost completely confident that you're going to be able to practice as a physician in the US after graduating from the Caribbean, then do not do it!What is research at an MD level...?? Unless I'm wrong, you either have a PhD in science for research or you don't. Getting an MD does not mean you are more proficient and should be higher paid in research. This is why people do PhD and MD if they want to do research and practice at the same time.
Exactly. Most top level researchers either have an MD/PhD or a PhD.

Not saying you can't do it with an MD but it isn't necessary to go through 4 years of school to do that. In fact you will go more in depth into specific systems doing a PhD then an MD. MD from my understanding just teaches you the basics of a language that will allow you to begin to truly train in an extraordinary craft. I will come up with an example and it won't be the most accurate but to get a picture painted for you.

The difference between being an actuarial scientist vs being an oil trader. They have completely different paths to become each thing.

Why don't u pursue a masters and then a PhD in some science field......?

Caribbean shouldn't be an option for anything unless it's a vacation.

Caribbean shouldn't be an option for anything unless it's a vacation.

Why are you so anti-Caribbean.

Interpretive parasailing. Jerk-chicken culinary classes. "Creative" offshore accounting. The Caribbean is an option for tons of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you so anti-Caribbean.

Interpretive parasailing. Jerk-chicken culinary classes. "Creative" offshore accounting. The Caribbean is an option for tons of things.

Damn.... I did forget the jerk chicken.

Ben you got me man.

Folks... Caribbean is not an option ... but that jerk chickennnn doeeeeeee????