This is the end?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a convo with someone in the industry and apparently the proposed cuts to the TC and Global for flow, cytogenetics and FISH are so dramatic that all commericial access to these services by Medicare patients will end in 2014...

That is crazy. I knew the "End is Nigh" but didnt know it was just a few months off.

I actually did a double take and directly asked "Does this mean Medicare patients will not have access to ANY of these tests?" Answer: Yes.

Then followed it up with: "Does this possibly portend the complete shake out of ALL these commercially available services from labs like Clarient, Labcorp, Neogenomics, Quest, ARUP, Mayo, PAML etc?" Answer: Yes, likely within a year.

I proceeded to freak out.

This is insane...apparently everyone is awaiting November guidance from HHS on this.

Let me be the first to say: BABIES WILL DIE!

Let that Obama appointee Sebelius rot in hell.

Members don't see this ad.

Loa Loa:
You are insane.
How would you make up with volume?
Do some math before posting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had a convo with someone in the industry and apparently the proposed cuts to the TC and Global for flow, cytogenetics and FISH are so dramatic that all commericial access to these services by Medicare patients will end in 2014...

That is crazy. I knew the "End is Nigh" but didnt know it was just a few months off.

I actually did a double take and directly asked "Does this mean Medicare patients will not have access to ANY of these tests?" Answer: Yes.

Then followed it up with: "Does this possibly portend the complete shake out of ALL these commercially available services from labs like Clarient, Labcorp, Neogenomics, Quest, ARUP, Mayo, PAML etc?" Answer: Yes, likely within a year.

This is insane...apparently everyone is awaiting November guidance from HHS on this.

All I could think of when I read this is, "healthcare rationing."

LADoc, do you think that state governments will eventually require physicians to accept all forms of payment? The reason I ask is that currently a doc could simply elect not to accept certain insurance (esp. medicare/medicaid), but could still charge cash. Do you think the gov't might eventually put a stop to this? Technically, it would be illegal for the FEDERAL government to force docs to take all insurance but, the same argument was made against Obamacare, so.....

"I just had a convo with someone in the industry and apparently the proposed cuts to the TC and Global for flow, cytogenetics and FISH are so dramatic that all commericial access to these services by Medicare patients will end in 2014..."

But I thought that if I liked my FISH tests I could keep my FISH tests!

In a free market economy, supply rises to meet demand. In a command economy, supply is choked off because of demand.

The lawyers will see to it that the standard of care is met, even if we lose money meeting that standard.

The lawyers will see to it that the standard of care is met, even if we lose money meeting that standard.

Right. And good luck telling the mammographers, breast surgeons and breast cancer oncologists that you won't perform her 2 or hormones (88361tc is getting slashed to less than cost also) on a subset of their patients. You will lose all their business instantly.

Pardon my ignorance here but what about RT-PCR, next generation sequencing and all the PCR look-a-likes? Similar cuts? I hear NGS can spit out the exact number Her-2 amplifications. Sounds like a replacement for FISH.

I think he was being sarcastic (I hope.).
Yes I was. Dhpath,as I'm sure you're aware, "We'll make it up in volume," is a cliche that gets dragged out by practice managers and business people everywhere, any time reimbursements get cut. In this case, if costs exceed revenue (as it sounds like they probably will, based on LaDoc's doomsday comment), that strategy obviously won't work in this case.

Last edited:
There's a lot of rumors out there that Abbott may start a commercial lab or buy an existing one if the cuts go through. They make the kits/probes and could find a way to thrive as a commercial lab. Many esoteric labs will not make it, clearing the way for them to be a major player. Neogeomics CEO wrote a letter to CMS that questioned whether the company could survive if the cuts go through.

Does anyone else hear Jim morrisons voice singing in their head every time you see this thread?