This is what happens when . . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted162650

A nurse administrator tries to set up a room for you:

2BD1DF99-3EBD-4141-A0D9-FB4CDBBB8A68.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
As humorous as I find this, I have other questions: where did you get halothane?

That vaporizer has been empty for at least 15 years. This is one of our smaller community hospitals which got the hand-me-down anesthesia machines when the flagship hospital upgraded yeas ago. The Halothane vaporizer is there strictly for decoration. With a little handy work, I think it would make for a sick French Press - if only I could figure out how to get the damn thing off.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That vaporizer has been empty for at least 15 years. This is one of our smaller community hospitals which got the hand-me-down anesthesia machines when the flagship hospital upgraded yeas ago. The Halothane vaporizer is there strictly for decoration. With a little handy work, I think it would make for a sick French Press - if only I could figure out how to get the damn thing off.
Turn the black knob at the back and lift it.

Turn the black knob at the back and lift it.

No black knob in back. It looks likes there’s a bolt on panel in back which needs to come off first with the attachment points hidden in there. You have a pic?

We have the “19.1” fixed vaporizer system according to Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like your sample rate is a little high...;) BTW, the halothane notwithstanding, I'd be more interested in the forane....

Looks like halothane and iso...all on a Narkomed. That's like retro hipster cool anesthesia.

Don’t worry, the Sevo is just outta frame to the right. I did have on my skinny scrub pants though.

Looks like your sample rate is a little high...;) BTW, the halothane notwithstanding, I'd be more interested in the forane....

The Iso is alive and well. Vaporizer full to the brim. Probably hasn’t been refilled in years.

What’s funny though is there’s a little sticker on the Halothane vaporizer saying it’s been recently inspected and is in good working order until the next inspection is due in March 2018.

That looks like a 2A. The Toyota Corolla of the 1980s. Low tech, High reliability. Appalling by today's safety standards.

That looks like a 2A. The Toyota Corolla of the 1980s. Low tech, High reliability. Appalling by today's safety standards.

No, it’s definitely a GS according to the nameplate on the back. We have a 2B at one site.

when was the last time you got your machines serviced?
you're telling me the tech guys don't know how to take off a halothane vaporizer?
and ditto about why a nurse administrator sets up the machine for you
something here is fishy

when was the last time you got your machines serviced?
you're telling me the tech guys don't know how to take off a halothane vaporizer?
and ditto about why a nurse administrator sets up the machine for you
something here is fishy

There is a nurse administrator at one of our sites who turns on, hooks up, and self checks the machine for me in the morning, not because it is her job, but because she likes me and is trying to be helpful. She has no idea what to do if the machine fails it’s self check, but at least she tries.

Obviously I recheck things myself, but it is nice if everything is hooked up right when I arrive. Our ahem...modern...machines make that much of a check pretty idiot proof, although I suppose the mistake in the picture could still happen.

Most of our sites have anesthesia techs do this, but that place has sparse tech coverage, and would be financially stupid to staff with one.

Reactions: 1 user
No black knob in back. It looks likes there’s a bolt on panel in back which needs to come off first with the attachment points hidden in there. You have a pic?

We have the “19.1” fixed vaporizer system according to Google.
I have this one:
rps20180114_195417.jpg
rps20180114_195400.jpg

Always appreciated the little arrow to indicate the "on" position. Especially because you turn the dial in the opposite direction. Forgot about that.:laugh:

Ya, that's the 19.2 removable one. Ours are through bolted to the machine, and you have to remove a panel in back to access the bolts.

tell the cheap bastards that run the hospital to get some machines that aren't older than you are.

Would be nice wouldn't it. I make that comment about once a week. I think the plan is to upgrade the ones at the main hospital and send the current crop of Aespire Views over to replace the Narkomeds.

Why would a nurse administrator set up your room?

ditto about why a nurse administrator sets up the machine for you
something here is fishy

Naw nothing fishy. At this particular hospital there aren't any Anes Techs, so the circulators turn over the circuits/suction/etc. The first case ran long, so she was trying expedite things by getting another OR ready so we wouldn't have to wait for turnover. Her official title is Director of Surgical Services blah, blah, blah, etc., etc. She started some prior life as a circulator, but at this point I don't think she could circulate a case start to finish if her long white coat and clipboard depended on it. She meant well, just a bit clueless at this point.

Since this turned to a talk about machines, I just wanted to make a little Public Service Announcement to the residents out there:

Don't let yourself get too dependent on all the bells and whistles that the creme de la creme machines have at your residency programs. They are great, but they can become a crutch. You don't want to be used to having SIMV/PSVPro/PCVG/etc. for every case only to show up to your first day of PP and find yourself at a surgery center where you have a 300lber for a T-berg GYN case and your only options are VC or "Bag".

You can pick up a Narkomed GS for 2K. A new GE or Draeger is 30K plus. If you own the surgery center what would you buy?

If you own the surgery center what would you buy?

On the other hand, if the hospital owns it then ask them why they bought that $2 million new Da Vinci machine so it can be used for mind-numbing 6 hour umbilical hernia repairs that should take 45 minutes. Sorta tit for tat.

On the other hand, if the hospital owns it then ask them why they bought that $2 million new Da Vinci machine so it can be used for mind-numbing 6 hour umbilical hernia repairs that should take 45 minutes. Sorta tit for tat.

Because patients will come to the hospital just for a fancy “robotic” surgery, and that robotic case reimburses better for the facility. Not the case with Anesthesia machines.