This isn't a what is my chance thread, sort-of...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typhooner1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I received my MCAT scores I posted a what are my chances thread. I got some great responses, and I appreciate those who gave their opinions.

The only other question I need answered pertains to secondaries. If my MCAT scores blow pretty bad, 24O, but the rest of my application is above average to excellent, should I continue to fill out secondaries. I believe I have 15 complete, and I've got about 10 - 15 more I haven't finished.

I'm lucky to have help financially from my parents, so the question isn't based from a financial perspective.

I need answers, and this board is the best place on Earth to get them.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

im really sorry to have to tell you this, but i dont think its gonna be likely for admission with a 24 to an allopathic school. there are things of course that i dont know about you, but if you are not a under represented minority, or havent had some out of the ordinary situation that distinguishes you, then i would have to say chances are slim. it sucks because alot of those secondaries are just attempts to get more money out of you. the schools know full well that they will most certainly not interview you. i went through this twice already. FYI 24, 26R MCAT, 3.74 GPA, research with publication, extensive clinical exposure and so on and didnt get an interview in two rounds of applying. cali is my state residency, asian background.

now for the motivating part, there are people at all US medical schools that have your mcat score and even lower. my friend at harvard tells me there is a person who scored 22 in her class is one example. but in terms of percentages its gonna be hard, but not impossible is what im trying to say. also some state schools have lower mcat averages than others.

i wish you the best and good luck!

Typhooner1 said:
When I received my MCAT scores I posted a what are my chances thread. I got some great responses, and I appreciate those who gave their opinions.

The only other question I need answered pertains to secondaries. If my MCAT scores blow pretty bad, 24O, but the rest of my application is above average to excellent, should I continue to fill out secondaries. I believe I have 15 complete, and I've got about 10 - 15 more I haven't finished.

I'm lucky to have help financially from my parents, so the question isn't based from a financial perspective.

I need answers, and this board is the best place on Earth to get them.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Only you know what your app is like... as Hotlikebutter said, there needs to be some good stuff in there.

However, I look at it slightly differently. The price of hanging out for a year and NOT starting school is a whole lot higher than the couple grand it's going to cost to send in the 2ndaries. Get them in... put it on your Visa. If you don't get in, you'll have plenty of time to pay it off over the coming year... if you DO get in, then it'll be the best gamble you ever took.

Don't give up. Applying for a second year shows tenacity and a willingness to work hard... schools seem to like re-applicants. So, I'd say get those secondaries in... you could be the one they want!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that you should go ahead with the process since you started. don't let a 24 stop you from applying, because you'd be surprised how many students had a 24 on the mcat and are now in med school. no one person can say that you won't get in with that score, because we are not on the committees and we don not send out acceptance letters. if you have the support of your family, then I say go for it. just make sure you apply to schools that mimic your stats, maybe a few that take higher stats.

I'm in the same boat as you, only I have a 23Q. I read on another post that some schools will consider your April 2005 MCAT score if you're willing to retake. Of course there's a catch. You need to get an interview and get waitlisted. No biggy, right! :D But it is another "bright side" to the low score. If your overall app is as good as you say it is, it might be worth pursuing and try retaking next April. You may still get in for the 2005-2006 school year. If you're planning on reapplying next year anyway, you have the take the April exam, so it's really no skin off your back (other than the application fees). I know I'm planning on pursuing my applications this year. If nothing else it will be a great learning experience so I'll definitely get in next year. Good luck to you. :luck: