Technology This Laptop - Yay or No?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaustikos

Antibiotics 4 Lyfe
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about HP, they are going out of the computer business

And I don't know what a ****ing mac is but Apple computer puts out a really nice notebook computer. Those macbook airs are pretty sweet

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like 17" behemoths, but my only complaints about this model if I were forced to use it would be hard drive speed (5400rpm...go 7200rpm or add a SSD aftermarket) and the resolution of the display is barely acceptable considering the screen size. I would want 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 at a 17" screen size.

Don't worry about HP, they are going out of the computer business

And I don't know what a ****ing mac is but Apple computer puts out a really nice notebook computer. Those macbook airs are pretty sweet

Amen to MAcbook Air! It is indeed the sweetest lappy in the market. And it seems like every month, Apple's got a new innovation to share with us.

Note: That same laptop is $900 at Tigerdirect.

It sounds like you're getting a laptop that will also be a desktop replacement. Everyone is talking about it as if your only desire is portability, but I have to think that's not the case.

Personally I love my 17" Acer, I didn't get it specifically for taking back and forth and all over the place, but more as a desktop replacement, takes up less room and if I need to I can take it with me. If I was going to take a computer to school or work every day, I'd definitely consider a macbook air or 13" pro or something.

It's hard to say if that laptop is the right decision, do you need an i7? That video card might also be more than you need, not sure what you're into. This is essentially the laptop I have, and it's been great for just about anything (not into cutting edge gaming or video editing):

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AS7741G-...ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1314482839&sr=1-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131117

For that price range, am I making the right choice? If not, any other recommendations? One stipulation - no ****ing macs or HP laptops - that is all.

I think you could do much better. Lenovo usually has sales around once or twice a month where you can get some really nice Thinkpads (not the Ideapad -- those are lower end) for pretty good prices. You will do much better than $1k. Try $600-800 for a really good machine with 4+ GB and dual-core or higher processor. And I would go for something lighter weight, like a 14" at most. Even the ubiquitous 15.6" size is too large to carry around IMHO.

I'd go with either Apple or Toshiba. Love my Macbook, and may go with a Toshiba Portege if my college chemistry department requires Windows. Know that Apple makes great products, and Toshiba's laptops seem to be great as well.

It's hard to say if that laptop is the right decision, do you need an i7? That video card might also be more than you need, not sure what you're into. This is essentially the laptop I have, and it's been great for just about anything (not into cutting edge gaming or video editing):

even for gaming an i7 with a mobile chipset is overkill. unless you're constantly in need of running crazy physics simulations that not only needs real time rendering at high fps and requires hyper threading an i5 will be plenty. also gaming laptops all still run the risk of heating and uncomfortable to play on more than like 1 hour.

i too stand by lenovo, i myself have one (ideapad y460p but its got an i7 and radeon 6870... overkill but it was on sale at 1.2k usd) and the only thing i don't like is after 2 hours the palmrest gets too hot. quickly fixed that by running a fansystem over it... but it runs tf2 gorgeously at never drops below 30 fps even in a crazy battle. at 14" the only problem i had with it is never finding a good desktop picture for it. small enough to lug to school, big enough to pwn noobs. :D

at 17" if you're looking to get a desktop replacement, i'm sure you could maybe sink that money into a setup with a lanbox style pc (light but powerful desktop, good for dorms and such) and a netbook (for exteme mobility... like notes and stuff).

and if you're crazy alienware has that m17x or something like that netbook sized gaming laptop.