this made me feel better

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtlepower

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that the collective 'you' would like to hear this because it made me feel better.

I work as a research assistant in a psychiatry department. It is affiliated with a decent med school, not what anyone would call top ranked," but do we really care? We are in a large eastern city, which makes many people apply due to desireable location. I applied to med school this year and have not been accepted and have been down and discouraged, but studying for the MCAT so I can reapply this year. I have been talking to a few of the residents in the department, who I think are fabulous, and several have said to me that they had the same experience and had to apply twice or 3 times. Now, there are people who would say that this is not a "top" program, but I am friends with the residency coordinator and we get tons of applications for just a few spots. I have seen these residents present grand rounds and case conferences to the larger community and they are always well received and complemented. I would send a friend to any of them.

The point of all of this is that they have achieved what everyone here wants and are doing extremely well, and not getting accepted the first time did not matter. The other residents who I know in the program, in 9/10 of cases, did not go to "top" med schools, but more often to their state school. I don't know about academic medicine, but for people in this program who end up with clinical careers, the school they attended does not seem to matter either. The PGYIII's who applied for fellowship ALL received their first choice and are going into excellent programs.

So, this is my take on reapplying and choosing a school. You can be successful as long as you can get in eventually and the quality of the doctor, I think, is largely based on the individual, not the school ranking.

Members don't see this ad.

turtlepower, I have a question.... did you get rejected from ALL the schools you applied to? or are you still waiting to hear from a few? If so which ones? I know a few schools who interview until June! and people that got in from late interviews, so do not despair yet.

I actually have applied lets see.... 4 times (although one of those times I only applied to one school and the first time I applied I only applied to the Ontario schools). On my fourth try I got in, so do NOT despair and keep up the hope because if you want it bad enough you will eventually get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually,

I am still waiting for 5 or 6 schools, but I have not had any interviews. I know that it is technically possible, but I have to be realistic and be prepared to apply next year.

I am waiting for:

Tufts
SLU
Rush
Loyola
Drexel
Temple

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm waiting on the same list of schools as well. I'll let you know if invites/rejections are received ... hopefully it's not too late in the interviewing rounds.

talk2me,

I got my Tufts rejection in the mail on friday. Did you hear anything? I guess I'm down to 5...

My friend interviewed really, really, really late at Drexel. He was an extremely sub-par applicant, but ended up getting in at June. The only bad part is that he hates it right now (ie, got into medicine for money, go figure) and is now on the 6 year program.

I completely agree with you on the point that after you matriculate it really depends on how you perceive your medical education and its really up to you to become a successful physician. Many of the applicants Ive encountered either just want to get into med school or think that the MCAT will be hardest test they will ever take. So so so wrong.

Im glad that you have persevered and I think you truly know why you want to become a physician. I would try to write a letter to all the schools you have yet to hear from and state why the school would be perfect for you, also if you can try to send additional letters of rec or letters updating any new events (eg, volunteering at a soup kitchen). I am not sure if this will help, but hey at this point what do you have to lose? Pride? Suck it up because as a physician there will be many instances in which you will have to humble yourself. I wish you the best of luck and think of it this way, all you need is one shot to shine!! ;)