This may be a Stu-Pid question, but ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
personal circumstances caused my GPA to plummit. In two semesters I have brought my ugpa from 2.3 to 3.18 thanks to course forgiveness at my community college. I only have this semester and summer semester left b/4 I transfer to 4 year. if all goes as planned I will have a 3.25.
Heres the question. I can take a couple of extra one hour courses and get an A and it will bring my GPA up to a 3.26 maybe even a 3.27. Would that be worth it?????:confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The school may have 'course forgiveness', but AMCAS does not. Every grade will be reported on your transcript & used to calculate your AMCAS GPA - so you might need to do quite a bit more work to get yourself into the competitive range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the others said - you need to calculate your GPA as AMCAS will - use all grades with no course forgiveness.

Its unfortunate but its the fact of the matter. Use this to calculate your GPA - you'll find its much lower than what your community college is callign it.

So no, at that point it won't be worth it. Take a post bac program, get a masters in a bioscience or go for DO depending on what you want out of medicine. But even DO will be a stretch with an under 3.0 GPA.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think you will be fine (in terms of AMCAS GPA vs your school GPA) if the grade does not appear on your transcript any more.. At my school, the grade is wiped out and the class is made pass/fail and therefore, your AMCAS GPA does not come out to be lower than your school GPA.. Hope this helps

I didn't even know there was such thing as 'course forgiveness.' Hmm...must be nice to attend one of those schools.

personal circumstances caused my GPA to plummit. In two semesters I have brought my ugpa from 2.3 to 3.18 thanks to course forgiveness at my community college. I only have this semester and summer semester left b/4 I transfer to 4 year. if all goes as planned I will have a 3.25.
Heres the question. I can take a couple of extra one hour courses and get an A and it will bring my GPA up to a 3.26 maybe even a 3.27. Would that be worth it?????:confused: :confused:

b/4 you transfer to a 4 year college? Well just kick butt over your last two years... have a solid upward trend and do well in all your classes designed for your major... then get a good score on your MCAT and you'll be fine. A couple bad semesters aren't going to damage you that much if you show a good upward trend... just don't mess up from here on out because you are climbing up a slippery slope so to speak.

THANKS GUYS! I AM SO GLAD TO HAVE SUCH A STRONG PREMED SUPPORT GROUP!;) :love:

OP, medical schools don't give a crap about community college grades. They mean absolutely nothing. If you transfer to a 4 year insitution and pull out good grades, then you'll be fine. Case in point, I had a buddy who had a 4.0 in community college, then transfered to UCLA and could barely pull a 2.8...his overall GPA was still competitive, but he couldn't even smell an interview.

My roommate at UCLA went to community college, barely pulled a 3.0 and miraculously transfered (I still don't know how but he did), and then proceded to get a 4.0 GPA at UCLA. He's now at dental school at UCSF.

Well, medical schools do care about your college grades, 2- or 4-year college. Maybe a better to express yourself would be to say that excellent performance at a community college does not automatically guarantee the same at a 4-year college.

OP, medical schools don't give a crap about community college grades. They mean absolutely nothing. If you transfer to a 4 year insitution and pull out good grades, then you'll be fine. Case in point, I had a buddy who had a 4.0 in community college, then transfered to UCLA and could barely pull a 2.8...his overall GPA was still competitive, but he couldn't even smell an interview.

My roommate at UCLA went to community college, barely pulled a 3.0 and miraculously transfered (I still don't know how but he did), and then proceded to get a 4.0 GPA at UCLA. He's now at dental school at UCSF.