This study ought to bring about some interesting comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have the music off for induction and emergence. If I cannot hear the pulse ox then I tell them to turn it down. Beyond that I am not concerned unless its overly offensive.

Oh brother.......this article is from the Journal of ADVANCED (emphasis mine) Nursing so the research must have been solid. Now, had the article come from the Journal of Basic Nursing, I would have immediately dismissed it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The study does mention that surgeons tend to choose the music. This is OK for ortho and general surgery and urology and plastics and CT and neurosurgery, but a day in the GYN room listening to Sarah Mclachlin is a threat to everyone's mental health.

Reactions: 6 users
Online degrees publishing online journal articles of no quality or practical use

Oh brother.......this article is from the Journal of ADVANCED (emphasis mine) Nursing so the research must have been solid. Now, had the article come from the Journal of Basic Nursing, I would have immediately dismissed it.
Note the astounding 1.7% incidence of having to repeat a request because of the music.

We have satellite radio in every OR. The controls just happen to be next to the anesthesia carts. It's generally surgeon's preference, but if it's too loud, I/we turn it down or off.

Horrible article, both in purpose and findings.

I have the music off for induction and emergence. If I cannot hear the pulse ox then I tell them to turn it down. Beyond that I am not concerned unless its overly offensive.
The idea of offensive OR music got me to thinking... I wonder if anyone has ever played Die Mother****** by the Geto Boys in the OR...

Reactions: 1 user
The idea of offensive OR music got me to thinking... I wonder if anyone has ever played Die Mother****** by the Geto Boys in the OR...

Yes. My favorite transplant surgeon plays hardcore rap. I don't mind so much because he's willing to indulge me in a conversation about hockey before most cases get underway.

And sometimes at 3am that's what keeps you awake.

Quote from the article: "A repeated request can add 4 to 68 seconds each to operation time."

So music can potentially add ~1 minute to a case and they seriously think this is an issue that should be added to the time out. Wow.

Yes. My favorite transplant surgeon plays hardcore rap. I don't mind so much because he's willing to indulge me in a conversation about hockey before most cases get underway.

And sometimes at 3am that's what keeps you awake.
Why is it that dorky fat white surgeons seem to prefer bad @ss gansta rap? It's hilarious!

Ever seen the movie surrogates? I will tell a surgeon or nurse to turn that garbage off if its offensive. I have never had anyone challenge me about it. Then again Im also im the .mil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thankfully the surgeons where I work now have better taste in music. I really don't miss the academic guy with the gangster rap that I also had to tolerate - I wonder if this was the same guy, or if it's some kind of transplant thing?

Rap isn't offensive. Current day pop is offensive.

Reactions: 4 users
how about if you wear headphones? How does that interfere with teamwork?

I have to admit, when Another One Bites the Dust came on during a transplant not too long ago, we all kind of looked at each other and quickly switched the song. Bad juju, and considering the surgeon has like 2000 songs on his playlist, terrible timing.

Why is it that dorky fat white surgeons seem to prefer bad @ss gansta rap? It's hilarious!

Idk. But this guy is tall and pretty easy on the eyes. Super nice guy too, which makes me laugh a little thinking about the music choice.

He also will do Michael Jackson vs. Prince mashup playlist. I think that's my favorite.

Let's be honest.
Strictly speaking, any volume of music probably does interfere with communication in the OR. If you have music, quieter is probably better for communication. (I personally turn it down if I can't hear most of what everyone in the room is saying. I also turn it off at induction and emergence, and I have no idea how surgeons do the critical parts of cases with music playing)
It also makes the day happier, it gives everyone something to talk about, breaks the ice, etc, etc.

Sitting on our hospital's peer review committee, I would love to see it added to the time out process just for the lulz.

I love how their big recommendation is nurses having more input on choice of music.
The people who should be totally comfortable and get their way are the one's who if they dont get their way has the most impact on patient care. The fat circulator who just fetches this and thatshould not get her choice of music. Your quote and i know you are quoting makes no ****ing sense whatsoever.

The people who should be totally comfortable and get their way are the one's who if they dont get their way has the most impact on patient care. The fat circulator who just fetches this and thatshould not get her choice of music. Your quote and i know you are quoting makes no ****ing sense whatsoever.

Calm down.