Thoroughly unscientific, opinion based comparison, UMDNJSOM vs. MSUCOM vs. NYCOM

Dr. AK

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
What do you all think about these schools? Which in your opinion is best and why?

If you could chose to attend any of them, and had acceptances to all three, which would it be?

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
What do you all think about these schools? Which in your opinion is best and why?

If you could chose to attend any of them, and had acceptances to all three, which would it be?

UMDNJ hands down. Why? simply because it has a good reputation, higher board scores in the past and lastly a tuition that is extremely affordable.

Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
don't know about the other schools but at MSU you take gross anatomy during the summer. This will give you the advantage of "easing" into the fall semester.

About the Ads

halal meat

10+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
MSUCOM esp for primary care

However i think oos tuition is rather large.

Jpc984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If you got into msucom, does anyone mind posting their gpa and/or mcats?

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
MSUCOM has the most impressive list of residencies and fellowships. all 3 are good schools though...not a bad decision to have to make!

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

MSUCOM if I were in-state. If not, then likely NYCOM with all the surrounding hospitals. However, NJ does have its own teaching hospital, as well. I believe out of the list, MSU and NYCOM have better residency matches.

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
MSU if you're in state there. If you're not in state, it might still be your best first choice.
2nd choice should probably be NY, then UMDNJ third.

Why? Money shouldn't be the deciding factor for someone in their 20's.

Protease

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2005
Status (Visible)
Well don't you want to factor in location in reference to your current residence? They will all cost about the same if your OOS applicant. Secondly, regardless which one someone chooses you will get a good education. Personally, I'd rank them as MSU, UMD, and NYCOM based on match results, class size, location, and educational experience. Just remember, where you end up, 60% of the time, you will do well 76% all the time :thumbup:

About the Ads

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
All schools are really great.

I can tell you that NYCOM has really impressive matchlist.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Why do so many people operate under the assumption that UMDNJ has a great match list? No offense but I haven't been that impressed with it, honestly.

Why not impressed? You have to consider the institions students matched at, not necessarily the specialties, and that UMDNJ has half the students of most other osteopathic schools.

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Why not impressed? You have to consider the institions students matched at, not necessarily the specialties, and that UMDNJ has half the students of most other osteopathic schools.

People seem to have the idea they place a lot of people into competitive specialties, which isn't really reflected in the match lists I've seen from there. The institutions seem on par with other schools, but not substantially better. Compared to other schools' lists, I was expecting a lot better, and I didn't really see it, that's all.

Tones24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
Have you visited SOM before?? That place is heavenly :rolleyes:

Dr. AK

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
So far, MSU is winning, big. Is that the consensus.

Lamborghini1315

Sleep deprived
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
So far, MSU is winning, big. Is that the consensus.

If you are an out of state student, MSU could be a nightmare. I know the tuition for out of state is crazy and further a lot of MSU students go into primary care. However, it's a great school in terms of education:rolleyes:

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
Doesn't MSU have both a MD and DO school? If so, the choice should be easy - MSU. If they have an allopathic school there, that means they are more established and have more residency options,etc.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Doesn't MSU have both a MD and DO school? If so, the choice should be easy - MSU. If they have an allopathic school there, that means they are more established and have more residency options,etc.

agreed. MSUCOM is the top option between the 3, especially if money isnt a concern. Sure, you will have a greater debt, but the opportunities to place in nice residency areas is also great and you will be able to pay off the debt if you use your money well. The next option IMO is NYCOM because of all the hospitals available to rotate in while in NY, in addition to all the great allo med schools there, as well. NJ has the tuition benefit and also has an MD school too, along with having a teaching hospital. I'd say that MSUCOM and NYCOM have better match lists, but NJ isn't far behind either. I'd probably choose NYCOM if I personally had to make that decision. NY baby ...

About the Ads
W

WALKE219

Logic would tell you that would be true about MSU having both an MD and DO school. However, it is actually not true that they feed off each other. MSUCOM has 24 base hospitals for rotations while MSUCHM(MD) only has 8. Plus, MSUCOM has all the major metro areas in Michigan tied up, MSUCHM has only Grand Rapids, which is smaller than Detroit. Kind of interesting... You would think it would be the other way around..
They do share some courses, mainly in the first year, and then they split off and go their own ways, totally in the last two years. MSUCOM does have an impressive residency list 186 at last check... I think double of what CHM offers

The other two schools are really great too. One HUGE downfall of MSU for out of staters is the tuition, something like 50k a year... In fact the lady talking to us about financial aid and whatnot said out of staters can't even get it all taken care of by federal aid, which sucks over all. Then again they only accept something like 1.5% out of state..

Vix206

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
NYCOM is 43K + 7% increase every year. So almost like MSU and MSU is a much better program imo.

where did you hear 43K? last week, taryn croot said it was 37, with a 5-7% increase every year

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
where did you hear 43K? last week, taryn croot said it was 37, with a 5-7% increase every year

NYCOM tuition it self is 37 K (for class of 2010) if you have your own insurance. Otherwise, $3099 for insurance is added to the tuition. With book fees ~ 2k and Diagnostic Equip ~ 1 k, it all adds up to 43 K.

For 2011, NYCOM tuition is $38170.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
nycom is definitely not 43K. I'd go nycom if I were OOS and worried about money.

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Dr. Inviz, which school will you be going this fall?

not sure, my interview cycle isn't complete. I have 2 more interviews to go. I did get accepted to DCOM though. Once everything is complete and if I get more acceptances, then I will have a better idea. I mainly applied regionally in the southeast. However, NYCOM and NJ are schools I'd consider applying to if I wanted to go Northeast.

About the Ads

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
well by the 4th year using just the lowest 5% increase from a starting 38k it is 44.5k

big deal. it is the 4th year and not the entire 4 years that you are paying 43K+.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Personally I think UMDNJ is a better school than NYCOM. But for the sake of argument even if NYCOM is a lot better, is it $17,000/year plus added cost of living better?

FizbanZymogen

Guitar Hero Champion
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
D.C.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My understanding was that in general UMDNJ was more highly regarded than NYCOM. No offense to anyone who attends NYCOM, I'm sure its a great school but I have heard fantastic things about UMDNJ. I was invited to interview at MSUCOM but turnedd it down after really deciding that the OOS tuition just wasn't worth it for me (especially if I go primary care).

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
and 3rd year;) . and 3/4 you are paying 40k+

ok, and im sure one could still pay that off. if you're worried about the $, go to NJ then. nobody's stopping anyone from going anywhere once accepted.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
ok, and im sure one could still pay that off. if you're worried about the $, go to NJ then. nobody's stopping anyone from going anywhere once accepted.

its not whether one can afford it. it is whether it is worth it. and of course nobodys stopping anyone from doing anything? Can't I have an opinion and express it when the OP asks for one?

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
its not whether one can afford it. it is whether it is worth it. and of course nobodys stopping anyone from doing anything? Can't I have an opinion and express it when the OP asks for one?

sure, you may have your own opinion, but dont attempt to enforce your opinions on me. i could care less either way. My opinion is MSU is the best option, but 51K or more is much more expensive. My second option is NYCOM because of all the rotations possible in the hospitals in NY. NJ is nice because of the teaching hospital and the tuition. Can't go wrong either way, but I believe NYCOM also has a better matchlist.

MCATTT

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
sure, you may have your own opinion, but dont attempt to enforce your opinions on me. i could care less either way. My opinion is MSU is the best option, but 51K or more is much more expensive. My second option is NYCOM because of all the rotations possible in the hospitals in NY. NJ is nice because of the teaching hospital and the tuition. Can't go wrong either way, but I believe NYCOM also has a better matchlist.

If OP can get instate tuition for UMDNJ, than definitely it's the choice. Otherwise, very tough decision to make between NYCOM and UMDNJ due to similar tuition rate.
I am amazed by NYCOM matchlist as well.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If OP can get instate tuition for UMDNJ, than definitely it's the choice. Otherwise, very tough decision to make between NYCOM and UMDNJ due to similar tuition rate.
I am amazed by NYCOM matchlist as well.

everyone gets instate tution at UMDNJ as long as they choose to live in NJ during the med years. NYCOM does have an impressive matchlist, but you are comparing a school with 300 students to a school with a 100. You would expect 1/3 of the people in each competitive specialty.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

i can at least agree that if you are a resident of michigan MSU is the best option.

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
everyone gets instate tution at UMDNJ as long as they choose to live in NJ during the med years. NYCOM does have an impressive matchlist, but you are comparing a school with 300 students to a school with a 100. You would expect 1/3 of the people in each competitive specialty.

Yes but even if you account for class size, there is still a big difference. You don't see either the numbers or the variety or the sites on the NJ list that you see on some of the other school's lists.

Dr. AK

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
You all make excellent arguments. I just don't know. I do live in NJ and can get instate tuition at UMDNJ, but cost is less important to me then the value of my education. I will, after all, be a doctor for the rest of my life.

What if I could do a DO/PhD at MSUCOM, and have a reduced tuition (less then instate) with a stipend (yes, it is an extra three years but, I would spend that much time paying back loans anyway). What would you all recommend?

UMDNJ-SOM has all the comforts of home, but MSU, I believe, will open up more doors for me. NYCOM has a similar advantage plus the NY system of hospitals. Then again, with MSU I think I can get a residency anywhere I want. Those who have completed a DO/PhD at MSUCOM have done residency at Yale, Johns Hopkins, and the Mayo Medical Clinic. Not a bad list at all. What do you think?

Thanks.

Dr. AK

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I would love a PhD. My biggest issue is that I do not want to be limited later on in life. MSU is one of the best college in the world, its like number 60, and part of my reasoning, aside from money, is that it will open up many more doors for me.

koshka

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You all make excellent arguments. I just don’t know. I do live in NJ and can get instate tuition at UMDNJ, but cost is less important to me then the value of my education. I will, after all, be a doctor for the rest of my life.

What if I could do a DO/PhD at MSUCOM, and have a reduced tuition (less then instate) with a stipend (yes, it is an extra three years but, I would spend that much time paying back loans anyway). What would you all recommend?

UMDNJ-SOM has all the comforts of home, but MSU, I believe, will open up more doors for me. NYCOM has a similar advantage plus the NY system of hospitals. Then again, with MSU I think I can get a residency anywhere I want. Those who have completed a DO/PhD at MSUCOM have done residency at Yale, Johns Hopkins, and the Mayo Medical Clinic. Not a bad list at all. What do you think?

Thanks.

umdnj has a do/phd program as well, although I am not sure of the extent of research opportunities

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
umdnj has a do/phd program as well, although I am not sure of the extent of research opportunities

MSU and UMDNJSOM are #1 and #2 respectively in federal grant money. However, MSU counts its faculty for both the MD and DO school in that number while UMDNJSOM only counts the DO school faculty.

Kuba

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I would love a PhD. My biggest issue is that I do not want to be limited later on in life. MSU is one of the best college in the world, its like number 60, and part of my reasoning, aside from money, is that it will open up many more doors for me.

If you think it is worth it money-wise then go for it. MSU is probably the best osteopathic school in the country.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.